Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2.8td gu st
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
always reading about 4.2's over heating any break thru's??? or do they need radiation n chemotherapy???

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
We have been dragging a 3 ton caravan around australia for the past 5 years and my 2005 TD42Ti has never got hot

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,133 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones, I did have a problem but found it was not overheating just getting hot. (If you can understand that)
But do have a mate thats having a **** time with his.

cheers

·
Registered
nissan partol gu 2
56 Posts
Let's see how many flames I get for....

ZD30 mate, no issues here!

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2.8td gu st
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A mate of mine has gone thru every varible they could think of spending way over 1000 bucks with no diagnosis in the end was a simple tune that rectified problem consisting of timing and fuel adjustments...

I must admit all varibles he did purchase and go thru, all did help out a bit in the end it was like ABRAKADABRA timing and fuel FIX'D !!!

·
Registered
Nissan
341 Posts
They DON't all overheat. That's simply a vicious rumour started by 2.8 and 3.0 owners.:D:cool:

Mine has about 300.000k on it, been in the family most of its life and has never overheated once. Turbo runs at 11-12psi and have never seen EGT above 420.:cool:

·
Registered
387 Posts
always reading about 4.2's over heating any break thru's??? or do they need radiation n chemotherapy???
Trying to get Yom to start another sticky with a misleading title for the 4.2 haters are we? ;)

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
270000 kays on mine and it has never overheated??

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
I thought my TD4.2T was getting to hot it turned out to be the crappy/faulty factory Nissan gauge. It's probably the problem with most the 4.2'S that people think are getting to hot buy a aftermarket gauge and be done if your worried

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
If a 4.2td overheats you probably only have 30 seconds before meltdown.

They are well known to get "hot" if you heavilly turbo/boost them, thats why the whole lot get put in one basket as overheaters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
im running 19 psi max boost and got the fuel wound out in my 03 4.2tdi. my needle doesnt move over half and i even half a slow coolant leak from the overflow return line i broke the other week...

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Mine never overheats, even giving it to it all the way up a mountain pass with EGTs up around 450-500 degrees.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mine refuses to get hot under any conditions, i even had to increase the temperature of the thermostat to get it to run at 80deg C otherwise it wouldn't get over 70 barely pressurising the system.

i have no idea what those blokes who's TD42 overheat are doing wrong, LOL!

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
My TD42 (goddamn its till weird to say that) doesnt overheat

Yet :)

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i would like some measurements from you guys who dont have heating issues

the measurment i am after is from where the flange of the thermostat sits, down to the hole that the bypass valve of the thermostat would block when the thermostat opens

on mine it is 40mm and if i had a factory thermostat fitted then it would have to open up 9mm before blocking the bypass hole, if you guys that dont have heating issues have a measurement less than 40mm (say 34mm) that will explain why some run hotter than others

·
Registered
612 Posts
mine has never seen the temp guage over half way ,nether has my sons

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
my temp gauge doesn't go above half on any 4.2 iv ever owned. . . . iv owned them between 90,000km old and 480,000old between 1989 and currently 04mdl 05plate.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts