Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All.
I have a 2002 GU TD42T Ute with Exhaust/Dump Pipe, Boost & EGT Gauges, Boost controller, Cross Country Intercooler, billet airbox lid.

Upped the boost to 13PSI and adjusted the boost compensator diaphragm to max position.

EGT's still seem to be relatively low, so looking to wind up max fuel screw.

I undid the 13mm locknut on back of injector pump and rotated the screw clockwise 1/2 a revolution.

I noticed no difference in power or EGT's, only now my idle has increased from 700 RPM to 1100RPM.

Just wanting to make sure I have adjusted the correct screw.

There is no protective cover or tamper proof cover on it, as I think it has been adjusted in the past.

I tried to adjust the idle down at the cable, but it is completely backed off.

Does this mean my pump is maxed out?

Thanks
Tim

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,614 Posts
I undid the 13mm locknut on back of injector pump and rotated the screw clockwise 1/2 a revolution.

I noticed no difference in power or EGT's, only now my idle has increased from 700 RPM to 1100RPM.

You've probably fiddled with the idle stop screw. Full load/max fuel screws are always secured/capped. Cheers.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
The pressure screw is at the back of the pump and has a cover over it. Do not turn it 1/2 a turn straight up or you could blow something, likely an injector. Turn a max of 1/8th, but 1/16th is better to start with. Turn screw 1/16th and lock down, get out on road and from a standing start put your foot flat to the boards and see how much of a smoke screan you put out, if none then repete process at 1/16th turns till you leave a black cloud behind you. When you do, back of the screw 1/16th and lock down and that is what you run with. I did a 4.2 tojo and 3/16th was all it took.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The pressure screw is at the back of the pump and has a cover over it. Do not turn it 1/2 a turn straight up or you could blow something, likely an injector. Turn a max of 1/8th, but 1/16th is better to start with. Turn screw 1/16th and lock down, get out on road and from a standing start put your foot flat to the boards and see how much of a smoke screan you put out, if none then repete process at 1/16th turns till you leave a black cloud behind you. When you do, back of the screw 1/16th and lock down and that is what you run with. I did a 4.2 tojo and 3/16th was all it took.
would you happen to have a picture of where this screw is? my gauges are arriving soon and im going to up the boost and fuel a bit. :D

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
you will probly find that you need to adjust your fuel aneroid/ boost compensater aswell
Not aswell but instead of, then re adjust the no boost adjustment to make a real nice job off it instead of just cooning the fuel screw in!

·
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
So, depends if you want to put into a diesel shop, previous two post are not done easy at home, you will need a shop to get it right. Screwing up the injector pressure can be done at home, but has it's draw backs....

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
Which screw have you adjusted? Does this diagram help?

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I have already adjusted the boost compensator diaphragm.
It is a bit hard to tell in the pic, but I'm pretty sure it's the max fuel screw I've adjusted.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
2,925 Posts
I'm not to sure why you think you have to take it to a diesel shop to adjust the aneroid.
You can play with the seat pressure of the diaphram,modify the pin profile, adjust where its travel starts from, increase its travel by taking the spacers out. plenty of things to play with.

Marty

·
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
I'm not to sure why you think you have to take it to a diesel shop to adjust the aneroid.
You can play with the seat pressure of the diaphram,modify the pin profile, adjust where its travel starts from, increase its travel by taking the spacers out. plenty of things to play with.

Marty
You’re assuming that everyone knows all about that sort of stuff, some just have the basics in mech ability, like me. I know enough to just do some dickering, not play with other gear. Heard of the saying that assume makes an ass out of you and me??? I can hear what your thinking, then dont touch anything. I have put clutches in trucks and tractors at the side of the road and in paddocks with minimum tools. Pulled engines out and put them back in with mates etc and rebuilt classics, I know enough, but I also know when get real advice.

·
Registered
nissan
278 Posts
hey guys,
can anyone post couple of photos or description on how to get to the screw on the TD42 injection pump. there is nothing in the manual or the repair manual.
please help

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
lol its like the blind leading the blind.

Timbo - What is the EGT difference between cylinders 1 and 3? then 6 & 4?

Just so you know. You have adjusted the compensator wrong if you cant get enough fuel out of it.
It will bellow black smoke and pump out 700deg+ post turbo EGT's with max compensator settings.
Add to that HALF a turn on the main screw! You wont be able to see your whole suburb for the smoke.

You have either a blocked main filter or gauze inlet filter. OR your pump is shagged, if you cant get any more fuel into it.

Thought about having it run on the dyno?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Totally agree with DieselTuner regarding temps with the adjustments described. Look at the offset pin on the base of the compensator diaghram. Use a dial gauge if neccessary to find the deepest part of the offset concentric and point this towards the front of the engine for full rich under boost. Easy to mark the diaphram with something like a white paint pen or similar for future ref. If it's pointing forward , full rich on boost. If it's pointing towads the rear of the engine, full lean on boost. Need to find a happy middle range to suit. My 04 cab chassis 4.2TDi seems to like no max fuel screw adjustment(std), one turn down on the spring pressure below diaphram (earlier enrichment) and full rich compensator adjustment. Only just touches on 550c on extremely steep long hills with no or very little smoke and 13psi boost. Big improvement over std.

·
Registered
nissan
99 Posts
Hey All.
I have a 2002 GU TD42T Ute with Exhaust/Dump Pipe, Boost & EGT Gauges, Boost controller, Cross Country Intercooler, billet airbox lid.

Upped the boost to 13PSI and adjusted the boost compensator diaphragm to max position.

EGT's still seem to be relatively low, so looking to wind up max fuel screw.

There is no protective cover or tamper proof cover on it, as I think it has been adjusted in the past.

I tried to adjust the idle down at the cable, but it is completely backed off.

Does this mean my pump is maxed out?

Thanks
Tim
My pump is doing the same thing (11mm turbo pump), even at 1.5 turns in , makes no difference to smoke or power , just the idle increases , yes my compensator as been tuned (pin rotated etc) and my gauze filter is clean , Ive tuned a couple mates 4.2T pumps and just 1/4 of a turn on the screw is more then enough along with compensator adjustments.
is my pump shagged ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
My pump is doing the same thing (11mm turbo pump), even at 1.5 turns in , makes no difference to smoke or power , just the idle increases , yes my compensator as been tuned (pin rotated etc) and my gauze filter is clean , Ive tuned a couple mates 4.2T pumps and just 1/4 of a turn on the screw is more then enough along with compensator adjustments.
is my pump shagged ?

Have you only rotated the pin? Theres more to it then that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts