Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone used any good window suction mounts for video cameras that stand upto 4wd action and do not shake too much ect. looked at a few on ebay but they tend to look like plastic that would shake around a bit.

·
Registered
nissan
73 Posts
Hi Stackner,
What we did was we used Velcro with double sided tape on the DVD bottom and the same on the dash.
Choose the best spot that suits and easy as

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
I got the best solution.

here wife hold this bloody camera!

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
RAM mounts are pretty good and you can get just about any conceivable adapter for them. They're not the cheapest, but work well.

Cheers

Ray

·
Ring In..... for now
nissan
282 Posts
To be honest I've been extremely dissaponted with the quality of the go pro cameras.
Not saying don't get one, but don't expect flawless HD video quality.

For the size & $$'s they could be exactly what you're after, but I won't buy one having seen what others have put up from theirs.

As for mounts, I'm pretty sure Ram Mount have some that are "multi suction cup" & all the adaptors you could ever dream of!

Good luck

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,606 Posts
go pro camera mount is good, if you find a mount that is similar and suits the camera it should be alright

they are not hard to modify to suit different cameras either.

we've stuck them on the outside of planes to get shots of exits when we skydive....

so yeah... they hold on REAL good...

just make sure you have a decent surface to atach to.

and if your going to run an outside camera, just go the go-pro. everyone uses them not and quiality is awesome.

and if it does come off your not going to do SFA damamge:punkrock:

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the replys guys. looking into all of them.

nissan kid - some footage uploaded to view the quality would be great mate.

sacco - tried that with a mate. was ok fottage but not the best lol.

·
Registered
nissan
176 Posts
we have used a bike handlebar mount got it off ebay for 5 bucks, and mounted it to the passenger hand rail, worked pretty good for a cheap mount

·
Registered
nissan
1,482 Posts
If you have a camera already that you want to mount then go Ram mounts. I'm going shopping for some this weekend.

If you want to buy something specific for travelling, I'd go a GoPro HD. Great quality and indestructable almost. I recently saw the 2010 Cliffhanger DVD's and you can see how good the are on that. Here's the preview I found YouTube - Cliffhanger 2010 Preview

And the DVD's only show the good stuff and then some. The stuff where they coped it hard obviously isn't shown. One came off a car caked with dirt as it was directly behind the rear wheel on a high speed stage. Quick scrub and back on the next car.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
RAM mounts are pretty good and you can get just about any conceivable adapter for them. They're not the cheapest, but work well.
If you have a camera already that you want to mount then go Ram mounts. I'm going shopping for some this weekend.

If you want to buy something specific for travelling, I'd go a GoPro HD. Great quality and indestructable almost. I recently saw the 2010 Cliffhanger DVD's and you can see how good the are on that. Here's the preview I found YouTube - Cliffhanger 2010 Preview

And the DVD's only show the good stuff and then some. The stuff where they coped it hard obviously isn't shown. One came off a car caked with dirt as it was directly behind the rear wheel on a high speed stage. Quick scrub and back on the next car.
Have a look around this site mate

Camera Mounts

Just chatting to a mate from 4WD TV and they use these for all their filming. Good enough for me
That link above is for RAM mounts, you will note that you can buy each section of teh mount to allow you to bulid a rig exactly how you want to mount it and where, It also allows you to have an adaptor for your still and your video and use both cameras on your mount.

I know the guys at 4wd TV pretty well and they swear by this stuff, given the quality of footage they need to produce to broadcast that is a good enough reference for me.

Cheers .

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I wouldn't trust any window suction mount, they fall off eventually. I have a good GPS one and it does come unstuck occasionally but I've cable tied the stem through the roof console for insurance so it doesn't fall down when it comes unstuck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts