Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic suggests.... Why chop them when it doesn't increase departure angle?
Not only that but now you've gone and butcherd your beloved Patrol??

Thoughts?

·
Registered
nissan
455 Posts
imo it looks better than a dented up panel, if its not there its has to help with clearance in the rear.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
It does help departure angle. just not straight out the back tho.
Also a rear bar can be made to sit where the old paneling used to be so there is no loss of clearance.
also, do it properly, dont go the rivets and silicone, like i have seen before.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I just couldn't bring myself to chop mine.
They don't last long if you go offroad, once they dinted you will gladly chop them off.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've owned a couple of shortys now and I've put them through hell. I'm still yet to punch in a rear quarter (touch wood)
Conquering tracks doesn't mean destroying your vehicle to do it.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
They have a habit of rusting under the mudflap. Going to do mine soon for that reason alone.

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Not only rusting, it's just a cheaper alternative to fix if it was damaged from 4wding. Looks different too on GQ Patrols, it gives that style of character to it.

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
Mine's a '91, been in NZ for at least 10 years, didn't even have mudflaps when i got it but no rust...

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
I've owned a couple of shortys now and I've put them through hell. I'm still yet to punch in a rear quarter (touch wood)
no orifice intended but you do not drive hard if your quarters are un-touched.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I always try to avoid panel damage but the lower quarters had multiple dints, this was the only section on my car that had dints, fixing them would have been a waste of time, so off they came.

A very old pic showing my lower 1/4 worst side.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I always try to avoid panel damage but the lower quarters had multiple dints, this was the only section on my car that had dints, fixing them would have been a waste of time, so off they came.

A very old pic showing my lower 1/4 worst side.
Yeah i'm all for chopping them if they're stuffed. I just don't like cutting perfectly good panels.
Nice shorty by the way

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no orifice intended but you do not drive hard if your quarters are un-touched.
Why should i have to stuff my quarters to drive fast? What about applying some ground appreciation? It doesn't mean you take more time to cover the same distance.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
I drive slower than a nun and my GQ's quarters copped a flogging.

Mind you I had no choice when driving an atmo TD42.

I would say your idea of where you drive it is a fair bit different to some other's. And most likely those of us here in QLD with our sharp jagged rock spam. lol

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rock spam hey? haha..

Mine spends all it's time in the mud and snow, Vic high country mostly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts