Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i bet your sick of hearing these ones but ive searched and done nearly everything.

My car gets warm (between 1/2 and 3/4 on the gauge) when towing my 1.2t camper. Its ok towing my tinnie and ok not towing.

Ive raplaced the thermostat and viscous coupling, flushed the system and recently had the radiator rodded (was only 10-15% blocked).

It doesnt suffer coolant loss or appear to have water in the oil or bubbles in the radiator.

It still gets warm so what do i do from here?

Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But wy does it do it now and it didnt do it for the first two years i had the camper....surely an overheating car is normal..........

If i keep driving with out slowing down im sur eit would keep getting hotter.....i turn the heater on and it cools down.....

what the?

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
Now your giving more info not in the first post
Have you changed the front of the vehicle, that is put a new bar on it, put spot lights on it?
Have you put larger tyres on it?

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Any crap lodged in the air con condensor?

Do you have all the air dams, rubber seals between the radiator and bonnet support ect?

What temp thermostat did you use?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry i prob should have given more info.....i didnt know how much to write...im just so confused with it all......

Ive not changed the front end or added lights....i did put the new tyres on cooper 285/75/16 but it was doing it before i did that.

Air dams...still not sure what u mean...ive not taken anything out so i guess they still there.....and the thermostat was "replaced" by my mechanic when he did the viscous hub so assume he used the same as what was in it.

Thanks for your questions.....atleast writting here i get more questions and can give more answers that what my mechanic has come up with......

keep em coming

·
Registered
nissan
729 Posts
Could it be a tuning issue?
Timing, turbo boost egr stays open...?
Just throwing up ideas for someone who might know....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As above tuning
Or what have you changed
Dawes Valve
Intercooler fan (on top or bottom)

Yeah was wondering about both the dawes and fan, althogh i didnt really tow much before they went in so iim not sure....have turned off the fan and tried that but no.ya thnk it might be worth taking them out and going for a drive.....fan is on top too.

Was thinking maybe a new MAF....cleaned the old one, wasnt dirty but it still keeps doing it.

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
Could it just need hosing out to get rid of all the dust etc stuck in the veins ???

Mine started to run a little bit warm one day, so I undid the two bolts on the top to "Split the two radiators" then put the hose between the two and hosed them both out, heaps of crud came out and I havn't had any more heat problems since and the Aircon seems to work better :)

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
I might leave it to the 3.0l experts since i have a GQ 4.2 (now turboed & w2a intercooled)
But i do have a 1200kg camper and it does get a little hotter towing

·
Registered
nissan patrol
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your in pout anyway shorty....

I have cleaned out the both tha radiator and aircon condensor, was a few moths maybe even a bird or two etc between the two but they both are clear now and yep still does it......

My cars a freak! Stupid 3.0l shouldnt have been a tight ass and got the 4.2l ha ha

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
At lest it's still going not like some
Sounds like it's well set up
Diesel Gas is that resent more power more heat
Roof rack more drag
Outback Draws more weight
Long range tank more weight
I know we all have them
Ok i said i was finished

·
Registered
nissan patrol
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:confused:

thought about the Diesel Gas too, so turned it off (it turns itself on when it gets hot anyway) and guess what......

Draws and LR tank where all in it when i got it.....maybe thats why they sold it! ha ha

hmmmm roof rack......will pull that off and give it a go.......ill try anything!

and the temp sender might be a good idea too......where do i find it? and are they expensive?

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
What boost are you running?

Do you have a EGT gauge fitted to your dump pipe? if so what EGTs are you seeing?

Have you had the radiator rodded?

Auto or manual? If auto, do you drive in OD mode when towing which is a no no unless above 90-110kph as it generates heaps of heat in the transmission.

With mine, with all the crap and at 3.5T, my temp only get to 91-93degC from the ECUtalk gauge.

Buy one & see what the actual temps are.
http://www.ecutalk.com/
and the forum thread.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...-consult-software-now-supports-diesels-49013/

Best modification/accessory to my vehicle.

And as per Benno, find out what temp thermostat he put in.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I might leave it to the 3.0l experts since i have a GQ 4.2 (now turboed & w2a intercooled)
But i do have a 1200kg camper and it does get a little hotter towing
I tow a camper without the temp needle moving at all, something must be wrong.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Why is it still overheating.

Hi,

I know this may be stating the obvious, but have you checked the calibration of your temperature gauge? The temperature of these vehicles is around 95c normally.

I would imagine any large radiator place would have an instrument to check a temperature of the coolant. You just have to "aim" the instument at the themo housing to give an accurate read out.

Good Luck

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
It seems reading the countless threads on here regarding heating
Goin from 1/2 to 3/4 on the guage is two thirds of nothin

How can pulling a tinnie not effect it but a 1.2 tonne van does ???

Whats the wieght difference, what half a tonne or more ???

Pulling 1.2 tonne with a patrol with any engine should be a breeze

The majority of those with heating concerns go for the after market guages for a more accurate check

1 - 20 of 62 Posts