Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully there isnt a thread already about this...I did search but couldnt find one surprisingly.

Anyway...

So who has Ecutalk?

I bought mine but am a little confused with some things. No luck setting software up on laptop which is prob. more a laptop prob than software.

I understand the basics and have set the alarm on coolant and battery but am unsure what the other readings are.
Im guessing airflow voltage is the maf sensor?
Not sure if it measures boost...hoped it would but not sure?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
This is mine in my 2000DI for ease of viewing while I'm driving and gathering info for my projects.

P1090287.jpg

A bit clearer but from a much earlier time :).
5. ECUTalk in action.jpg

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Hopefully there isnt a thread already about this...I did search but couldnt find one surprisingly.

Anyway...

So who has Ecutalk?

I bought mine but am a little confused with some things. No luck setting software up on laptop which is prob. more a laptop prob than software.
Jump onto the ECU Talk web site and you can find out how to link to your laptop or if you need additional cables or software etc to do so. I have copied geeyoutoo and have it in the middle of the dash with velcro. I downloaded the initial software update when I first installed it in but have not ever bothered to try and set up with a laptop in the car for logging. I believe that you might need a different plug interface to actually read from or record to the laptop.
I just use the unit to read details when I need and to check fault codes.

I understand the basics and have set the alarm on coolant and battery but am unsure what the other readings are.

Im guessing airflow voltage is the maf sensor?
Yes AFM is the MAF voltage

Not sure if it measures boost...hoped it would but not sure?
Yes you can see boost in psi on the right of the second row of data in your photo.

·
Registered
nissan
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks guys!

My laptop wont play nice. Cant set up the files thats ok..if not needed won't stress.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Many thanks guys!

My laptop wont play nice. Cant set up the files thats ok..if not needed won't stress.
I put the ECUTalk user manual into the DI archives, it's in post #9, manuals and papers general. It gives you all the guts on it.

The good thing about the laptop connection is taking logs which you can use to compare stuff later, my old one just uses a printer style USB connection to the laptop whereas the later ones have a normal USB connection, since upgrading to the version that has Fuel temp I don't use the log much now.

Getting it to read the gauges on your laptop can be challenging, you need to find the right port (took me ages) and then you can turn gauges on and off as you wish, otherwise your screen will be filled with gauges that make no sense (some of them are not used), so you just set it up with the gauges you are interested in.

From memory it was around 2005 that boost started to show up on the ECUTalk, the early models didn't have that interface, well my 2000 doesn't anyway.

EDIT: info, T% is the amount of vacuum the ECU is sending to the Vac solenoid that controls the VNT, so if you have a Dawes and Needle it means nothing. ICV% is idle control valve and this gives us some feedback on the condition of our VP44. A lot of this info is in the archives if you care to have a look.

·
Registered
nissan
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks mate. Will do. Muchly appreciated. Will do that on my next day off. Cheers :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts