Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as title says, getting little tired and bored with the TD42+t, s am and have been thinking about an engine conversion for a while now

with the v8s which is if any the cheapest and easiest option to look at

·
Registered
nissan
418 Posts
Go a LS2, L98 or LS3 mate.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
as title says, getting little tired and bored with the TD42+t, s am and have been thinking about an engine conversion for a while now

with the v8s which is if any the cheapest and easiest option to look at

The holden 5 litre is the cheapest to buy (both motor and adapters) and easiest to fit. If you run straight gas you don't even have to run a computer. You could always add a turbo if you want more zip further down the track.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
id go a 304 cheap and easily accessible

you could buy a whole running car for 1k and you'v got everything you need except the bellhousing

plus an upside, parts are extremely cheap for the holden motors and lots of 253-308 parts bolt right on too

if you do go a 5lt id make sure you look around for a HQ sump and oil pickup line

and when you think that motor is not enough any more, bolt on two hairdryers or even better valley mounted blower, upgrade cam, bigger throttle body, ect ect and watch the so called out dated motor fly :D

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
if budget was a concern i'd go the holden too, they make more torque down low than the chevs but dont' make near the same power and are heavier.
blower will make 300rwhp and a ****load of low down torque, just what you want in your forby:)

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
and when you think that motor is not enough any more, bolt on two hairdryers or even better valley mounted blower, upgrade cam, bigger throttle body, ect ect and watch the so called out dated motor fly :D
meh, done all that before (with the exception of twin turbo's) and still nothing special, especially when going from a 1400kg commodore to a 2.7 ish ton patrol (which would be the average patrol weight with barwork and stuff).

There's no doubting the 5l will be the cheapest to do but why go to all the trouble to get roughly 170-180 rwhp when for about the same money you could get that out of the td42 and have better economy. The Ls series motors have so much more power potential it's not funny.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
meh, done all that before (with the exception of twin turbo's) and still nothing special, especially when going from a 1400kg commodore to a 2.7 ish ton patrol (which would be the average patrol weight with barwork and stuff).

There's no doubting the 5l will be the cheapest to do but why go to all the trouble to get roughly 170-180 rwhp when for about the same money you could get that out of the td42 and have better economy. The Ls series motors have so much more power potential it's not funny.
trouble is with the TD42+T I have currently it's no power house but it's also not slow for aTD but it runs the factory N/A GQ gear so to even think about decent power you need an Injector pump with about 3k worth of mods to it

guess I'm starting to get bored with what I have and the power it puts out, it's not shy and it's no race horse either

if I had 25K spare would be going the dura max options with out a blink of the eye

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Id really love to compare what sorta power the TD42T and the costs compared to a 5L or even 5.7L
Recon the 5.7L well the TD42T , would it know whats goin on
Considering that a TD42 with a turbo the TB42s will shake it down,id wonder what a 5.7L would do

You have to compare a diesel and turbo and intercooler ,EGT guages,boost gauges blah blah
Vs a near stock , i wont worry about it,V8

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I know of a stroked 355 Holden fuelly motor in a GQ in Melb, it makes over 430hp and goes very well.

Holden V8's are cheap, make better grunt down low than a Gen3 (especially when stroked) and adaptor kits are cheaper. I believe you have better clearances etc with a Holden V8 then a chev too.

·
Registered
nissan
418 Posts
Holden motors are absolute junk mate...Don't waist your money...You can get an LS1 making 400bhp with minor mods...Spend the little bit extra now for an LS engine...You wont regret it mate.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
I wouldn't say the 5L is complete junk. The LS1 is better in every way, but that's just technology. The 5L are still a good motor, and are much cheaper then an LS1.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
Holden motors are absolute junk mate...Don't waist your money...You can get an LS1 making 400bhp with minor mods...Spend the little bit extra now for an LS engine...You wont regret it mate.
the holden 304 aint no junk and definitely not a waste of money
compare the price range between the two then add the extra cost of the ls1 to mods for the 304 you'v got the same horsepower plus extra reliability over the ls1 motor

they are simpler easy and cheaper for parts and to rebuild, the wiring harness is simpler and cheaper to mod for another vehicle and second of all last time i checked this is for a 4wd not a race car or race truck.

a stock 304 with small cam to give extra grunt down low (towing cam even tho not needed) will give the GQ more then enough power to over come anything plus great fuel economie to boot and cost what? 1000-1500 grand for running and drivable VN commodore there is everything you need for the conversion minus the bellhousing for the GQ gearbox

last time i checked the cost of an LS1 engine was up in the 3k ballpark

sorry to say if i was after a budget v8 conversion i know exactly without any doubt what id be doing specially as iv played with alot of both of these engines myself :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts