Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 model 4.5 patrol and i am looking to do some off road/camping mods. Im thinking of strating with a 4" lift and 33's maybe a snorkel and duel batteries. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
budget for now is around 10000, not in a hurry its a long term project

·
Registered
nissan
526 Posts
definitly dont need 4" of lift for 33's. iv got 4" of lift with 35's and there is still a heap of room under the guards. do a lift, muddies, and barworrk to start you off.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
rock sliders,steel bar,2 inch lift, 33's, spotties,front locker, good uhf,decent stereo for the long trips,snorkel,dual batt.

that would be a nice capable rig for touring/off road. throw in a winch if ya can afford to,always good to have

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
rock sliders,steel bar,2 inch lift, 33's, spotties,front locker, good uhf,decent stereo for the long trips,snorkel,dual batt.

that would be a nice capable rig for touring/off road. throw in a winch if ya can afford to,always good to have
X2 that's pretty much it

·
Registered
nissan patrol
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys, does the 2 inch lift have enough ground claerances for off road? I would rather do a 2" if i could but it just seems like it bottoms out easily now with no lift. Has anyone got one of those engine driven air compressors? What do you think of them, worth the money?

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
standard suspension is rubbish, they bottom out easily with stock shocks and springs. Any decent 2" upgrade will ride nice and be much firmer. If you go higher than 2" there is a swag of other things that are needed to correct camber and castor and drive angles.
I have Old Man Emu 2 inch on my 4.5 and I honestly think its more like 3". Anyhow it drives nice and tight even after 100,000kms.

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
I have Old Man Emu 2 inch on my 4.5 and I honestly think its more like 3". Anyhow it drives nice and tight even after 100,000kms.[/QUOTE]

x2 Put a 2 inch lift and got almost 75mm old man emu aswell.
Zappa

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Has anyone got one of those engine driven air compressors? What do you think of them, worth the money?
my mate has a endless air setup on his GQ, one of the best things we have,pumps tyres up in seconds

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Just get out there in it first and find out what you think you need. They are very capable stock with just decent tyres.

the children here will have you blowing $500k before you hit the dirt.

FWIW 4inch lift and 33's would look like a 1970's rollerskate.

·
Registered
nissan 2005 GU st-t wagon
66 Posts
make room for a fridge in the back:eek:

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Just get out there in it first and find out what you think you need. They are very capable stock with just decent tyres.

the children here will have you blowing $500k before you hit the dirt.

Good advice, go out and find out where it falls short for yourself, what suits you may not suit me. I have managed to get through to 200,000+ on standard suspension on all surfaces without too much trouble. Have just done a 2"+ lift with Zordo, very pleased with the outcome.

Sure, ask for advice, that's the wise thing to do but even wiser is to then put your vehicle to the test yourself, If you have a few mates vehicles with you on your escapades it is always retrievable. One of the first things to learn is knowing when to stop and rethink, Sand being a good example, it is easier to dig the vehicle out of sand up to the diff rather than sand up to the door handles.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
agreed.

if you want to keep it simple. maybe shimm the rear LSD up a bit,2 inch lift,some 33's and some body protection, she will be pretty good like that,then you can save up for lockers and endless air whilst still having a capable rig

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Why not take it out a few times stock. That way you'll know where you need your mods, and what mods you just want to keep up with all the other boys...

For what i am using mine for, stock was only just a little low, kept smashing the rear bumper on stepdowns etc... I didn't have a front bar so approach was poor, i banged up the underside of my bumper a fair bit. Few small dings underneath.

I've just put in 50mm Ironman lift - that'll do me for offroading for the time being.

Bullbar cos i will be going remote later this year and i drive on rural roads at dusk and dawn alot.

Snorkel - that was more a WANT than a NEED, but it's there for IF i need it now.

Dual batteries if you will be running auxileries such as a fridge.

As i've already said, go out a few times, and work out what you need to do what you want to do, get those first. Don't go by looks by any means. I happen to think 33s plus 4" lift looks cool. Makes it look taller ;) but 4" is uneccessary unless you're into comp style driving in which case, get another troll and mod that up. Keep your on road vehicle safe as possible!

FWIW, i'm still on stock tyres, and will think about 285s when i need new tyres.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah i see what you mean about the 4 inch lift, 2 inch sounds better to me. I used to have a hilux with no lift and that had enough ground clearance for me, just thought id ask as i didnt want to buy a lift kit then wish id bought a different one. The guys at the local 4wd shop recomended tough dog suspension, but ive been told old man emu is hard to beat, any ideas here?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts