Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new GPS covering roads, cities but also overlanding. Which system would you recommend me?
Don't have Iphone nor Ipad, but my Laptop has Ozexplorer and external USB GPS antenna. But, looking for a GPS system to mount up somewhere in my view.
No complicated map download and reliance on mobile phone coverage, nor on WIFI.

Thanks for your tips

Slainte

·
Registered
nissan
2,347 Posts
Looking for a new GPS covering roads, cities but also overlanding. Which system would you recommend me?
Don't have Iphone nor Ipad, but my Laptop has Ozexplorer and external USB GPS antenna. But, looking for a GPS system to mount up somewhere in my view.

Thanks for your tips

Slainte
My preference has always been Garmin. Never had a problem with them and my current unit is nearly 12 years old.
Regards
Harry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,305 Posts
I love my Hema HN7, had it for many years, taken me around the country.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
18,707 Posts
Is there a stand alone unit, Garmin, Tom Tom etc that runs on Google maps? I don't like using my phone.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,617 Posts
Is there a stand alone unit, Garmin, Tom Tom etc that runs on Google maps? I don't like using my phone.
I was in JB HiFi the other day looking at GPS units as my wife needs a new one, and I was thinking the exact same thing! She loves her 8 year old Garmin but the maps are so outdated that it's practically useless in Melbourne now.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
18,707 Posts
I have a Garmin at the moment it's close to 13 years old. When i got it, it had "lifetime free maps" So registed it all good, go to up date the maps doesn't work. :rolleyes: Driving over to Melbourne Tuesday i thought id go a different way via Bendigo... Well jeeze was that a mistake, at one point i was driving down dirt roads near Hanging Rock. :LOL:

Needless to say i went back home today via Horsham the way i usually go. So that unit is going in the bin, i'm done with it. Not the first times it's sent me on a wild goose chase either.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,305 Posts
I have a Garmin at the moment it's close to 13 years old. When i got it, it had "lifetime free maps" So registed it all good, go to up date the maps doesn't work. :rolleyes: Driving over to Melbourne Tuesday i thought id go a different way via Bendigo... Well jeeze was that a mistake, at one point i was driving down dirt roads near Hanging Rock. :LOL:

Needless to say i went back home today via Horsham the way i usually go. So that unit is going in the bin, i'm done with it. Not the first times it's sent me on a wild goose chase either.
Many old GPS units do not work correctly these days and the companies are not supporting them any longer due to tech reasons, I have an old Garmin and Navman in a draw which are soon to be thrown in the rubbish bin for that reason, I've had my Hema HN7 since 2014/5 and just did a full update today.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,180 Posts
I can recommend NOT to get a Navman. I bought one a few years ago & it's the biggest POS. It died the first time I tried to update the maps & was replaced under warranty. It died again just after the warranty ran out, but I got them to replace it again under implied warranty laws. I'm note game to try updating the maps again in case it dies again.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Thanks for your tips

Slainte
Most gps units like Garmin, Navman and the like won’t do off road stuff, in fact I find them to be somewhat unreliable outside of major centres. I think you are better off having two systems. Use your phone with google maps for city and on-road navigation, and pick a quality 4x4 mapping product for off road work. I use memory map on my iPad with Hema maps for my touring and off road needs, but there are other ones out there such as oziexplorer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan
700 Posts
I recently purchased Garmin rv775 mts,
Seems ok so far, has hema maps on it, lifetime map updates
Will see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
18,707 Posts
Just had a look at them, nice unit but way to expensive for the amount of time I use them. I only stick mine in the car when I'm going away which isn't very often.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
228 Posts
I’ve got a second hand (eBay) Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 running ozi explorer for big trips, google maps on iPhone for the rest.
You’ve already got OEx on your laptop, buy a gps enabled 10” android tablet on eBay ($100?), the android version ($25?) of OEx and transfer your maps across from your laptop and you’re done.
Hema to me looks expensive and small compared to my tablet. Been using for past 7 or 8 years.
Oh, just upgraded to a nice RAM Mounts tablet mount too. :)

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I’ve got a second hand (eBay) Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 running ozi explorer for big trips, google maps on iPhone for the rest.
You’ve already got OEx on your laptop, buy a gps enabled 10” android tablet on eBay ($100?), the android version ($25?) of OEx and transfer your maps across from your laptop and you’re done.
Hema to me looks expensive and small compared to my tablet. Been using for past 7 or 8 years.
Oh, just upgraded to a nice RAM Mounts tablet mount too. :)
I have been running the same setup for years, can even see it without glasses (for now) has been faultless.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
556 Posts
Garmin GPSMAP 276CX, updated version of the 276C
Anything else is pointless for off-road use.

BTW - Garmin Lifetime maps is "Lifetime" i.e. until Garmin say it's no longer current. Did you think "Lifetime Updates" was for your or your GPS's lifetime. You're dealing with Uncle Scam here.

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
The daughter recently got her a licence and a car. On her P plates, she's not allowed to touch the phone, so whilst there is Google Maps on her phone, she can't use it.

Like most, I went looking for an in-car setup that would give years of updates. I also came to the conclusion that Google Maps is very useful and personally hard to beat, so I went a different approach.

I got her a Joying Android radio. Since her radio wasn't that great, replacing it wasn't a real problem. We got her a single-DIN one with a 7" screen, but they have plenty to choose from.

This way you can use Google Maps around the city and install OziExplorer for going for drives.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I had the same issue with my garmin with free lifetime maps. I ended up ringing garmin and they took me through the process step by step and now it's 100% up to date.
Apparently when I registered for free maps I didn't complete the process, even though I received an email to say I had.
So maybe give them a call and make the most of your lifetime free maps.

·
Registered
nissan
580 Posts
HX1 for three years and yes expensive, however fantastic after sales service, easy to use and reliable. Primarily for off road use and has best off road maps I've seen. Probably better options, not that I could find for my purpose though.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
16,624 Posts
Samsung Galaxy 10.1 running Hema for off road and HERE WeGo for street (which I found the best as it gives you several routes from A to B, handy.)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts