Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently the patrol has been slipping in 3rd and 4th gear at 2k revs, normally up a hill. Ive broken my foot so im not driving, n i trust that the woman has not been riding the clutch, so its looking like its f'd.....

So... new clutch it is, n i have read that everyone, bar one has replaced the DMF with either a new one or a solid.

My question is WHY??? i want to know if there is anyone out there that has replaced the clutch with a safari, or whatever, and not replaced the flywheel.. I dont feel like spending 2 g's on something that doesnt need doing.. like the ppeps have been saying, its built with a DMF, so why change to solid..

Sorry for long post, but strapped 4 cash, n stressed bout big bill for unneccisary works.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
6 Posts
Hey spacekadet not sure about brands but i recently replaced my clutch and flywheel. I had a dual mass flywheel but was told it cant be machined and therfore had to be replaced with a solid flywheel. The heavy flywheel made a significant difference especially when going up hills. Its nothing special due to my limited budget but i am glad i got it done and highly recommend doing it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Recently the patrol has been slipping in 3rd and 4th gear at 2k revs, normally up a hill. Ive broken my foot so im not driving, n i trust that the woman has not been riding the clutch, so its looking like its f'd.....

So... new clutch it is, n i have read that everyone, bar one has replaced the DMF with either a new one or a solid.

My question is WHY??? i want to know if there is anyone out there that has replaced the clutch with a safari, or whatever, and not replaced the flywheel.. I dont feel like spending 2 g's on something that doesnt need doing.. like the ppeps have been saying, its built with a DMF, so why change to solid..

Sorry for long post, but strapped 4 cash, n stressed bout big bill for unneccisary works.
If it has been slipping the flywheel probably has hot spots on it (unless you catch it very early) and the problem with dual mass flywheels is they can not be machined successfully. Therefore you either replace it or the new clutch will bugger up again due to the dodgy flywheel not being replaced AFAIK.

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Cost. Dual mass flywheels are hideously expensive, and because of their design there is more to go wrong with them then a solid flywheel.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,248 Posts
Get a new dual mass, I put a solid flywheel in with a Exedy Racing clutch in and it's hideous to drive, it would be even worse if it were a Safari Tuff clutch! It is so jerky when changing gears

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Pretty much what has been said... You can't machine the dual mass flywheels if they are damaged.

Sooo you have to replace them and they are damn expensive... most people put in the solids purely to save some dough.

If you go solid be prepared for engine vibrations as the dual mass is more efficient at damping which is why they are used in the first place. Many just cop it sweet with the "bad vibes".

·
Registered
nissan
2,481 Posts
if ya strapped for cash just do a clutch plate.. thats what i did.
need new flywheel if its noisy or the grease is pissing out of it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
55 Posts
I replaced the clutch in my truck with an Exceedy Super Heavy Duty with out doing anything to the original duelmass flywheel. We took the clutch off early, it still had about 20,000klms left in it and no signs of slipping, No hot spots anywhere so i felt i had no need. So far i have done some serious 4x4ing and not had any troubles. i have done about 25,000 on it now.

However im not saying that its a good idea, its one of those things that you can really only know when you get the clutch off and have a good look. In my case i think i was very very lucky.
My luck changed when the rear main started leaking about a month later and the spigot bearing started making noises. I now know i should have done these when everything was off.

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the response, at the mo im well short 4 cash, but the woman isnt => and my housemate is a mechanic, he rekons we can do it in the driveway, im tempted to leave the flywheel where it is n see how i go with a new clutch, but it has been slipping for a while, sounds atrocious, but the hse mate is from england n he says that over there they never machine flywheels or replace them, only if they r gone, im a bit suspect about that, not that many patrolls in england ?!?

If i do it myself, i can check the DMF for freeplay, but i dont know about hot spots, if it looks busted then we can order one in n do it while its still up, otherwise, i think i will just suck it n see.. might b easier taking it apart the second time *sigh*...... only question is, will it f the clutch if the DMF is damaged??

Nizzbitz: "If it has been slipping the flywheel probably has hot spots on it (unless you catch it very early) and the problem with dual mass flywheels is they can not be machined successfully. Therefore you either replace it or the new clutch will bugger up again due to the dodgy flywheel not being replaced AFAIK."

i think im just gonna take it apart n see how it looks, new safari tuff clutch i think is what ill put in, n then just see how the flywheel is....

unfortunately cant do it 4 a week or 2, foot still buggered, but ill let u know how it goes...

tim

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
4Terrain clutch and solid flywheel $2700 approx fitted at nissan, throw the DMF in the tip, you will never look back.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
101 Posts
2700 wtf

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,198 Posts
The clutch question comes up often, my experience with solid is not a happy one, I have a vibration when I feather the throttle to pull away at low revs, I could do it easily with the old DMF but not the solid, it's not the end of the world but bloody annoying especially now I have more grunt and should be able to do it easier. I wouldn't do it again. But it's up to you, I did it for cost reasons now I'm sorry.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had mine replaced recently, both my mechanic and the clutch shop recommended to swap it out before I even had a chance to suggest it. It is a bit rougher and took me a day or 2 to get used to it but I have no complaints.

My original still looked alright and had minimal play in it despite my clutch literally blowing up and me needing to be tilt trayed to the workshop. I did see one out of a navara though and it had over 90 degrees free play in it.

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
I have no vibration, and the clutch feels great, no shuddering as some have experienced, i wouldnt go the DMF replacement as i was quoted from nissan $4310 fitted, nearly fell over, and to top it off there is no guarrante it will last long, get a solid and live with it, piece of mind for me.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,198 Posts
To give an example of what I was refering to, there are two corners in quick succession close to my house, with the DMF I could approach these in 3rd at 1500 rpm, feather the throttle and get through both corners and accerate out of the last one (lazy I know but it did it easily). With the solid flywheel the damn thing vibrates, it's not a balance issue it is the fact the DMF is designed to take up and dampen these vibrations and also be a bit forgiving if you change a bit harshly.

Mine was changed at 150,000 had not had any issue with it at all, the engine was out due to grenade effect so decided to do it anyway, the original DMF probably would have gotten me through to over 200,000. I know the DMF is the most expensive but I definitely would not do it again, different vehicles may react differently, so its what your willing to pay for and put up with.:cool:

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
DMFs are gay as, filthy hideous things. The only reason Ive still have my few are to run engine up on a test bed. They will certainly never go back anywhere near a vehicle.

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
If you do the job yourself, you will soon see why everyone does everything possible while its out. The 2.8 box is the by far the most user friendly, and the bits are considerably cheaper. Pretty sure you can use an RB30 flywheel (check this) but if thats the case they can be had for peanuts from a wrecker, machine $50 its good as new.
I know you are strapped for cash but if your mate is a mechanic all your parts will be trade price which helps. Check your rear main seal and spigot bush in the end of the crank.
I used to cut corners when I was a poor 'P' plater but I have since learnt that its not worth the agro of saving a buck when its gonna bite you on the arse later, especially with fourbies coz we take them to some pretty remote places where roadside repairs or tow outs are kind of $$$$$$$$$$$ Hope your leg gets better.

BTW I knew my TB4.5 clutch was getting low and was all geared up to do the job myself over chrissy unfortunately I was overseas when the wife picked up a load of firewood in tandem trailer and smoked the clutch. What was going to cost me around $600 ended up costing us $1700 ouch!

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Im gettn an exedy heavy duty installed this week, ill let you know how i go.

Cost me $1200

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
I have done several "getrag" boxes (read commodore) wit dual mass flywheels, and if the customer cant afford a whole setup what ive done to save them cash is hit the flywheel hard with a orbital sander with 60 grit, just to clean off the glazing and make a rough finish, i know cars that have been like that for years with no issues

Its a cheap and nasty fix, but im sure it will do for now

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
To give an example of what I was refering to, there are two corners in quick succession close to my house, with the DMF I could approach these in 3rd at 1500 rpm, feather the throttle and get through both corners and accerate out of the last one (lazy I know but it did it easily)
Vehicles have different gear ratios for a reason...you are just prematurely wearing out your gearbox by loading it up in the wrong gear.

One thing to remember is clutch manufacturers won't warrant a clutch if the flywheel isn't machined or replaced.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts