Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
What is the safe level of boost for a 2.8td. I was at the taipan factory to do a foxtell box relocate and he told me that it was only around 10 psi. I hear around the forums that people run over 15 psi of boost. Also with the 2.8td it was suggested to run a 3" exhaust straight through without muffler. He told me that you need a little back pressure so it is better to have muffler. Also have been looking for some how to tune the 2.8td tutorials around this forum but have not been able to find any. Can anyone provide a links to these. Please if you can include increasing fuel levels and increasing boost and airflow. MickyMcd gave me some awesome info but I am pretty dumb and need some pictures.
thanks in advance
:doh:

·
Registered
nissan
486 Posts
Someone feel free to correct me but there many of 2.8 td that have 3 inch systems, no mufflers and have no issues. I have put 2x 3 inch systems on my vehicles one on a 3.0td and 1 on my 2.8 and have had no back pressure issues. I didn't think back pressure was an issue on a turbo diesels. Only for n/a vehicles. Also both exhausts did not have any mufflers and only one had a hotdog, which is not on my current jigga. I run 13 psi but have an intercooler and big exhaust also my fuel has been wound up a touch. Sorry can't help at the moment with pics.

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
Safe level of boost - no idea sorry. I'm running about 17psi on my GU 2.8, For how long? I'll let you know :)

3" exhaust here as well, 1 muffler.
To my understanding also, exhaust back pressure is not a requirement for turbo diesels.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Have a quick read and make your own informed decision.

Exhaust: The straight scoop on backpressure | DSMtuners

The most important part to all of this is the last comment in that article.

The one exception to sizing an exhaust is for turbo cars. Since the turbo is in the exhaust stream, the gas flow spinning the impeller tends to come out of the turbo with the pulses greatly diminished. In this case, you can get away with running a larger pipe than on an equivalent HP N/A engine because you can't take as much advantage of the scavenging effect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts