Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a stock standard 4.2 Diesel trayback GQ and was wanting to turbo it in the near future. Have got various prices of kits starting from $3100 - $3900 - all different models and brands ie Garrett, Schweitzer etc. Just wanting to have a set up of the spooling coming in at approx 1500rpm and pushing on through mid to highs.

Also does anyone advise to get a new set of injectors when getting the turbo fitted?

I am aware of the extra associated costs of the change of exhaust system whether it be the 21/2" or 3"inch running of the provided 3" dump.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

WOLF

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Question is very commonly asked. You should search.
theres so many different opinions its like tyres,. depends on your budget and use too.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
I am very happy with the DTS, power and economy. Depends how many kilometers your engine has done regarding injectors and the usual practice is exchange with reco's. A pre installation dyno will tell you how your injectors are.
See if you can find the post by 'Toughdiesels' on turbo testing.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,121 Posts
X2 on the DTS system.

If you haven't had your injectors serviced recently, get them reconditioned as part of the job.

3" system makes a real difference.

·
Registered
nissan
642 Posts
go the denco switzer, lovely sounding turbo and also good power maker....

·
Registered
nissan
294 Posts
Just fitted a DTS kit to my 88GQ at 370 000ks wish I had it done years ago its like a new car to drive very very happy

i bought the kit fitted it myself then took it back for a tune

just remember with the DTS ya need a 3/8bsp socket welded into the sump for oil drain/return

·
Registered
459 Posts
Another very happy DTS customer. When I was looking around before making my decision I found the DTS had the best low rpm torque of any system I found.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ive got the safari turbo kit n fmic very happy with the set up plus ive got hiflow injectors... What a differnce that makes, great for towing n crusing around, but if u are wanting lots power n noise go with the denco kit with fmic a mate has that on his 89gq n it fly's with heaps of totque.... Also go with a straight tru 3' system

·
Registered
216 Posts
what Benos said x2 and I get boost from about 1200-1300 all the way to red

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
if your up to it Give DIY ago it cost me just shy of $900 and i am extremely happy with the outcome thats including top mount cooler and straight through 3" exaust. i have a build thread int he DIY section someware if you wish to suss it out.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
got my kit from adelaide turbo services.
its a custom kit cost me 4 grand plus 3" zorst
its a dts manifold. big garret turbo and mtq 3' zorst
and i LOVE it. spools fast stays on hard from about 1250 to 3200
ring bill at ATS he knows his **** inside out and is a top bloke.
there number is 08 83772511

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Does sound nice but no it is NOT a good power maker.
VERY good for a basic upgrade but that's it.
150+ RWkW with a DTS, over a 1000+ RPM range.
Let's see you do that reliably with a Schwitzer S2A.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq ute y60
3 Posts
Originally Posted by turbogq

hmm not sure where your getting info from the denco tubo will make heps of power if you get rid of the denco dump pipe and put a mandrel in better flow dont get turbo surge under higher boost keeps on boost for longer higher revs

·
Registered
nissan patrol
831 Posts
How many kms on the motor,was thinking of updating my ancient turbo with got about 340,000 on the motor.
Is it still safe to do so?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Yes, as long as the engine is in good condition and you keep boost pressures at sensible levels, should be all good.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
16 Posts
Originally Posted by turbogq

hmm not sure where your getting info from the denco tubo will make heps of power if you get rid of the denco dump pipe and put a mandrel in better flow dont get turbo surge under higher boost keeps on boost for longer higher revs
hey mate , where can you get a dump pipe fabricated for the denco kit? im having a bit of trouble because the turbo is mounted a long way back and the existing dump pipe is very close the the firewall.

·
Registered
nissan
496 Posts
hey mate , where can you get a dump pipe fabricated for the denco kit? im having a bit of trouble because the turbo is mounted a long way back and the existing dump pipe is very close the the firewall.
same here im looking for new dump since im pretty sure mine is stock denco but 3" which is only 2 1/2 which ive heard..

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
I've got the turbo glide high mount GT2860BB kit, made a huge difference all round!
I still have to get my injectors sorted out though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts