Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished a 4000km trip with about 800km unsealed/ 4WD.
Changed the air filter before I went but it must have not seated correctly, checked the filter after one rather dusty day and to my shock horror dust had made its way under the lower seal on the filter. Nothing I could do about it at the time aside from call the airbox/ filter a wheelbarrow of offensive words.

Got home today and preceded to rip all the intake piping and after-cooler off to see just how bad it was and the dust trail stopped at the turbo intake pipe just after the breather tube all the oil had grabbed a good % of the dust and stuck it to the pipe as post turbo and inside the cooler were oily but with bugger all sign of any dust ingress. So I'll keep my oily intake track :D

The filter has now been refitted with a nice lather of rubber grease around the top and bottom seal.

Question? Where does that compartment lead to in the bottom of the 4.2TD air box housing there is a hole in the centre bottom of the filter housing that goes to some little space that seems like a water trap but has no way to drain and the airbox has a water drain outside the filter circumference

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to check the filter is seared ok? It is something you will double check forever more.

As opposed to pulling the intake runner off to see if it needs cleaning.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan gu
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do, However hard to see how a filter sits when it's under a lid, lost count of the number of filters I've fitted in my life. it was a result of the cobra head lid mod that can cause the filter to not sit square if the lid is not placed down a specific way, I found this out when I was playing about trying to figure out how dust had got in and I put some oil on the sealing surfaces to look at the contact marks, 2/3 times it was ok.

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
How often are you planning to remove the intake runners to clean the oil and dust and check?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan gu
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't follow? I only did it this time as when I checked the filter I could see that dust had made it past as I could see the dust trail in the airbox, now using the rubber grease on the filter top and bottom seals and fitting the lid in a way that I now know won't off center the filter it's really a not a issue.

I am opting to not fit the catch can however as 1. The little bit of oil that goes into the system does no harm. 2 having it connected this time has saved my motor from eating allot more dust than it did.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,229 Posts
Do you have your EGR blocked?

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
1,087 Posts
Very interesting comments so far . I to have considered fitting a catch can and blocking the EGR in my 4.2tdi. I made some phone calls to two major shops in melbourne eastern suburbs (Not arb or anything like that ) and both said that the catch can was waste of time one said he has been in buisness working mainly on patrols 95% of the time and said he wouldnt do it and wont reconmend it either as for the egr same thing both said the 4.2 does a good job already and not to bother ???
He said throw a blanking plate in if you want but its hardly worth the effort .... . So stuff it Iam leaving mine alone ..

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
1,087 Posts
Very interesting comments so far . I to have considered fitting a catch can and blocking the EGR in my 4.2tdi. I made some phone calls to two major shops in melbourne eastern suburbs (Not arb or anything like that ) and both said that the catch can was waste of time one said he has been in buisness working mainly on patrols 95% of the time and said he wouldnt do it and wont reconmend it either as for the egr same thing both said the 4.2 does a good job already and not to bother ???
He said throw a blanking plate in if you want but its hardly worth the effort .... . So stuff it Iam leaving mine alone ..

I might add both times when I called they put me onto the mechanic working at the shops not some salesman . And like i said they are mainly workibg on patrols no much else so one would assume they know what there talking about

·
Registered
739 Posts
disagree here.

1. the soot from the egr collects in on the film of oil.... over time creating this:
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-55/dont-just-bolt-turbo-onto-td42ti-patrol-194233/

2. the gasses produced from the exhaust is in no way beneficial to the combustion from both a power or efficiency perspective.

so whats your intake look like post intercooler ?

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Yes why would you want exhaust soot recycling back through your engine ?

Why would you want old oil blow by going back through your engine ?

·
Registered
Nissan
90 Posts
The premise of the OP is an epic fail.

Here are 3 undeniable truths:

1. A leaky air filter/air box is a very bad thing.

2. An oily intake is a very bad thing.

3. Intentionally keeping an intake oily (bad thing #2) as a solution for bad thing #1 is an incredibly bad idea.

·
Registered
nissan gu
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes why would you want exhaust soot recycling back through your engine ?

Why would you want old oil blow by going back through your engine ?
We'll the oil blow by is bugger all and since you effectively feed a diesel oil anyway it's hardly a problem and in my case that oil blow by absorbed the dust and stuck it to the intake pipes stopping it going into the cylinders

·
Registered
nissan gu
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The premise of the OP is an epic fail.

Here are 3 undeniable truths:

1. A leaky air filter/air box is a very bad thing.

2. An oily intake is a very bad thing.

3. Intentionally keeping an intake oily (bad thing #2) as a solution for bad thing #1 is an incredibly bad idea.
Could you expand on how a small amount of oil in the intake from the crankcase breather system is a bad thing? Like it's been on most automotive engines since the 70s and has been run on on highway truck diesels for sometime now it is well documented that it has bill effect on reliability.

What happened to me was not ideal, however was a result of a modification to the air box lid that can cause it to happen when the lid and filter are not put back a specific way, my post was to so hay I f'ed up, but the oil film in the intake from the breather helped stop a worse situation.

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
1,087 Posts
Just a question ? How come there are plenty of 4.2 getting around with high klms and no problems and they are known for the reliability . And yet these mods have not been done to the motor ??

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I am opting to not fit the catch can however as 1. The little bit of oil that goes into the system does no harm. ...
correct assuming its only a little bit of oil. td42 are a lot better than the zd30 which is horrible for throwing oil out the breather.
but overfill the engine with oil and it will really throw it out and a catch can will be very welcome.
don't forget unless the catch can has got a good filter in it, a little bit of oil goes straight through the can anyway.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Just a question ? How come there are plenty of 4.2 getting around with high klms and no problems and they are known for the reliability . And yet these mods have not been done to the motor ??
Only factory intercooled 4.2 have EGR

1 - 20 of 42 Posts