Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

Just been reading the latest issue of DirtSports (an American magazine about all aspects of dirtsports) and they crown a driver of the year every year - it would be tough because it is from every aspect of offroading/dirtsports that it comes from... Offroad Racing, RockCrawling, Ultra4 (KOH) and Stadium Racing. All of these are different and have different styles but in the end they crown one Driver of the Year...

I was just wondering who you would nominate... or who do you look to for inspiration in your offroad lifestyle, and why?

It could be everyone from Darren Green, for the multitude of offroad disciplines that he has participated in and has been very sucessful?
Or maybe Pete A from Tuff Truck, because of his domination in that short course style competition? His clean driving lines and awesome build skills?
Maybe someone like Brad Gallard (Trophy Truck driver) or David Fellows (complete domination of the AORC this year)

I know that it is many different sports and many different drivers... but let us know what you think as I think it is great media from Dirtsports to have a Driver of the Year! And would be cool to hear your stories why (insert person here) is your favorite Offroader!

No doubt a few people will laugh and think this is a bit of a joke... I'm cool with that... but hopefully some others will have a think about it and why.
As an industry I think Offroading has some really really talented people and drivers involved and it is a big past time in Australia! I don't think offroaders get the recognition they deserve as a group - often over shadowed by MotoX and Tarmac Racing... however if you look around the country there are crazy numbers of modified 4x4s in every town!
There's nothing better than heading offroad with your mates and to a 4x4 event and cheering for your favourites!

Let us know what you think...

I'll kick it off too.

To me one of the most inspirational guys around at the moment and my personal choice for Driver of the Year would have to be -

Ben Napier.

To build and race a competitive buggy on a truely GLOBAL scale such as he has done in the last KOH race is truely impressive. He seems very switched on with what he is doing and where he is heading - and he's definately not an also ran. He's also a pioneer in Australia with respect to this kind of Ultra 4 racing which is proving a huge hit in the USA.

He is my personal vote for Aussie Dirtsports Driver of the Year.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
considering 3% of people on here would know who your talking about, and less would have the same magazine, I hope you dont think it will go far...

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not asking you for an opinion on the magazine or the driver in USA that won the title truckster.
Just a simple question.
Surely more than 3% of people on patrol4x4.com have been to a 4x4 competition and saw someone do something worth noting? If not that is fine...

And I didn't mean that Ben Napster should be the Aussie pick either...
I was just saying that's who I'd vote for...
Surely Aussie Offroad has atleast some heros? If not then maybe that's a bad sign for our industry? MotoX has hero's for the young'ns, skating has guys that they look up to? Footy, AFL, Soccer... all these things have a person who is recognised as doing something great for their choosen sport...
Drift Racing, Freestyle MX, F1, Superbikes... do I need to go on... everyone has their heros.

I just wonder when 4x4 has one of the biggest market shares in Australia why does no one recognise any of these drivers?
Don't get me wrong, I know that many of us never aspire to go and race a 4B... but I never wanted to go and do a backflip on a motorcycle but I still know who Travis Pastrana, Robbie Marshall and Cam Sinclair is...

Don't get me wrong it's fine if this thread never goes anywhere.
But I was just interested who the every day offroader thought was a bit of a gun driver in Australia.

Also sorry boys but real names would be preferable over forum names.

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He He.
Maybe it's Roothy! But after his steer on the last DVD (equalling a light flop for milo) I don't think he should be classed as the Aussie Driver of the Year!
Maybe personality of the year.... but definately not driver!

He He - Sorry Roothy!

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL. Sorry I meant Offroad Driver of the year that the kids and adults alike go to events to watch drive - maybe it's Roothy from 4wd Action.... but as I said before... I doubt after his High Country effort, or SCAT effort at Tuff Truck - that Roothy could be classed as the driver of the year! He He

Yeah I checked out slowzuki's build awhile back... pretty darn impressive.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,675 Posts
Since I am a hero in my own lunchbox I nominate me for dirt driver of the year. I even took a 1 week old commodore through Lichfield Nat Park in the NT. :)

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I'll nominate my wife hehe. She's got the Patrol out of some sticky situations all by herself :cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Got to give Craig Lowdens credit for his effort in the Australian safari (I think) with the v8 Colorado.
Slowzuki is a legend. Love his rig, wish I had portals!

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Got to give Craig Lowdens credit for his effort in the Australian safari (I think) with the v8 Colorado.
Slowzuki is a legend. Love his rig, wish I had portals!
Lowndes rolled the Colorado in testing at Cruiser park.
"It's good to get a roll out of the way before the event," he said.
lol

·
Registered
640 Posts
OK i am biassed here :D but i reckon BB (David Burton-Bradley) is one of the best 'natural' drivers i know. He has an uncanny sense for the vehicle, and a great lot of mechanical sympathy! And he probably has the best record of any driver in aus. Approx ~54 events over 45 podiums - 36 first places. An amazing Tuff truck record for a vehicle which is sooooo out of its league, 6 TT's an average placing of 8th and has got points on EVERY stage without mechanical failure. He has won all terrain, rock crawling, and winch stages of so many comps its not funny and next project is a move in to the lower specc'ed high speed stuff and some more international racing. :cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep! I totally agree with David Burton-Bradley.

I remember the year he went to Tuff Truck (placed 5th I believe) on 35s in a Hilux he drove to the event towing his tires in a box trailer! Then went for a drive on the way home! Very Cool.

And I agree he has just a natural style that allows him to drive BIG obstacles, with a mildish rig (I know I know it's got LOTS of mods) without breaking too much! Simply amazing to watch.

And you are right Craig Lowndes deserves a mention too. He drove very well in some fierce competition. You can say that he had the best team blah blah blah - but you can't deny that it was his skills behind the wheel that put him in top spot!

Great to hear your opinions!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts