1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 3.0CRD 2012
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I own a 2012 3.0CRD Manual Patrol
Looking at powering up for towing etc. Have decided on a 2.5' Free Flow exaust with dump pipe, but am looking on some advice on a chip.
Was thinking of the Red Dirt Diesel Chip - Stage 2 @ $1,299 direct from Red Dirt. Then fitted and dyno
Seems to be some bad info on the net and would appreciate comments
Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unichip. Will look into them
Thought 3" may not have enough back pressure and was told i may still have some dead spots

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Its only the pre common rail patrols that suffered from overboost spiking using a 3" exhaust system.

There is little to no difference between the two anyway, but the 3" is marginally better through the mid range and top end, and the 2.5" normally makes a little more torque down low.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,293 Posts
Its only the pre common rail patrols that suffered from overboost spiking using a 3" exhaust system.

There is little to no difference between the two anyway, but the 3" is marginally better through the mid range and top end, and the 2.5" normally makes a little more torque down low.
Thank you, this is something we say often, particularly for the DI, but a lot just don't get it.

Oh, and to the OP, another vote for the Unichip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, this is something we say often, particularly for the DI, but a lot just don't get it.

Oh, and to the OP, another vote for the Unichip.
Thanks for the great advice geeyoutoo and DieselTuner

The standard engine goes great in low range 4WDing, its just with the boat hooked up on the road that she lacks a bit. Therefore I think its the low range torque i'm after to prevent changing down up the hills so often. So will go the Unichip and 2.5"

Also wondering with the chip and dyno, will it all go well if i unplug and then plug back in for dealer servicing, or would i require re dyno? Or is it easier to find another mechanic for ongoing services?

Thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Everything else aside, find a decent local mechanic for all servicing and non warranty repairs.
Dealerships are thieves and have terrible service in comparison to most independent shops run by honest folks.

You can get a plug and play harness for the unichip that makes it very fast to remove it and totally untraceable.
Or you can have it hard wired in with a small terminating plug that you simple put over the end when you pull the unichip out if required.

The small patch harness that is installed in the wiring loom can easily be taped onto the main harness concealing it from anyone unless they start pulling all the harness apart looking for a problem.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,293 Posts
As DT says it's quite easy, I got my Dtronic when the truck was a year old, I would just unplug it when it went in for service, after a while I got sick of doing that and nothing was ever mentioned.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
1,210 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
You can either use that plug and play style setup, or have it hardwired which would be a bit cheaper generally.

in my opinion, yes even with a plug and play chip pre tuned you should get it at least checked on the dyno by someone experienced with unichip and diesels.
Every car is different. I can load a unichip map of an identical car and chances are its not really perfect or even close to it 75% of the time.

Forget the needle and dawes valve. Those issues were mainly for DI cars that used the air flow meter for boost control. The CRD Patrols use the map sensor and have a very accurate and stable way of controling the boost.
Best part is even with a simple plug and play unichip, it gives the tuner control over the boost.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,823 Posts
I didn't know it had water and egt protection on a sliding scale. I thought it just returned to stock tune till it reach safe operating temps.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Nope it has water/egt and a 3rd option for air temp or any other input you like.

Can add or subtract from the numbers in the requested table (fuel/timing/boost etc..)
Or multiply.
So by multiplying by zero, you eventually end up back to stock when the value reaches your target.
BUT! You can actually reduce that even further by using your spare map to start pulling more fuel out of the engine if it goes beyond very hot for example.

Potential of what you can do with one is only limited to the users knowledge of the product and tuning in general.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chip & exaust fitted

Hi guys

Just a bit of an update. I have had my new 2.5' exaust fitted and then the Unichip. I could notice a small difference with the exaust, possibly 5-10% but a bit hard to say. Then had the Unichip fitted and Dyno with 33.3% more torque and 24% more power. Extremely happy with the result and the rig goes great now.

One thing I noticed the other day up bush, I don't seem to have quite the same engine breaking in low range 1st gear on steep hill decents, finding i now need to feather the break a lot more. I assume this would be due to the exaust?? Is this normal and is there anything that could be done to improve this. I don't really want to go down the line of reduction gears etc.

Interested in your views
Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts