Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
New to the forum but not new to patrols until now?????? I have a 1990 gq 3litre r30 on 7.5 lift absolutely love it but it’s getting tired:( paint is stuffed rust on top of window and sludgy oil in the radiator time to get rid of the old truck:( sad decision but have little time to fix the problems so got some cash coming:D and have started looking at newer trucks 99 to 2003
I’ve heard some scary stories about 3litre turbo diesels being called granades got told my safest bet was 4.2 turbo diesel saw a really nice engineered 4.2 diesel no turbo and was told it would suck fuel like a v8????? Got a 03 patrol 3 ltr td GU 111for 17000k coming up from Sydney to have a look at I know nothing about diesels what year were the lemons brought out
the local head man tells me he does heaps of heads in the 3 litre he carries them in stock
dont want to be another sucker im out of my comfort zone
Please help
thanx in advance puv

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
td42 can get 20litres to the 100kays on stock ratios on 37inch boggers if you are thrashing it offroad. . . . . its difficult to do, but possible.

i drive on stock ratios on 35's every day and do a lot of kays. . . 1,000-1,500 every week. . . i average 12litres per 100. on the freeway i get 10's sitting on 110kph. this is normal for a td42.

when i get my 4.6's in and my fuel tweaked, + snorkel i will get 9's.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
The 3.0s have been relatively harmless since 2005 or so. Anything prior to that is a risk. Having said that there are mods you can make to reduce the possibility of it going bang (mad not to do the mods, actually). Lots of info on here (welcome, by the way).

A 4.2 is bulletproof and if the dollars permit, an aftermarket turbo on a 4.2 will give you a truck you can enjoy for ten+ years with the usual maintenance required on diesels. Get used to doing oil and filters every 5000km and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
I agree with Jacket 1985, my 1991 GQ td42 doesn't miss a beat after 345000km & I'm getting roughly the same figures.:D:D:D

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
4.2 diesel non turbo sucking fuel like a V8 ???:shock:
If a V8 nissan patrol was getting 10-12L per 100Ks on just petrol id do a conversion in a heart beat
(GQ TB42s are around 20-25L per 100Ks)

I think youll find the ZD30 economy is worse than a TD42

The earlier ZD30 have the majority of problems,but saying that any engine thats 10 or so years old could have issues

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx for the advice fellas
off to see a 2.9 td 2001 any advice on what to look for
also back on the old gq when i flick lights on to high beams and spots all lights black out it takes a few flicks and were good again where should i start looking for a short ????
Cheers Puv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts