Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

which Kinu 18g for a DC3 on a GQ

9K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  klappers 
#1 ·
Now i have searched, read all turbo threads and still cant really answer my question. what have people got and would you do it again?

I have a DC3 11mm boost compensated pump (170hp) on my GQ and am now looking to replace the denco turbo with an 18g.
what size rear housing.....8cm which from what i have read can come with and .57 A/R (kinu) or .64 (Mamba). obviously .57 will boost earlier.
or 6cm rear housing (.4 A/R)
I want earlier boost/torque/power and a turbo that actually reaches full boost by 2000rpm and not 3000rpm if pushed (denco). I am worried about the 6cm choking up top if i go that way....

cheers

#2 ·
Depends how much power you are looking to make?
I have used the .48 housing with garrett turbo's for years, they do have restriction top end, but if your goal is massive amounts of down low torque and a peak figure of say 130-140kw then its not a problem.
You can also modify the wastegate to flow considerably more to relieve the backpressure on a small AR turbo.

I personally would like peak torque around 2000-2200rpm and significant power at 3200rpm that continues to climb towards 4000rpm.
For this something around .6AR is ideal provided the comp and turbine wheels are not to big to get your target boost at 2000rpm.

#9 ·
Depends how much power you are looking to make?

I personally would like peak torque around 2000-2200rpm and significant power at 3200rpm that continues to climb towards 4000rpm.
For this something around .6AR is ideal provided the comp and turbine wheels are not to big to get your target boost at 2000rpm.
cheers DieselTuner. What you describe there is pretty much what I am aiming for. I would ideally like the make as close to the power the pump is rated for (170hp), but driveablitiy, boost response and a nice torque curve is more important than overall peak power.
Would the 18/8 with .57 A/R be ok for this? or am I better sacrificing a little top end and going for the 6cm .41 A/R?

The denco works ok once you hit 1800-2000rpm, but can only achieve 10psi by 2000rmp if flogging it and will just hit 14psi at 3000rpm again if flogging it. Boost response and down low driveabillity is terrible with these turbos, they are a slug!

#3 · (Edited)
So would this fall in that category DT ad says its already setup to bolt onto a low mount TD42.

Compressor Wheel : 53.1 mm / 71 mm/Trim 56 (11+0 GTX Billet Wheel w/ Extend Tip)
Turbine Wheel : 47.0 mm / 53.8 mm / Trim 76
Compressor Housing Inlet OD: 3” / 76.2mm
Compressor Housing Outlet OD: 2” / 51.3 mm
Compressor Housing A/R: .60
Turbine Housing A/R : .64
Turbine Inlet Flange : T3
Turbine Outlet Flange : STD TD42 6 Bolt Flange

#10 ·
So would this fall in that category DT ad says its already setup to bolt onto a low mount TD42.

Compressor Wheel : 53.1 mm / 71 mm/Trim 56 (11+0 GTX Billet Wheel w/ Extend Tip)
Turbine Wheel : 47.0 mm / 53.8 mm / Trim 76
Compressor Housing Inlet OD: 3” / 76.2mm
Compressor Housing Outlet OD: 2” / 51.3 mm
Compressor Housing A/R: .60
Turbine Housing A/R : .64
Turbine Inlet Flange : T3
Turbine Outlet Flange : STD TD42 6 Bolt Flange
Mamba ?

#4 ·
That is just a garret gtx2871 internally.

IMO the second worst turbo ever used on a TD42, shortly behind a gt2876.

Peak boost would occur somewhere around 2400rpm or there abouts and would require alot of fuel to even achieve that...

For a tow setup, if you want to look at garrett turbo's instead of Mitsubishi then you should be considering anything in the range of 2863/2867/3063/3067. Housing of .48 IMO for the larger of the turbo's and up to you what you pick on the smaller ones.
Top end power will be limited with the small housing but low down torque will be extreme.

If you wanted to stick with the Mitsu turbo's I would wait until Matt has finished further R&D on his products then decided either a 16G large/small.

#5 ·
Thanks
It will be interesting to see what Matt's has lined up . Im thinking a new comp housing with large cast letters so no one can mistake its origins for a start . Unfortunately its way out of budjet and would cost just as much as i paid for the patrol hence the question about one of eiji-takada's turbos. Thanks for the heads up on that particular model being a lemon.

#7 ·
Just buy a stock ht18 setup if the price is the most important part. You should be able to get a full setup for about $300-$600
Good enough for 100-110kw atw on 14psi.

Klappers: The only time the wastegate reduces the PR is when its open. To have it being reduced on spool up would just make the turbo lazy to come on boost.
But once it is up on boost, having more flow can definitely have benefits on some setups.
Prior to peak boost yeah, doenst really matter what is there.

#13 ·
It depends which housing they are refering to with the sizing.
I talk in T3 always, but not every company does this.
In T3 in the vacinity of .52-.55 would be the most ideal.

.41 is probably margianlly to tight IMO. The .48 offerings for garrett is still slightly to small but do offer really good spool up which suits alot of setups not chasing mega power.

How these relate for you in square cm housing measurement I dont know really. Its not something I have ever really had to deal with, only in high hp petrol. And They were always 8cm+ never a metnion of AR on those turbo's.

#14 ·
yeh all T3.
cheers for the input/info DT, has given me something to think about. Leaning toward the .57 i reckon, certainly isnt going to be any worse the the asthmatic denco haha!

#16 ·
Just worried about losing a bit of power up top/choking. im not chasing big HP but would like to make the most of what the pump is capable of. I live in SA, so that means sand, lots of sand haha, so power up top is kinda important

#18 ·
#19 ·
Interesting that two 8cm2 housing have different AR. Anyways that kinu is what I had in a 16G. It does spool ok as long as its set up properly. I had 4 inch into turbo which makes it so much nicer to drive and should be one of your first mods before anything else. One of our member has a 18G/8cm billet wheel with a DC6 making 20psi well before 2 grand. He is using a accurate boost gauge which helps i guess. Ported wastegate and port matched housing blah blah...

#20 ·
Mmm thats what I thought, hence the original question....
Yeh already got a 4" snorkel, then 3" from airbox to turbo.
cheers Klappers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.