Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys im after some ideas on where to mount my 150l outback compressor ( the twin piston type off ebay). ive got dual batteries and it just wont fit behind the second battery against the firewall and its a bit too big to go under the seats without getting really close to the foam.
ive got rock sliders that double up as air tanks so i want to make use of them by hard mounting and wiring the compressor up to a pressure switch etc and not have the compressor taking up room in my drawers.
i saw a gu on the forum that had a compressor and tank behind the boot lining on the passenger side (near rear wheel arch) but cant find the thread anymore, also worried about locking it away somewhere and the compressor fails ill have to spend an hour trying to get to the thing to fix it!

there has to be an easy way! any ideas guys?

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
If you've got a set of drawers (which you have), why not mount the pump in front of the drawers, in the footwell of the 3rd row of passengers? If you have a cargo barrier, then you can either cut a section of the mesh out down low, so you have access to the pump....after all that low section of the barrier is not important at stopping stuff flying through and hitting you in the back of the head as the seat would prevent that from happening anyway.

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
I forget the thread, but one of the fellas on here had it mounted into his drawers, on one of the actual drawers, and the top lifted up instead of the runners being in there.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
620 Posts
I have seen them mounted behind the drawers, between the drawers and back seat, up next to the chassis rail and behind the roo bar. Even saw a fella up north that used his roo bar as an air tank!

Depends on your imagination and whatever rattles your cage I suppose

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
Even saw a fella up north that used his roo bar as an air tank
Just a word of caution about using the hoop of a roo bar or even the pipes on sliders as a receiver tank for compressed air...... Think about it long and hard before doing it!!!

100psi inside a "vessel" that wasn't designed for such stresses can end in tears.....especially given that both of those items are prone to potential damage in the normal course of their use. I know a bloke who thought it would be smart to make an air receiver tank out of 100mm sewer pipe with screw-on ends. Fortunately for him, he made it up and fitted in behind his bullbar (where a winch would normally be mounted) BEFORE he powered up his compressor. I say fortunately, because the thing exploded into a zillion pieces and could have killed him....but being hidden in behind the b/bar he was spared.

I know you will probably say that steel is a wee bit stronger than PVC (which it obviously is), but it's the welds on the ends and the long-term stresses that I'd be worried about.

Please use a proper pressure vessel.... I don't want to be reading an obituary notice for a Patrol4x4 Forum member!!!!

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Get yourself a used scuba tank. I believe they are rated at 3000 psi.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
620 Posts
Roachie Quote. Just a word of caution about using the hoop of a roo bar or even the pipes on sliders as a receiver tank for compressed air...... Think about it long and hard before doing it!!!

100psi inside a "vessel" that wasn't designed for such stresses can end in tears.....especially given that both of those items are prone to potential damage in the normal course of their use. I know a bloke who thought it would be smart to make an air receiver tank out of 100mm sewer pipe with screw-on ends. Fortunately for him, he made it up and fitted in behind his bullbar (where a winch would normally be mounted) BEFORE he powered up his compressor. I say fortunately, because the thing exploded into a zillion pieces and could have killed him....but being hidden in behind the b/bar he was spared.

I know you will probably say that steel is a wee bit stronger than PVC (which it obviously is), but it's the welds on the ends and the long-term stresses that I'd be worried about.

Please use a proper pressure vessel.... I don't want to be reading an obituary notice for a Patrol4x4 Forum member!!!!

I think you might be a little bit on the cautious side here Roachie.
Using PVC pipe is just plain stupid but using properly constructed aluminium or steel pipe is a different story. We are talking about 100psi not a 3000psi scuba tank.

Have a look at your standard cheap 4wd drive compressor and look at the hose and fittings they use to convey the air to the tyre. or the suzi lines between a truck and trailer.

Only issue I could see is it being prone to accident damage but then so is a winch or a front mount intercooler etc.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
117 Posts
I made a timber plate 360mmx150mm covered it in carpet bolted it to where the left hand side seat was bolted in then mounted the 150 to the plate hard wired it in reachs all tyres...works a treat:)

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
Roachie Quote. Just a word of caution about using the hoop of a roo bar or even the pipes on sliders as a receiver tank for compressed air...... Think about it long and hard before doing it!!!

Using PVC pipe is just plain stupid but using properly constructed aluminium or steel pipe is a different story. We are talking about 100psi not a 3000psi scuba tank.

Have a look at your standard cheap 4wd drive compressor and look at the hose and fittings they use to convey the air to the tyre. or the suzi lines between a truck and trailer.

Only issue I could see is it being prone to accident damage but then so is a winch or a front mount intercooler etc.
Marruss ,
I tend to agree with you here . I've made a few of my own air tank over the year's and have never had a problem . as you said it all come's down to using the right materials ( size and thickness are both very important.)
small diamator Pipe has a much smaller surface area at the weak points( the ends ) that large pipe , say 100-150mm . a 1.5" ID Slider with 100 psi has 176lb's of force acting on it if it's a flat end . a 6" ID pipe @ 100psi has 2827lb's of force .
alot this force can be mitigated by using the proper domed end cap's and but welding them on to the end's of the pipe as opposed to a flat plate corner to corner welded .
Volume is the only hold back with Small pipe. you obviously need alot of length to get the same volume .

By the way , I am a ticketed welder with alot of experiance in welding pipe line's and pressure vessle's . DO NOT DO THIS if you just a home handy man .
Pay the money and get someone that know's how to do it and what to look out for .

oh , and back to the original Post .
Mine was mounted where the factory Jack used to go in the rear passenger quarter pannel in a GQ .

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu iv
5 Posts
Where to mount air compressor

G'day i am fairly new in here and i hope my idea is of help to you

hellfire i have a gu iv patrol with blackwidow drawers in the cargo area, i also had the problem of where to mount my arb air compressor.

I decided on the left outer side wall of the drawer unit under the side pocket lid, i just folded a 90 degree bend in some 3mm flat plate large enough for the mounts on the compressor and bolted it to the framework (bolts facing outwards not to contact the actual drawer) then the compressr mounted so it was hanging under the bracket.

The hardest part of the job was running all the wires for the switchs and the power wires from the front of the vehicle to the rear. at the moment i only have a hose connection straight into the compressor but am looking at setting up some rock sliders as the air tanks

Hope this is of some help and good luck with the project

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts

I think what Roachie was hinting at was what can happen when a pressure vessel gets damaged and pressurised air can escape.
Even "only" 100 pounds per square inch is a damn lot of pressure (seen a tyre blow @100psi? Its like a bomb) and any shrapnel inside the pipe can do some damage and injury. I've welded tanks of all sorts and the pressure inside a vessel created by just welding it alone can be dangerous if there isn't a large enough vent hole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts