Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/gu
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

I hit a bird the other week and smashed my windscreen, anyhow i finally got it replaced yesterday, and ironically it's pouring today, bit strange as i live in the desert (roxby downs)

just wondering is there anything i should be checking before taking it back to the crash repairer who did the job, i guess it is possible that it is somthing else although unlikley as it has never leaked before, its coming out on the passenger side under the glove box, dripping at the a/c heater plastic part.

the windscreen rubber seems to be seated properly so i dont understand why it's leaking but it's the only logical explanation at this stage?

any help would be great

its a gu wagon by the way

thanks

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Windscreens are sikaflexed in place these days and also sealed off by the sikaflex. Does not sound like a good job on the screen.

·
Registered
165 Posts
G"day ash1988
I've just gone thru this whole saga with my spray painter after a respray.
Check out this link

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/blocked-drain-25853/

especially from post #19 onwards as this proved to be my problem. They dont seem like much but they seem to hold the water at bay. CAREFUL THEY ARE EXPENSIVE LITTLE BUGGERS the local Nissan dealer stung me $15 each and you need 4(2 outer most holes on each side). Should you need them I suggest trying to source them thru Nizzbits.......unlike Nissan dealers he's very reasonable with his pricing.

Both the panelbeater and windscreen guys deny removing them so needless to say i wont be going back to either in the future.

·
Registered
nissan
1,176 Posts
Windscreens are sikaflexed in place these days and also sealed off by the sikaflex. Does not sound like a good job on the screen.
Yep agree with this, have come across bad installs resulting in leaks and or wind noise a few times before, and yes the rubber is just cosmetic and does not act as the seal

·
Registered
nissan/gu
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea its on the passenger side floor. i guess il be taking it back for him to fix it, i guess the only way to tell is to pull the windscreen out and check out the bead of silcone/adhesive? i dont understand how a "profesional" cant put in a decnt bead on a windscreen

·
Registered
nissan
148 Posts
ash1988,
If its passenger floor ash , get someone to run hose or tip bucket of water over screen or skuttle panel under screen and see if water is running of heater fan or dripping out of heater box [which is behind glove box ] . If the water is coming in here it will be one of the seals that seal the skuttle panel to the body. When they put screens in gu's they have to remove this skuttle panel . The little black clips that hold the skuttle in have a little seal on bottom [like a small rubber condom] if this little seal is broken it will let water straight in to the heater box and onto the floor..

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm with Digga Dave,
I'd put money on that little number being the culpret.
Especialy if the water is coming out from behind the glove box and has been at a panel beater.

Only difference I had with Digger is that I only had one and only replaced one...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
ash1988,
If its passenger floor ash , get someone to run hose or tip bucket of water over screen or skuttle panel under screen and see if water is running of heater fan or dripping out of heater box [which is behind glove box ] . If the water is coming in here it will be one of the seals that seal the skuttle panel to the body. When they put screens in gu's they have to remove this skuttle panel . The little black clips that hold the skuttle in have a little seal on bottom [like a small rubber condom] if this little seal is broken it will let water straight in to the heater box and onto the floor..
Comment is correct.

Had mine replaced O'briens and watched them do it with the sikaflex all round, not much chance leaking through there, made sure all clips where ok.

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had my screen replaced a while ago after sticking a branch through it. After it was done I had a lot of engine noise coming through, so obviously it wasn't sealed properly. Didn't get any rain so I dunno if it would have leaked, but it sure was noisy.

They had to come back for round 2 and seal it up again. So the pro's can certainly stuff it up.

·
Registered
nissan/gu
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
il be checking out all your suggestions tomorrow, i just think it has to be related to the new windscreen as i have never seen a drop inside before. thanks for all your help il let you know how i go.

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
They need to remove the panel I mentioned below the window to replace it and if it is leaking out of your A/C box, I can guarantee the problem I had is your problem.

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Windscreen replaced (insurance claim) then new wind and engine noise in cabin. Installers left off three scrivets. The center and each either side. Have purchased new 6mm scrivets from super cheap. Replaced all 9 and used some sealant on each. Looks like the windscreen is sealed OK but haven't been through rain or run the hose over. Had the windscreen replaced at Cootamundra NSW. Picked the car up 5pm and set off the next day returning to QLD 1175km 2 day trip. Annoying because a poorly done job and I am left fixing shoddy work. I'm sure they didn't miss charging the insurance company for the screen. Thanks to the previous posts for the info/pictures and solution.

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
ash1988,

I had two screens put in only to find out that the rubber seal [like a small rubber condom] had been knocked out on three of them ..

I pulled out my heater fan and looked up at the back of these clip to see water dripping straight into the heater box which then lets the water come straight out onto your floor between the white plastic/foam seal and straight behind the glove box..

If you turn your fresh air button to recircle it does not allow the water to drop into the heater box..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts