Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

New-ish to Patrol4x4, am enjoying my first experience of 4WD in my '08 GU ST. I'm already doing harder stuff than I thought I would, and am loving every minute of it.

Some footage from my first time offroad :D

http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/ricknjo/Glasshouse 27 6 10/?action=view&current=M2U00135.mp4

When I went shopping for a truck, I had to decide between a cheap-ish rig to replace my daily driver (VT Berlina that just takes me to work and back) or a more expensive rig to replace the Territory that my wife uses to ferry our three kids around, and which we take for day trips and holidays. Quickly narrowed the vehicle down to a Patrol of some sort, and went for the latter after I did some homework and realised what you get in a late Patrol - all the creature comforts plus hardcore offroad ability.

However, now that I've been out a few times and realised how hard these things work when you're having a go, I'm starting to think about something that can take it without me fretting about damaging it :rolleyes: I won't sell the GU, we're taking it around the top end and back through the centre in 18-24 months time, and for now I'll keep taking it out and getting amongst it, but I want something to replace it for the fun stuff in the bush and to keep when we sell the GU after the big trip.

I've taken a shine to the MQ/MKs, they look great and I like the idea of having something a bit older - but I've seem some GQs in action, and the decision is getting hard. Not much in it price-wise between a good MQ/MK and a reasonable GQ.

I need a LWB wagon - three kids and wife plus gear - and I like a bit of grunt, so a power-up with a different engine would possibly be on the cards. I can swap an engine myself no probs, and rebuild one if need be.

So, sell the MQ/MK to me :)

(giving you guys first shot before I go snooping around in the GQ forum)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have owned both, I had a MK lwb wagon with a SD33T. I hated it, the ride was terrible, the position of the pedals was bad due to the trans tunnel, the seats were not that comfortable and it was embarassing in where it would NOT go. I tried to make it better but I just couldn't. The best thing about it was the SD33T, it went well but was a pig to start (it was getting old) & gave pretty good fuel economy.

Bought a GQ & have never looked back, goes further in 2wd than the MK did in 4. Everything is just better. They are cheap, tough & wont let you down.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Oh, I will also clarify that my GQ is in better condition at 420,000 than my MK was at 300,000km ;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
97 Posts
If you have driven or owned a GQ it is VERY HARD to find something good to say about the MK/MQ except that if they weren't so bad, the GQ wouldn't have been redesigned to be SOOOOO much better.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
MQ/MKs can be had for near nothin,
Even real good ones dont command big $$$ in the big picture
Comparing them to Gqs is like apples to oranges

Can be very hard to find either with no rust,especially the MQ/MKs (well they are 25 years od old)
Really depends on how much you want to spend ???
There was a 308 powered MQ wagon near bribie a while ago and couldnt get $1600
Youll only pay a few K for a real good MQ/MK
So they are good cheap fun
Let us know which way you go,there is heaps of people on here to help you out , when looking

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
MQ/MK is an oldschool truck, GQ is like passenger car inside, so it's more comfortable, and suspension is better.
GQ axles are better, but MK gearbox/transfer box is stronger.
MK in good condition is a youngtimer now. If you want to modify your car cheap, buy GQ, lifting is easier and there is many aftermarket gear avalible for it.
MK with good original leafs is not that bad - it can be even comfortable.
If you want to buy MK patrol, make sure it has power steering, and body mounts are in good condition.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good info, thanks guys. It might have to be a GQ until I get my current interest in tough tracks out of my system.

I know where there is a LWB 'Safari' roof MK/MQ which seems in good shape and is not going anywhere by the looks of things. Might see if I can get it real cheap for a project sometime down the track.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
Oh, I will also clarify that my GQ is in better condition at 420,000 than my MK was at 300,000km ;)
MQ 81 modle truck has 240xxx on the clock original k's motor tho is from 85 MK totalyl stock standard never been rebuilt in its life and running 16 psi boost every day all day motor has nearly 500xxx on it now cops a hiding every time i take it 4wding never misses a beat and use's half the fuel to a GQ td42 and iv only got the 4 speed lol
you must have just had a bad run with yours mate they are definitly a great truck id buy another one if i had the chance tho i will upgrade to a GQ wagon some day just for more cumfort family truck

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
SWB MQ.MK is convertable....thats why it is best!

On any other level the GQ/Y60 beats it....but the convertable is hard to beat!

·
Registered
430 Posts
MQ 81 modle truck has 240xxx on the clock original k's motor tho is from 85 MK totalyl stock standard never been rebuilt in its life and running 16 psi boost every day all day motor has nearly 500xxx on it now cops a hiding every time i take it 4wding never misses a beat and use's half the fuel to a GQ td42 and iv only got the 4 speed lol
you must have just had a bad run with yours mate they are definitly a great truck id buy another one if i had the chance tho i will upgrade to a GQ wagon some day just for more cumfort family truck
Maybe, the windscreen leaked, the rear door seals leaked (actually were non existent), the spare wheel carrier ripped off through vibration, the drivers seat collapsed, the rear seat would not fold down (it was split for the 7 seats though), the gearbox was noisy & pi##ed oil everywhere, the turbo leaked & had a terrible whine, was hard to start cold (compression), would run hot all the time (even after cooling system work), wore the slip joint out on the tailshaft, crank pulley came loose causing damage to the nose of the crank. It was terrible in the bush & had to be in 4WD just to do minor work (even after I lifted it & replaced the terrible parabolic springs). Only has 320,000km on it when I sold it & it was serviced religiously.

A friend of the family had a couple of MQ/K (mechanic also) & he was amazed at how good his GQ was in the bush.

It did two things good, fuel consumprion (not half of the GQ but a couple of litres less per 100) & it hosed my brother in laws Hilux on hills (aparrently Hilixes are the best cars evar..........).

The GQ (bought it of my father & know the history): Other than tyres & brakes in 420,000km, an alternator, radiator, water pump & I have just replaced all the original bushes & the TJM shocks (50mm lift) & front tyres.

On the to do list now is a windscreen & some camping mods that I want to do to it. Apart form that everything is original, even the clutch & it has towed all its life.

Im not arguing here, I am agreeing as I had a bad run with mine thats for sure :) never again, I would have a 60 series Cruiser if I was going to go back to the 80's.......

Edit: I repaired the AC pressure hose on the MK, the AC was awseome until it split again due to the vibration. The GQ's AC isnt quite as good but has never been touched & is better than my Commodore.

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
GQ's are like arseholes, everyone has one :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
IMO, MQ have better style, they look better. the SWB have removable cover as mentioned. most swb afaik are 4 seater, some are 5, but you can easy squeeze 3 bums in the back of a 4 seater, how big are your kids. ive had 4 'teens' in the back in the past in my swb, so not too bad. lwb obviously has 3 seats in the back, so your sorted.

one of the best thing about an MQ is its age, they are pretty old and out-dated compared to modern standards. they have a feel about them though, you dont get that feel in a newish car. in fact, most cars of the early 80s and 70s etc, you just dont get the same experience in something newer. yer your also going to feel the bumps more than a coil sprung vehicle, but it lets you know your in the bush! and the new cars will probably have more power, more gears, power this and that, abs etc. still SH|T lol.

they also have quarter vent windows. these rust out and leak like mofos, but they are too cool lol.

i talked a mate into getting a MQ, it was 1200 bucks and had a 253 v8 in it, lwb too. had the best times in that car. it only ever got took in the sand dunes etc, but it put many other cars to shame. another mates td42 swb gq with 35s and twin lockers couldnt get up half the hills the MQ did. we watched heaps new hiluxes and rodeos get 2/3 the way up this big dune and get stuck, then the MQ done it in reverse! no better feeling than watching other people get humiliated lol.

shop around, as mentioned they are pretty cheap. i bet you can find one with lift and tyres and lockers and v8 and all the good stuff, still run under 5k lol.

other similar vehicles to consider include the 60 series and the range rover. its much like deciding what old school coupe to get, could get a kingswood or a falcon or a valiant, all damn sexy vehicles imo.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it's the retro appeal that gets me with the MQ/MK. I've had EH Holdens and an XR Falcon ute (302W) and my wife had an EH when I met her, still got the '69 Kombi that I bought when I was 18, 23 years ago...

That Mav looks good!

·
Registered
132 Posts
There's no bulldust about the older 4x4's that you find with the newer ones. I'm quite happy with my bumpy MQ that runs puurrrrfect. My other half can't stand it. Gotta change the seats.
I reckon GQ is probably the last 4x4 you could get before they get too expensive to risk scratching.
If you really want a 4x4 that can give as good as it gets when it comes to bashing down a bush track, the older rougher body with a great driveline is the way to go. I've been down some tracks and come home thanking my lucky stars I didn't own anything shiny and pretty.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
MQ / MK parts are WAY cheaper.

I picked my current donk up for $150 (l28)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The dearest bit on the MQ/MK range is the SD33t motor
Basically the rest of the parts are cheap
Even the hard to get parts arent worth alot,just hard to track down
If it was just for weekend bashing and your not real mechanically minded
Id be looking for a petrol(L28,2.8 litre)
They are the least demanded version and obviously the cheapest to get
Good ol basic engine stuff
Points ignition,carb,they do have electric fuel pump (absolutely great when u run outta fuel,none of this priming carb rubbish)
Hold ignition on for 5 secs and away she will go
(great for limited mechanically minded)
Id rather the best MQ/MK i could get ,than a ruff as guts GQ

Nb .
I sold my old MQ wagon for 3K (with RWC)
Absolutely near immaculate except clear paint lifting on bonnet
So they are not very dear to buy

·
Registered
nissan
74 Posts
Man, what an interesting debate. I reckon this thread may go for a while.

As for me, I would have to agree with neRok. The older MQ's are slower, noiser, and a rougher ride, but they are just oozeing out style that no newer patrol has been able to match.

I love my mq swb, even if I freeze my ass off every time I drive it.

Steery

·
Registered
nissan
74 Posts
The dearest bit on the MQ/MK range is the SD33t motor
Basically the rest of the parts are cheap
Even the hard to get parts arent worth alot,just hard to track down
If it was just for weekend bashing and your not real mechanically minded
Id be looking for a petrol(L28,2.8 litre)
They are the least demanded version and obviously the cheapest to get
Good ol basic engine stuff
Points ignition,carb,they do have electric fuel pump (absolutely great when u run outta fuel,none of this priming carb rubbish)
Hold ignition on for 5 secs and away she will go
(great for limited mechanically minded)
Id rather the best MQ/MK i could get ,than a ruff as guts GQ

Nb .
I sold my old MQ wagon for 3K (with RWC)
Absolutely near immaculate except clear paint lifting on bonnet
So they are not very dear to buy
I picked up my MQ SWB Diesel for $650. Shes a heavy smoker and full of rust, but man its fun in the bush. If you are patient, you will be able to pick something up without having to spend much.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts