Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have seen on comp trucks, the winch setups to compress front / rear suspension to make more stable in certain conditions.

Off topic, I have a caravan where the roof aircon it 100mm to high when passing under my 2.5m garage door entry.

Was thinking about installing a comp type setup, using a boat handwinch to compress the suspension 100mm to go under, then release.

So on the comp trucks, is the winch cable in a steel tube from the winch to above the diffs ?

Does it split and go to both sides ? or the centre ( don’t think a caravan axle would be strong enough in the centre ?

Photo’s , details people ? please

Steve

·
nissan
6,273 Posts
Nah you just weld a tag straight into the middle of the diff housing. Some people have them big ground to use the hook, some just have a bolt / pin that goes through the rope eyelet.

Don't know I the exact set up of your caravan so can comment there.

How often do you take it in / out? Can't you just let the tyres down?

·
Registered
nissan
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly still playing with ideas, when i did my garage slab we dumped the excess concrete in the drive so its about 100mm higher then my slab. So if reversing the van in, I need to drop a good 150mm (only the air con on the rear section of roof) to get under.

I got it in this weekend, but raising the jockey wheel up HIGH, hence lowering the rear, and also lowering tyre pressure. I have some 2nd hand carastore wheels, but untill I redo the drive in 12-24 months as still doing owner build, driveway was last on my list.

other thought is a rear tow hitch and park van forwards, hence axle will drop of the driveway hump, before air con ( on rear of van) gets to garage wall, will lower tyre pressure this may work. Just need to build a rear bar with a haymen reese style hitch, then a adapter to a connect to the troll. This is a better option also as door is on the correct side of the garage to.

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
preference is to make it simple as possible. Changing to storage wheels is last resort
Changing to small wheels for storage would be the easiest and probably cheapest solution, plus you have the added advantage of not leaving your decent tyres resting in the same spot all the time. Agreed it can be a pain to change tyres all the time but how often do you use the van?

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
Just buy the cheapest possible ebay-special steel wheels (free?) and wrap some irrigation pipe around the edge, cable tie it on and you're done.

·
Registered
nissan
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already have storage wheels, we use the van every 3-4 weeks, last think I feel like when putting / out of the garage is changing the wheels, even more so if raining.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts