Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi People,
My young fella has just bought himself a 04 Manual 3lt wagon and it has developed a whirring noise when changing down gears. Mainly from 3rd to 2nd. It seems to only happen when the speed is slightly too high for 2nd gear and only when the clutch is depressed. When the car has slowed to a suitable speed for 2nd gear, the is selected and the clutch is released the noise goes away. The noise some something similar to a whirring bearing.
This ones got me a bit bit confused. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's the syncro's in the gearbox making the noise......basically if you here this whirring noise slow down a bit before engaging a lower gear. I you continue to do this it will end up damaging the syncro's.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Does it make the noise when stationary and engine running, if the clutch is lightly pushed. A release bearing can make a niose similar to this. In theory however, it should be happening in every gear if this was the case, but it's something else to rule out.

·
Registered
Nissan
72 Posts
As eddi said probably a syncro, second gear usually cops more abuse than the others.

Is he rev matching for the change down(heel & toe)? So changing from 3 to 2 is he blipping the throttle to match what the revs will need to be when 2nd is engaged?
Or is he more pulling hard on the gear stick into 2nd and waiting for it to slot in?

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Guys, No it doesn't make a noise when stationary and the clutch is depressed slightly. I originally thought it may have some thing to do with the clutch when he was explaining it to me but when I took it for a drive the clutch and gear selection is fine. Which made me think it may have something to do with the gear box. I'll try and explain it a bit better. The noise is only apparent when the clutch is depressed and second has been selected down from third and the vehicles speed is appropriate for 3rd gear/the very top end of second. When the car has slowed down to a appropriate speed to either turn a corner or negotiate a round about and the clutch is released to engage 2nd gear the noise disappears. Also, if 2nd gear is selected, down from 3rd, and the above process is gone through at a much slower speed the noise doesn't eventuate at all.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There's nothing wrong with it.....it's just syncro noise from trying to change down gears when travelling too fast.8)

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Eddietrx, I know what you are saying but it's a whirring, like spinning a wheel on cheap toy, sound not a whining, like changing down gears, sound.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Put some fresh oil in it and drive it for a week and see if it makes a difference

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
Also remember that it's easier and cheaper to replace the brake pads than the clutch. So put the brakes on before changing down a gear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts