Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently heard rumours of people with winches being the targets of vandals.

Apparently lots of people do not isolate their winches (myself being guilty of this) when not in use by disconnecting the power lead in some way, shape or form.

Now apparently some idiots with too much time on their hands have worked out that if they find a 4x4 with a winch they can release the clutch, spool the cable out and over the roof then hook it to the tow bar or rear bumper / chassis, then if they get a piece of alfoil, a paper clip or even the foil paper from a cigarette pack and stuff it in the remote socket for the winch control they can get it running, some fiddling will get it running the right way e.g. pulling then they just walk away.

The result is that the winch just runs till it can pull no more and depending on how strong a winch you have it can dam near cut your car in half.

I don’t know how true this is but it is defiantly possible and I can picture my 12000lb doing some severe damage.

I disconnected my power now when not in use, you never know.

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
This has been going on for years, i recall this type of deal started about 10 years ago in Melbourne if i remember correctly

Sorry but old news!

·
Registered
230 Posts
anyone got pics of the result of this happening?

be interesting to see the damage it causes

·
Registered
338 Posts
Greetings,
thanks for that 270win, my winch is isolated but I am sure there will be others who will find this post usefull.
truck

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,226 Posts
Im safe, control box is under the bonnet.

Another I have heard is remote control boxes can have the same radio frequency so people could use remotes to control other peoples winches. hehe :D

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
I have a battery isolator switch mounted under the bonnet to protect the winch circuit. I just turn in on when I think it may be required as I have heard the same urban legends.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
My Tigerz II came with a screw type in line isolator just before the positive terminal on the battery. I feel much better with it isolated. Even for the fact that something could go wrong in the control box and fire it up when you REALLY don't want it on. Stranger things have happened. :p

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
yeh there was a thread on here about a month ago where someone did a river crossing and it set the winch going and it tore their bar off

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
At Fraser a couple of years ago, a mate had his remote in his tool bag. (DOPE!!) Something landed on it and turned it on and it pulled hard enough to pull the cable though the cable crimp. I duno how he got the cable out of the spool??? It was tight, TIGHT!!

Isolators are good insurance for all situations.

·
your mother, she's a top bloke!!!!
nissan patrol
480 Posts
i saw a guy out 4wdin young fella, just bought a winch stoked with how good it was. him and his mates winched it up a tree, winched the front up till it was nearly vercical. the branch snapped the car some how ended on its side with the branch smashed on top of it. funnyest thing i had see in ages, the kid was holding his tears in.

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
Everyone should have a winch power isolator anyway, having permanent power through a un-fused cable, and right at the front of the car, could be a dangerous fire hazzard in the event of a front end collision.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I recently heard rumours of people with winches being the targets of vandals.

Apparently lots of people do not isolate their winches (myself being guilty of this) when not in use by disconnecting the power lead in some way, shape or form.

Now apparently some idiots with too much time on their hands have worked out that if they find a 4x4 with a winch they can release the clutch, spool the cable out and over the roof then hook it to the tow bar or rear bumper / chassis, then if they get a piece of alfoil, a paper clip or even the foil paper from a cigarette pack and stuff it in the remote socket for the winch control they can get it running, some fiddling will get it running the right way e.g. pulling then they just walk away.

The result is that the winch just runs till it can pull no more and depending on how strong a winch you have it can dam near cut your car in half.

I don’t know how true this is but it is defiantly possible and I can picture my 12000lb doing some severe damage.

I disconnected my power now when not in use, you never know.
OMG, Paranoia sets in!!!!
You arent related to truckster are you?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
It would be worse, what if they ran the winch cable over the roof of your house...

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
If i was to do such a thing I wouldn't go over the roof to the rear of the car... I'd run the wire around the world to the rear of the car - that way it would cause real carnage...

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I wanna see someone winch a car up a tree like they did in that movie " The God's must be crazy".
There was a nice young bloke in NSW Nissan club years ago when I was in the club, he had G60 that I wouldnt consider in tip top shape...

They did Cape trip, on that trip his car **** itself several times (very nice bloke, spoke a bit slow, not sure why, but he had bush mechanics in him big time!).. Anyway one of the phtos in the magazine from that trip was the G60 in the air.

They winched the front end off the ground over a massive branch they were standing under the car working under the front end. Cant remember the issue with the truck, but it had plenty on the trip, but its been done.

his bush mechanics, he snapped the U bolt I think it was, anyway his rear diff came lose, tail shaft dropped out. he ended up using his winch and cable to pull the diff forward to allow them to reseat the shaft and get to the next main town for repairs... nice bit of thinking.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts