Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've just bought a Moroso oil pressure accumulator for my TD42 but I have three possible places to plumb it in.

There are 3 bungs on the oil coooler housing, one on the front next to the oil pressure switch and two on the back. My guess was the one on the front but I'd like to be sure before I try to remove it. Apparently heat is required to break the hold from the loctite.

Could anyone shed some light on which way the oil flows through the housing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
nissan
198 Posts
hi, sorry im not answering your question but why do you want to fit an oil accumulator?? just so you have oil pressure straight away when you start you engine or have you found volume issues with your oil pump at higher rpm? im not saying it hasnt been done but i havent heard anyone fitting them to the td42.

·
nissan
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mainly like the pre lubrication on start up and that it can supply oil pressure in the event that the oil is forced away for the pickup. I know some people will say it's not necessary but it's something I'd like to have.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,161 Posts
This may tell you something. The oil passages appear to not be separated in any way in the housing. This is a early housing with two oil filters the same. The other housings may be different.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,042 Posts
I've had some experience with oil accumulators in drag cars and they won't help with startup lubrication. Within a minute or two of shutdown all the oil has bled out of an oil accumulator. They are perfect for maintaining oil pressure when you are doing a long steep descent and all the oil has pooled in the front of the engine and can't reach the pickup. This is not usually a problem with most Patrols because their sump capacity is so large. I'd say there are better things to spend your money on but if it's what you want then go ahead, it's your money.

Cheers,

·
nissan
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys guys.

I have a electric solenoid on my accumulator that I'll wire into the ignition so that the charge is stored until the next startup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts