Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Has anyone put a winch in a factory nissan winch bar? I am looking at doing it over the weekend and primarily would like to know if I need to remove the bar or is there enough room if I remove the covering underneath the bar?

My apologies if this has been answered before - however generating a search gave a web page error that I am sure is being looked at.

Thanks guy
Craig

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
What winch are you fitting?

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
I just recently fitted a tigerz11 1200lb and had to take the bar off completely, not a huge job but you will need someone to give you a hand getting it back on with the winch bolted up. You will most likely need longer bolts.

You may also need to rotate the gearbox to allow the lever to be accessible. Dont to what I did and mount the winch upside down, I realised when mounting the fairlead so had to take it off and rotate the gearbox to suit :(

·
Registered
nissan
400 Posts
I fitted a winch to mine with the bar in place. Access by removing the splash plate under and behind the bullbar. You MAY have to put the winch in upside down, to get the cable to exit straight through the fairlead. Thats not a problem, its been done heaps of times, but remember to silicone any drain holes, as they will be facing upwards if the winch is installed upside down.

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
Good tip bundy, will have to check mine.

Theres no way mine fit even with the splash shield removed, no space between the bar and lower radiator (or whatever it is) guard

·
Registered
nissan patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply guys. Guess I will try by first removing the guards and if it doesn't fit remove the bar. Good tips on the rotating for the gearbox lever also.

Cheers
Craig

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
I have fitted a Warn 9,000lb and a Tigerz11 12,000lb without the bull bar. I did have to mount the warn upside down and rotate the gearbox on both.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
It should be an easy fit. Just drop the splash guard and you'll be able to lift and fit the winch without much drama. I easily fitted and Aldi 9500lb winch just by dropping the plate. One thing that you will possibly have to do is place the winch so that the motor is on the passenger side of the Patrol and you may need slightly longer bolts (about 10mm), so that you can fit the fairlead.

Before you do anything, check how the cable comes out of the winch, as this is important for deciding which way the winch is positioned. The cable needs to be able to move in and out so that it's a straight line out of the fairlead rollers. That's why the Aldi winch was located with the motor placed on the left side.

The winch itself fits sideways onto the bar, that is, the bolt holes for the winch face you directly behind the number plate. That means the winch release handle faces the radiator. You may, or may not be able to rotate the gearbox so that the handle faces upwards. I also relocated the control box connector plug into the engine bay, by getting some 15A fire core trailer wire, so that the control box remains attached to the winch, facing the radiator. Now the control box can't be played around with, as it's completely hidden and no one can access the plug unless they can open the bonnet.

Cheers

Ray

Reactions: 75judgey

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
Don't worry about which way the cable comes out as the polarity of the motor can be easily swapped. From memory, if when pressing the 'in' switch the cable comes out swap the black and yellow cables from the control box over on the motor and you'll be in business

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don't worry about which way the cable comes out as the polarity of the motor can be easily swapped. From memory, if when pressing the 'in' switch the cable comes out swap the black and yellow cables from the control box over on the motor and you'll be in business

If I am not wrong, some winch when letting cable out, it works against the brake so it cannot be used to lower your truck for too long as it generate too much heat. Better follow the OEM direction of winding in the cable.

BTW, I had my tigerz11 12000ib fitted without removing the bar, but i did removed the grill so I can use strap to lift the winch and rest it on the bar before I bolt up. Its pretty easy. I rotate the gear box (at driver side) so the handle is on top.

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
My controls work as they should having the winch mounted upside down

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
I just cut the bottom flat plate and winch goes in the right way up. Did not have to remove the bar and everthing bolted up nice with fairlead.
recomend longer bolts too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts