Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Racetech gauges which i love except for the piercing sound when you turn the ignition on.
So i have been told in order to mute the gauges on start up, i need to connect them to permanent power. In order to avoid the gauges from being constantly on, do i need to connect the earth to something that is earthed only when the ignition is on?
Anyone know of something that i could connect it to?
Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
I am probably dense here, but if you connect to permanent power and then switch the earth, then doesn't that turn them off, only to come on again when you start the car?:confused:

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And im going to sound even more dense because when it comes to electrics, i am. How do you switch the earth? I always thought you could only switch off an actual switch or from positive?

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
New driver is correct, if you switch the earth it is effectively no different to having it ignition switched. It will turn the gauges off and in when ever you switch the earth off.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
And im going to sound even more dense because when it comes to electrics, i am. How do you switch the earth? I always thought you could only switch off an actual switch or from positive?
No dumb questions only dumb answers....
If you put a switch or relay in the earth wire it will cut the earth and turn off what ever the accessory is, you need a complete circuit to have an active supply to an accessory. So it doesn't really matter whether you switch the earth or the live feed. Most of the time switching the live feed makes it safer electrically, as the whole car is an earth when you cut the positive wire with a switch you shorten or lesson the lengths of wire that are 'live' which if there is a lose connection or wire could have shorted easily etc.

Sometimes it is smarter and easier to switch the earth depending on what your trying to achieve.

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
get new gauges
if the gauges are not switch they will very slowly drain your battery

if they have a bat wire and an ign wire can u put both those wires to ign

might be cheaper to wear ear plugs

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
What makes the noise? Can it be disabled? Either that or might be time for some new gauges!

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gauges have an alarm that can be set when max temp is reached. The alarm sounds on start up. However, the gauge can be muted only if power is constant and then that means earth must be switched otherwise it will drain power. It's not a massive issue, not my daily driver, just gives me the chits when i do drive it.

·
Registered
Nissan
757 Posts
The racetech gauges are good I've got em!!

They should b an accesories wire on the back aswell as a permanent wire!

All u have to do is just wire the permanent wire to a permanent feed, I got mine from my stereo, aswell as my switched "accesories" from the stereo just for ease of not pulling anything else apart, and ran it to my gauges!

And from memory u have to hold the button down when u switch it on for the first time to mute them!!

And havin the permanent power there it also remembers all of your peak readings, which is a handy little feature!

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,552 Posts
The gauges have an alarm that can be set when max temp is reached. The alarm sounds on start up. However, the gauge can be muted only if power is constant and then that means earth must be switched otherwise it will drain power. It's not a massive issue, not my daily driver, just gives me the chits when i do drive it.
If you switch the earth then the power is NOT constant, it's still turned off. As sooty explained, if you switch either of them it has exactly the same effect, an electrical accessory needs both power and earth to work, it doesn't matter which one you switch it still turns it off and will make the test noise when you reconnect it. If you disconnect the earth from the battery but leave the positive connected, you still can't start the car even though it's connected to power, and the radio forgets it's stations, it doesn't make any difference which you disconnect.

As RJGU42 said, race tech gauges (if anything like Defi) should have from memory a red, orange, white and black wire I think.

Black is earth, red is permanent positive, orange is ignition and white is dash lights. However... Not what you want to hear but on powering ignition it still does it's test noise, so unless you want to leave the ignition supply also permanently powered, draining the battery you have to put up with it unless you can dismantle it and cut the wire to the beeper if possible.

Defi guages have a dip switch that lets you turn the alarm off, I had thought the racetech ones did too but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the email from Roadrunner explaining how it is supposed to work;

"Firstly they must be wired up so the red wire has permenant power, otherwise the gauge will lose it's memory to mute each time the car is turned off. If this is wired correctly simply hold the button down and turn on the ignition, keep holding until the gauge has gone through it's normal two sweeps and beep. then release, turn the car off and from now on the when turnign on there should be no beep."

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Yup guys thats how to turn that crap assed noise off...now I have racetech as well and were fitted by a shop...now dilema I am having is when I turn off factory stereo the gauges turn off with them...so exactly WTF have they done and how do I fix it...not going to said shop as they suck balls.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Edit - Keeping it g rated

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Bigdogdazza.
Sounds like they got the power and accessories from your stereo. Bit silly if a shop has done it. What you will need to do is just rewire it. I would leave the constant feed wire connected to the radio but change the accessories wire to the ignition or similar. Leaving constant on your radio will retain all of the gauge settings same as the radio retains stations and moving the accessories will allow you to turn the radio off.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
easiest way to wire the gauges

brake pedal has constant power
some switches behind steering wheel have lights on power and ground
and ign can be found under steering column pretty easily

or instead of ign wire it to acc power which can be found on back of cig lighter

I never ever connect stuff to stereo power because this can cause noise thru the speakers

soo many shops do sheit work or just over complicate a simple job

1 - 17 of 17 Posts