Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using my Contour Roam externally more and more and as you would guess wind noise is a major problem, I have a few ideas about how to reduce or maybe eliminate it and still hear engine, etc, etc, ie, a breathing band aid over a small sponge dot.

Seeing as we have some very smart operators here I'm wondering how you other guy's that attach cameras to their cars have overcome the problem and still have sound, I've seen the Dead Cat Spots but surely there is another home remedy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
I can make suggestions on how we use to manage the acoustics on wind turbine masts and submarine periscopes (aerodynamics and fluid mechanics are kissing cousins)

we use to add small feathered vanes to the centreline and deflect the vanes to the outside

in some instances we cut down noise by 10-15db. not necessarily an attractive solution, but it works

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
There isnt really much you can do to the internal mic on the camera. If it has options for an external mic then you would be best using one on a shock proof mount mounted inside the cabin or if you want heaps of engine noise somewhere in the engine bay away from the rad fan.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Just idea that came into my head. Clear Perspex box with a few hole's drilled in the back. Use a sponge over the holes inside to filter the wind noise?

Use 3m Velcro to hold camera to the base of box or make cut out section for clamp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts