Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2005 Patrol GU ZD30 Di
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Thought I'd share what I'm dealing with this weekend.

I'm installing a new headunit, speakers, small form factor subwoofer and amplifier, as well as full sound deadening etc over the next few weekends. I thought I'd tackle the headunit wiring first as I had some errands to run in the car and didn't want to strip the whole interior yet, but wanted some tunes for the trip. Anyway, this is what I found when I removed the head unit...

Electrical wiring Electricity Cable Gas Wire
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Auto part Electrical supply Wire
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part

I just... Yeah 馃ゲ. The previous owner had very kindly only used the lowest quality splicing connectors to wire up the headunit, not thinking to use a wiring loom adaptor, as well as wiring his UHF and other accessories to the 12 volt supply behind the headunit.

All unfused. With this connection method used when multiple wires needed the same source
Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Electronic component Cable Gas

I'm genuinely surprised my car hasn't caught on fire.

Anyway, 5 hours later I think I have the right wires solder spliced and shielded. But remember, if you buy a used car and suspect the after market headunit, or any accessory, was installed DIY by the last owner, have a good look at the install quality if you can.

Btw, this is how ALL of the wiring in the vehicle (aftermarket lights, dual battery etc) was wired.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
I鈥檓 a little bit speechless. 馃槼

• Haha
Reactions: will_fernando

Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
Wow, like you I'm surprised it didn't jump up and bite the previous owner, more good luck I suspect, hope you have similar experience in your restoration. Hope you continue to show us your progression through this and other mods you have planned.

Registered
Nissan
Five hours of stripping, soldering and shielding later, I can breathe easy.
Will post up some images of the sound deadening going in over the next few weeks. Any tips much appreciated 馃槂

View attachment 543950

Just going through this with mine now... Was painful but worth it. I see you've colour coded the centre console.. interesting.

I just installed 4 X 6.5" 3 way speakers plus new wiring plus an amp. Installing sub woofer tomorrow. I didn't end up doing new wiring to the driver's door but... That one is a door off and seperate bung and sheath job.

Premium Member
Nuffin now
Reactions: Marko_SJ and rgren2

Registered
2005 Patrol GU ZD30 Di
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Btw, those two unshielded twisted 'junctions' in the last photo are unfused posative and negative terminals within 2cm of each other...
馃敟馃敟馃敟馃敟馃敟馃敟馃敟馃敟

Today I'm tackling the accessory wiring! And the trailer plug, which is held together with more splicing connectors. 馃コ

Premium Member
Nuffin now
Reactions: Marko_SJ
1 - 12 of 12 Posts