Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I'm trying to find some hubcentric wheels for my trailer, but I'm not having much luck.

The trailer has what they call Ford hubs, but every Ford wheel I've tried is not hubcentric.

Hilux 2wd and Hiace wheels? Na, the centre hub hole diameter is too large on them too.

The PCD is 5x114.3, which is very common, but the hub bore diameter of 63mm or 2.5 inch is not.

Does anyone know of a suitable wheel?

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that mate, that's some good info there, but not completely comprehensive, coz it is missing some, Jeep and Hilux for instance.

From that list the closest is 64.1mm which is close, but it might aswell be 100mm, coz it's still not hubcentric.

Thanks for the link mate.

Still searching! Haha

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
willys jeep are they the same?

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
willys jeep are they the same?
Maybe you could tell me, don't you have a military Jeep based trailer?

I know the wranglers and cherokees have a 5x114.3 PCD, but they have a large hub bore diameter.

My research has shown that the majority of trailers in Australia are running studcentric wheels, it's obviously ok to do so, but I just don't like the idea, I'd much prefer hubcentric wheels

·
Registered
9,518 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
528 Posts
When I changed wheels on my vy maloo I needed thin nolathane shims. Apparently very cheap and come in a range of sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Its a unimog thing, understand?
452 Posts
was going to suggest what others have said..do a search for Rim Spigots if the centre bore is too large, otherwise plenty of places can machine out the centre to fit.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Maybe you could tell me, don't you have a military Jeep based trailer?

I know the wranglers and cherokees have a 5x114.3 PCD, but they have a large hub bore diameter.

My research has shown that the majority of trailers in Australia are running studcentric wheels, it's obviously ok to do so, but I just don't like the idea, I'd much prefer hubcentric wheels
Am I correct in thinking that the wheels I removed rested on the hub as they were also for use on rail way tracks. I have no idea what the hub size is or the pcd x5 is off the top of my head. I dont even know if there are different hubs for different use.

I did order new hubs and wheels so I look on the internet and get back you what they were.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
the correct answer to any wheel question is: Walker evans.

They are made as a blank to suit offset, then machined to whatever center hole, bolt pattern, and PCD you can come up with. Complete customization. you can even pick the pitch you want on the wheel nut seat.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've found out that trailer hubs, across the board, are designed to be studcentric so I'm just gonna live with it.
That at least means that I only need tyres and can keep the the wheels.
I did look into the hubcentric rings, but couldn't find them in the diameters I need, in any case most of them are plastic and are intended to centre the wheel on the hub, not support the weight through the hub.

Thanks for your replies fellas.

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
That would explain why you see so many trailers missing wheels.
I was always of the belief that the hub centre was to carry the weight and studs just to retain wheel.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would explain why you see so many trailers missing wheels.
I was always of the belief that the hub centre was to carry the weight and studs just to retain wheel.
Yeah, but to be fair, I reckon most of the trailers ya see on the side of the road with missing wheels is due to wheel bearing failure,, wheel bearings being another aspect of trailer parts that aren't designed that well.

I agree, I don't like the idea of the studs carrying the weight either, but that's how all (from my research anyway) trailer hubs are designed.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,995 Posts
the correct answer to any wheel question is: Walker evans.

They are made as a blank to suit offset, then machined to whatever center hole, bolt pattern, and PCD you can come up with. Complete customization. you can even pick the pitch you want on the wheel nut seat.
I was about to say I was surprised that you hadn't suggested walker evans in this thread yet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts