Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonka is getting a replacement donk is going in mid jan. TD 2.8

So ive been thinking about it and discussed it with the wife, that now would be the ideal time to chuck some goodies into it while the motor is out.

Im thinking a new maf, and a pwr rad.

I plan on keeping this truck till my dying days so im striving for longevity.

What else would you guys recommend keeping in mind that i wont be selling it, and want it to last.

No i dont want to do a conversion. I actually like the performance and economy of the 2.8.

The truck is my weekend cruiser/beach fishing vehicle. Not towing anything.

thanks for any input

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
gday mate,
i just done the same, except a TD42
new clutch (if manual), new engine mounts, replace the rear main seal while its out, and new hoses/belts, and maybe check the viscous fan hub also....good time to replace all of that stuff while its out, makes life easier.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm clutch is a good idea, what clutch would you recommend

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Troy just sussin out the are coolers now on their website, they look orite. Tonka already has a snork

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2.8td gu st
249 Posts
Tonka is getting a replacement donk is going in mid jan. TD 2.8

So ive been thinking about it and discussed it with the wife, that now would be the ideal time to chuck some goodies into it while the motor is out.

Im thinking a new maf, and a pwr rad.

I plan on keeping this truck till my dying days so im striving for longevity.

What else would you guys recommend keeping in mind that i wont be selling it, and want it to last.

No i dont want to do a conversion. I actually like the performance and economy of the 2.8.

The truck is my weekend cruiser/beach fishing vehicle. Not towing anything.

thanks for any input
injectors cleaned, manifold cleaned n all thru out where soot might be get the turbo n intercooler checked out make sure there giving the head some attention tappets adjustment and the head a clean out inlet n outlet so sign of soot,,, basicaly a massive clean out of soot and oh yer 3inch dump straight thru would match up with your donator chip nicely with a cpl gauges boost n egt get the ecu talk if you havent aswell...

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
I used an Exedy Safari Tuff clutch. its got a great feel to it and seems very durable so far. make sure you do the spigot and thrust bearing also. (they should come with the clutch kit)

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
In my zd30 rebuild I changed the clutch too. I did a solid flywheel in replacement to the dual mass. I used the clutch industries 4 terrain and absolutely love it. Highly recommend it for a clutch replacement.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
How much money do you wish to spend on it? Sit down, work out how much your willing to spend before you agree to anything - think it thru with your brain/wallet not your heart.

Gets costly really quick... Theres 3 blokes ended up costin them ~$11,000 for a 2.8 rebuild each.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/218811-post14.html - Jed regretted rebuilding his http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/212569-post33.html AND http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/rd28t-rebuild-26210/index2.html +
i cant afford a 4.2 cos i'm still paying for the repairs on the 2.8 i sold 2 months ago after 3 years of misery
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/211711-post17.html
Mine cost about 11k by the end of it.
Top and bottom end. New head as the original was warped.
Included new water pump and timing belt/tensioner etc.
Not fun...
I just did this with my 98 GU 2.8

New Nissan pistons, rings, oil pump, gaskets, timing belt and pulleys
New head, reconditioned turbo, New solid flyweel and clutch
New injectors, machined block etc
$11,600
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/cost-2-8-diesel-rebuild-26938/

Just saying sit back with a pen and paper and think first - if your going long term, then its going to be over $10-15k. If your planning on keeping it long term, you'd be going a fully reconditioned engine as you wouldnt waste time with the wrecker job with few mths warranty. And as your suggesting at the start, if your going to do it - do it once and do it right. You just have to work out if its affordable, and the best option for you at this point in time.

With all the mods being recommended you are probably more than 75% on the way to another car or an engine upgrade (even though you said you dont want to, just suggesting options).
Phil my clubs Treasurer has just been thru this EXACT same thing with his 2.8 which he too loved, some bearing let go on the front of engine on his maiden voyage with his brand new campertrailer and destroyed the engine. He traded it (got good trade in price to!) on a late model grenade.

If you go with the recommendations below, your up towards the $5000-6000 mark (rough guestimate)+ engine(2000-11000k depending what option you go for). You can get another 2.8 for $10-13k or a grenade 4.2, 4.8 Petrol on gas for a few more shekles...

eg: the actual replacement engine (is it a reconditioned one or from a wrecker?) $2000-5000?)
fuel pump rebuild ($1-1500)
injectors cleaned properly not sure $500-1000?(1000 price I was quoted for my GQ few years ago from place in bayswater)
intercooler (1000)
PWR radiator (1000)
dyno tune (few hunge)
new clutch (nutha grand)
new engine mounts
rear main seal
and new hoses/belts
viscous fan hub also (few hunge for the last lot)...

Glad Im not in that position, it would be a very hard decision to make. Good luck.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
What Truckster say needs carefull consideration, and having said that who knows what you'll find in the alternative truck.

I was lucky enough to get a turbod gq for $3500. I use it to tow for work purposes. If it breaks down enroute I'll lose upward of a grand/day, so it needs to be reliable. Mind you if your of on a holiday same applies.

I 've replaced everything in the cooling system, suspension, stereo and am working on the intercooler, well Matt McInnes is. i still recon I'm in front, I am gaining an intimate knowlege of the vehicle, with the help of you guys.

I lost $35000 in on a brand spanking 100 series, all written of through business, but its still a loss. So i'll stick with the gq, if i need a new motor I'll pm Truckster and find out where that brand new crate engine TD42 is for around $8000.00 and I'll still be in front.

Not a fan of paying for labour unless absolutely necessary, why should they have all the fun, but it definitely impacts on the cost of things and the decisions that Trucksters pointed out.

I'm with you on the keeping it forever, altough you need to make sure it properly covered by insurance for the true value.

The only other point is for similar $, a td42 would have a higher resale.:p

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good post truckster.

couple of things i should have mentioned.

1.I already have a brand new cylinder head.
2. I have already sourced a reco bottom end for $2700 from a forum user here.

So those things have been taken care of already.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gotta say im surprised by the cost of that fuel pump rebuild! wow thats up there isnt it

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
gotta say im surprised by the cost of that fuel pump rebuild! wow thats up there isnt it
Yup,

The DI ZD30 is upto $5.5k new, upto $2.5k exchanged for a rebuilt one.............:headwall::headwall::headwall:

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
some good reading in those threads truckster

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
T0nka said:
I have underquoted there and other things too. but it gives you an idea.

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
Tonka

As much as i love my 2.8 if the day comes i will look down the path of a ls1 or ls2, i had a vx ss and i really enjoyed this engine, heaps of power upgrades in many different combos and i think they are quite easy to get a hold of on a crate ready to rock n roll, but if you want to keep a Turbo D in there then that kills my option. Just my thoughts, im sure people will disagree, i hope it neva happens to me, but on the other hand if you have the coin to get the good old 2.8 up and running stronger than ever then just go for it, who cares

Cheers

Phil

Phil

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
its going to cost close you thousands, its tragic, but you arent getting out of it now. think carefully about trading it on another patrol, or selling the head and doing a conversion.

why is this car special? what do you love about this car? why cant you love the next one the same or more? the money you have spent is gone. . . . .im real sorry for you man, and im not trying to offend, but trucksters post is the truth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts