Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 1998 ST 2.8
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes i am blonde, yes i am dumb.

I have been checking over my new patrol and have found red "Air Bags" inside my rear suspension coils springs.....i cannot however find any method to adjust or fill with air...
My question is " Are these Air Bags or just some kind of damper?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
Yes mate they are Polyair airbags.

Polyair Springs air bag suspension lift kits

you will find the air valves (tyre valves) will likely be at the back of the car, mine were fitted to each side of the tow bar. get on your back mate and have a look straight up under your car at the back and they will be right there, likely in a spot where, once you know where they are you can reach while crouching only.

You should always run at least 5psi in them when not required and they can be inflated to a max pressure of 35psi. Mine were fitted to original Nissan Suspension springs.

I ran mine at about 18psi when towing my camper and could see the car raise more than an inch when inflating them under load, they made a massive difference to the handling. I have now put a lift in and retained my bags but found on the last trip i did not need them.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
x2 mudrunner, but yeh just jump under and just see where the air line is running to, the valves could be anywhere the installer wanted to put them, gewd luck bud

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your help......they are airbags ....traced the lines to schraeder valves in the wheel arches either side!!!!

I suppose the next question to ask is are they useful if you are not towing a caravan or trailer?

What sort of pressures should i have the set to for different types of road conditions?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yes they are useful if you are not towing, their purpose is to help support a load without going to heavier springs, they allow you to load up the vehicle for that yearly trip and then drop the pressures for the rest of the year. Reccommended is 5psi when empty or no load, and up to 30psi when loaded. You pump them up and then load the vehicle and then reduce pressure to desired level.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for that help Two Up.....We are going for a big camping trip when the children are off so it will be useful......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts