Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Which Engine Conversion

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an Engine Conversion for my 2008 3.0 CRD Patrol - have just purchased a 3 Horse angle load float so the 3.0 will have to go. Have been advised to look at either the LS2 or Chev V8 Diesel???
Will still be looking at doing some more serious off road stuff so need something that will handle the float easily and also be good off road taking into account deep river crossings that we come up against.
I can see Pro's and Con's for each option so am lookin to you guys to give me your choice and oopinion so as I can make the final decision.

·
Registered
Nissan
527 Posts
LS2 will be much much cheaper & with some work & being careful water should not bother it really.

I went Chevy for the tourque & I have never based a decision on BS output figures off websites or in my early days off dealers & magazines.

Try to get a drive of each i was close to buying the 4.8 petty but the chevy has way more grunt & for carrying 3 horses thats probably what you want along with serious 4wding being able to drive well below 1000rpm in the bush..

Now the 4.8 will do the job but the 6.5 will do it easier but at a premium price unfortunately..

In short Petty for power & diesel for tourque..imo

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Buy a used late model Rangie for the horsefloat, and a GQ for offroading and bank the rest of your money you'd get for the 08 grenade

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
V8 diesel are what 20-25K drive in drive out
LS2 are what ???
What can you do yourself ???
What cant you do ???

If ya got the coin , go buy a F truck 7.3 turbo diesel V8
They will pull the horse float and probably every other horse float in the carpark all tied together
IF i had the $$$ and massive power was the order of the day
I would get 1 as there is nothin close to these
The patrols have different towing rates for the different engines

A truck as mentioned yep good idea
Any truck over 4.495T GVM has to have yearly inspections (in QLD any way)
And a truck licence
4.495T is a car licence
This is truck only
They can still have extra of the rear in trailers ect
My mitso canter was 4.495T and 2.5T of the rear
All on a car licence
Something to consider

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Mate, Truckster has a good point re the money you could get for the CRD, surely you could then look around and pick up an earlier model Troll with a good body and maybe a dud engine/tranny for reasonable money, and maybe even have a little loose change for the conversion.
Some of the vocal minority of the 4.2 brigade may be able to locate a blown ZD30 for you, we are always hearing how our ZD30's have no resale value, could be a cheap way out.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
I didn't vote, as IMO none of those engines are a good conversion. If you really have no faith inthe CRD, you've bought the wrong vehicle. Sell it and do as truckster suggests. But as i said in your other thread re: this... I wouldn't bother changing vehicles until i'd seen how the CRD goes. I definately would not be swapping out a perfectly good motor for a different one. I'd sell and 'up'grade to a vehicle i was confident in.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Your right there Mic,
Why sell a perfectly good car just cause it dont have enuf pulling power
Shoulda just bought a TB42 GQ to start with

If pulling horse floats was the thing to start with why the choice of car you bought

Regardless of the engine choice for a conversion ,its gunna cost alot of money to be done
Its certainly something you wouldnt do just cause it sounded good thats for sure

edit :
Ive mentioned this before
Bloke in town has a V8 diesel GU paid a friggin motsa for it 2nd hand
His 6 cylinder turbo diesel F truck out pulls it loaded all day
Food for thought

·
Registered
343 Posts
My vote was for the ls1 as they are cheep
To buy.

Then strap twin turbos on it or a super charger
And away you go in a cloud of tyre smoke.

But my real choice of engine for a conversion in a Nissan
patrol which is not on the list .

Would be a big block chev 502 with liquid gas injection
And the Nissan 5 speed manual box .

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
I think if your gonna spend the coin for a conversion I would think that buying a crew cab light truck would be the better option for pulling the float... Extra room to carry gear. In nsw if it has a gvm of 4495kg or lower you can drive it on a car licence. i would think that you wouldn't get much if any change from $10k for any conversion unless you do most of the work.

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
def not the ls1 these were the engine that uses couple of litres of oil between changes that they couldn explain, that's why the ls2 came out.
350 chev are cheap and usually reliable enough
the diesel are expensive as and if look at there power figures quite piss weak really
New component 6.5ltr Diesel Engine $12,750.00 (engine only)
6.5 Chev Diesel
6.5 ltr 397 Cubic Inches
Horsepower 170 at 3400RPM
Kilowatt 130 @ 3400 rpm
Torque 320 ft lbs at 1700 RPM
420 Nm at 1700 RPM

4.2 turbo diesel (i know yours is the 3.0 )
kilowatt 114kw @ 3600rpm
torque 360nm @ 2000rpm

small gain for massive price
i would love to stick a power stroke diesel in mine :)

https://www.powerstrokediesel.com/index.aspx?PageId=401

least it has a lot more power

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
So what are your thoughts on the suggestions so far?

·
Registered
nissan gq
90 Posts
vehicle mass
If the vehicle manufacturer has not specified the maximum towing mass, the maximum towing mass is:
One and a half times the unladen mass of the towing vehicle, provided that the trailer is fitted with brakes which are connected and in working order, or
The unladen mass of the towing vehicle if the trailer
does not require brakes.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what are your thoughts on the suggestions so far?

LS2 is looking the goods - couple of bites on the GU over the weekend so it still may be sold and we will get a GMC or F250 which I think will do the job better and at less expense??

·
Registered
127 Posts
what engine can you get legally engineered???

Just some questions,

1. what engine can you legally put in a 2008 model and have it engineered in nsw???

2. What engine from the list will pass emissions???

Might be worth asking some one who knows.

Heath

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
It does help me, but thats not what i was trying to highlight.

I was just asking what engines from the poll would be euro 4 as that is what the 2008 crd 3.0 would comply with. So if someone know if any of the motors in the poll comply then that would be interesting?? Or how you would go about upgrade them to comply.

How do you put DPF, egr, etc on a mechanical 6.5??

I dont know just thinking out loud, I did hear a rumour that a euro 4 6.5 was available. I just have not look for one.

I know what i would put in it. But thats just me i guess.

Regards Heath

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you list is the only option. Then it has to be the LS2. As the others are just out dated and nothing special. Then Heath brings up the interesting bit of what will meet emissions for an 08 Patrol.

The Chev 6.5 diesel is a very overated engine. Then theirs the 350 chev its old and carby so going to have to run straight gas. LS1, now that was the 5.7 that was in VTII commodores. Story's are they use more oil than petrol. Still an old motor and nothing special.
the LS2 is a current spec motor isn't it? So shouldn't have a problem meeting emissions. Very easy to get 300kw in a Commodore, so I think it should go well in a GU. It would also be a heap a cheaper than going for the 6.6 duramax.

What other motors are out there that might suit though. I dont think the V8 in the Cruiser is anything special. How would a XR6T out of a BF or FG Falcon go, mated with the 6spd auto. Or the 4.2lt Turbo 6cylinder out of the F-250, apparently it was favored over the power stroke.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the opinions.........................I have however committed the ultimate sin!!!

2008 CRD Patrol Sold......................... F 250 Purchased with 7.3 Litres of Pulling Power which will service our needs.

Conversion just became too hard - best option ended up with an LS2 which was going to cost approx $25k once on the road so it did not add up in the end.

Missing my Patrol already!!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
GUWorks said:
F250 Purchased with 7.3 Litres of Pulling Power which will service our needs.
Just pray the injectors never need doing :)

I think you did the right think in floggin the grenade. going to do anything to the F250? or just drive it

·
Registered
nissan
240 Posts
get a chip for the auto off your f 250 n a auto cooler now or the gear box will give u troble

1 - 20 of 21 Posts