Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a mate has a tjm winch and he said theat then he pulls the rope out and puts it on lock he can still pull it out..i have never owned or used a winch(cause i drive a nissan) so am no help to him.. can some one please giive any info.. a guide to how to use a winch would b great thanks

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
2,633 Posts
You've posted this under the electrical section, but I doubt it is an electrical issue with his winch.

The lever he is referring to is designed to lock the winch drum onto the motor; it is effectively a "clutch" mechanism. If it is not locking-up when he turns the lever to "lock" position, it would tend to indicate that it is sticking in the "free" position.

What he could try to do initially, is to plug the hand controller in and apply power to the winch. The motor will free-wheel initially (as the clutch that locks it to the drum is apparently not engaged), but there is a slim possibility that by operating the motor he may just be lucky enough to free-up something so that the winch engages.

The principles of a winch are pretty basic.... a motor turns the drum, which has the cable wound onto it.

In practice, they can be finicky damn things that work better if they are used often.

Your mate should get it working (if my above idea doesn't work he should get it seen to professionally) and once he has it working, he should use it around once a month. All he has to do is find a deserted spot on a slight slope, where he can spool it out (free spool), attach to a tree/post (using a tree trunk protector if it's a tree) and then winch the vehicle up the slope with the winch. He MUST wind the cable in under load, otherwise the cable will "bird-nest" (ie: get all tangled).

Finally, it sounds like neither you or your mate has much knowledge about winches in general. Please be very careful....these are not toys and have the ability to do serious damage to people and property if not operated correctly and with the right safety measures in place.

Joining a club is a good idea....or otherwise just try to hook-up with some of the blokes on this forum when they go for one of their regular meet-ups. There is never any shortage of blokes willing to show you the ropes. The main rule is to engage your brain BEFORE you do anything. :rolleyes:

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,552 Posts
Sounds like the cam part inside is broken, or he's not engaging it properly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
pull it apart, clean it up, check for dammaged parts, replace if needed, re-grease. give that a go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts