Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many posters here and elsewhere complain about unsolicited phone calls. It's a regular gripe that people have been moaning about for years.

When I was running a business in Brisbane the phone was ringing all the time, day and night, and was personally answered. It was a business after all and part of the service was dealing promptly with calls. I didn't want to miss any sales.
I even had an answerphone in my car just in case I missed a call while I was visiting a site.

When I sold the business I decided that I'd done my bit answering phones and installed an answerphone at home. I have never answered a call personally since.
As far as I am aware it's caused no problems (for me) and I'll never answer the phone again.

For those who do answer their phones...I'd love to know why you bother.

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
I'm with you mate , answering machine as the way :)

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
why do you have a phone if you dont answer it?
defeats the purpose
I only have home phone because I'm on an Internet/phone bundle , all my mates ring my mobile

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Because I believe in do unto others as you would wish done unto you.

I don't want to talk to an answering machine. I partly feel uncomfortable doing it, and I also feel dubious about the reliability of some people to reply back. And in return, if someone wants to talk me to me at that point in time, I consider it only polite to try to be available to answer.

Unsolicited calls cause me no bother, I always politely turn them away with minimal of fuss and fury.

I will admit, I intend to install an answering machine app on my phone so that I can utilise it when I'm in a social situation, but that's the only time I feel a bit guilty about answering the phone, and only a bit (Afterall, I didn't tell them to call me at that exact point in time :) )

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The caller gets answered by the machine which gives the following message:-
'Hello, no one is available to answer your call. Please leave a message after the tone.'

If they don't want to leave a message, they hang up. If they are too stupid to know how to leave a message then I don't want to talk to them. I do check for messages from time to time, but at my convenience, not theirs.

The main purpose of having a phone, in my case, is so I can use it for my own purposes. It is not installed for the convenience of telemarketers or other people.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
I only have home phone because I'm on an Internet/phone bundle , all my mates ring my mobile
you do know you can save money and just go naked?
and i thought we were talking about all phones (mobiles included)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
I'm with lordbug, except for when I hear, "good afternoon Mr ********, and how are you today" spoken with a thick indian accent.......... Click!

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
You musn't have any family or friends, if you insist that everyone has to leave a message. :confused:

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The answerphone also has the advantage of responding to all calls. What if you are out, or worse, on the loo? I can imagine the anxiety of someone in the latter situation when they can't rush to the phone and answer it. If there's no message they could worry all day.

Friends and family are used to my system and can cope...most do the same anyhow.

Try phoning your doctor after hours and see what you get. Good enough for him...good enough for me.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
not saying answering machine is a bad idea, but purposely not answering the phone for it to go to the machine seems pointless.
whats wrong with answering the phone while your takin a ****?

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
'whats wrong with answering the phone while your takin a ****?'

Says it all really!

PS. Congratulations on reaching 'Senior Member' status Curtis129.

·
Eric the Vigilante
nissan
392 Posts
If my missus or family have an emergency and need to contact me, I'd like them to think I'm easily reachable.

If you feel answering the phone is too hard, the rest of your life must be borderline impossible.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
The answerphone also has the advantage of responding to all calls. What if you are out, or worse, on the loo? I can imagine the anxiety of someone in the latter situation when they can't rush to the phone and answer it. If there's no message they could worry all day.

Friends and family are used to my system and can cope...most do the same anyhow.

Try phoning your doctor after hours and see what you get. Good enough for him...good enough for me.
If you can't answer the phone for legitimate reasons, or aren't at home, then leaving a message is quite reasonable, our family and friends do that regularly. But if you are pretty much sitting/standing next to the phone, why can't you pick it up and answer it? What if your family and friends started to do the same? No need for a phone then, as no one would ever answer them. :D

Too bad if your doctor is on holidays and you get sick. Could be terminal if you have to wait until he gets back.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doc's answerphone says: 'for emergencies call this number...' obviously he is having a beer in his workshop and can't be stuffed talking to anyone. I would feel the same after working in that job all day.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Imagine if everyone was the same, then all you would have is a verbal SMS system. What if it is an urgent call. Say someone you loved was in hospital. I'm deffinately not putting your personal system down but it wouldn't work for me.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
surely this is

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
I should add that I do shift work so i don't want to be annoyed when i'm sleeping if i'm on night shift but each to their own .
your right truckster there's afew hooked here

·
If you drive a box you get box
1,115 Posts
if you dont like unsolicited calls

get on the do not call register

or get a silent number

simple :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts