Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I need some help with an m12000 warn that for some reason is (electrically) loading right up under low load to the point it wants to get hot just from running in the loose cable. It is only 18months old and done bugger all work, had the motor apart and everything looks mint, had contractor apart and it's like new. Volts drop down to 11 under no load from around 14 with the engine running! Starting to think it's an armature problem but can't find any solid ways of testing on the net, is it normal to have power at A, F1 & F2 all at once in both directions? Wishing I still had the PTO winch on my old GQ:roll:

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Will it free-spool to pull the cable out? If it will not then there is a problem with the brake in the drum dragging. But if you can free-spool out easy but it loads up on wind in, there is something else going on.

Sounds like there is a solenoid problem. Can you swap to another solenoid or borrow one to test.

You might also be able to remove the cable to one of the field coils or use a jumper cable to test just one at a time.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything seams fine mechanically, but will need to do some further investigation to be 100% sure. I'm going to try the bridging A ~ F1 then powering up F2 for one way then A ~ F2 and power up F1 for the other this should eliminate the contactor if the results are the same, then I'll check the g/box/brake area I guess for excessive drag. I'll post results later

·
Registered
Nissan
53 Posts
I run a chinese (Ningbo factory) 12000 lbs winch but I swapped out the 2 B&S cabling for 0 B&S.
Every time I wind my rope back in under tension my voltmeter shows 11.5v even at 2000 rpm high idle.
Battery is a new Century.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok played around with it again tonight some more and noticed how much faster it sounds in reverse Vs forwards also voltage drop is around 1.5 volts less in rev Vs fwd, free spooled all the rope off and the drum was quite warm so I'm thinking now the brake is dragging in forwards rotation for some reason, so that's where I'm heading next

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Are you sure it's fitted the correct way around? The brake will generally drag slightly winching out, not in, that's why its not good to winch out under load with synthetic rope on winches with internal brakes.

Or it could be as simple as feeding the cable all the way out, hold button in same direction and feed cable other way on drum, if that doesn't have it feeding at too much of an angle from roller or hawse. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened without owner noticing if that has happened and it's now spooled the wrong way.

Would be great if it's that simple :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts