Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All..

Wasnt sure to put this in electrical however I would like to know how people ran power leads and switches from the lights on your roof and into the cabin.

I've heard of people drilling through the roof, I wasnt to keen on that idea however Im keen to either mount an LED light bar or some HID's on the roof any suggestions?

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Run a power wire through your snorkel and then Sikaflex it into the rain gutter until you run it onto the rack via one of the legs.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Yeah should be in Electrical, but heres a couple of ideas,

You could always run the flat 7 core trailer loom through from the engine bay\ inner mudguard panel and come out near the front door and then up the the A Pillar on the flat and roll it over the edge at the top. Use some of the aluminised mylar flashing tape from bunnings to cover it up the underside of the "A" pillar, its 2" wide and will sit over the cable nicely, doesn't come off easily when applied to a clean, dry surface, and is not bulky. That gives you a lot of colour coded wiring options for accessories up there, if they are not really high load.

or there's white marine twin core you could run through the wiring channel in the door sils, pop it out at the back of the "B" pillar and run up inside the seat belt cover to the top and out under the door opening trim and then zip tied to the roof rack legs near the "B" pillar.

and then theres the 7 core heavy duty trailer wiring loom, from truck spares places, heavier guage for higher loads, lower voltage drop, switch that, and run it through the wiring channel in the door sil and into the seat belt cover and go to smaller wires on a terminal block in there, allows power to be applied through a couple of the wires to reduce voltage loss by spreading supply across several cables,

Theres quite a few options depending on wire guages and numbers of wires.......You just have to think about it a bit and check out different routes and options, no drilling through roof panels - not allowed that lets the red stain out from under the paint.................... dont use any silicone that also lets the red stain out, eventually, polyurethane adhesives only to stick stuff down on your truck.

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Theres quite a few options depending on wire guages and numbers of wires.......You just have to think about it a bit and check out different routes and options, no drilling through roof panels - not allowed that lets the red stain out from under the paint.................... dont use any silicone that also lets the red stain out, eventually, polyurethane adhesives only to stick stuff down on your truck.[/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate on the Red stain comment?
Also, some examples of polyurethane adhesives, or where to get them?

Thanks..

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I have a small hole inbetween my drivers door, near the piller. Wires run thru that to my roof console. A grommet keeps the nasties out. Ill tak ea photo if you like..

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
thanks A4B you got it, I thought it was pretty clear. You can also use the cheaper by half than sika polyurethane, the Bostic product Goldflex, available in black white and grey, also there is a selleys poly thats cheaper then Sika, they are all basically the same, and do the same job, 'cept for draining your pocket. You don't have to pay the premium for the 'automotive' or 'Marine' grades.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
I have a small hole inbetween my drivers door, near the piller. Wires run thru that to my roof console. A grommet keeps the nasties out. Ill tak ea photo if you like..
\

Is this an inside roof console, or a roof rack mounted thing?????

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
\

Is this an inside roof console, or a roof rack mounted thing?????
Sorry, i have an inside roof console where the relays for my roof rack mounted lights are.

I probably need to increase the size of the wiring to those lights, but im considering changing it to an LED light bar instead...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys I was going to run some hid spotties on the roof but I'm now leaning towards running an led light bar less current draw and more lumens of light will keep you posted on how I'm going

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just to add about silicone if you ever need to use it on a vehicle just make sure it is Nuetral Cure and not acid cure. You smell vinegar if it is acid cure.

I had solar on my roof for a trip last year and ran the wiring out the rear door and under the rear dust deflector and held it down with mounting tape in the gutter. Unless you looked very hard you would not have noticed it

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
Just to add about silicone if you ever need to use it on a vehicle just make sure it is Nuetral Cure and not acid cure. You smell vinegar if it is acid cure.

I had solar on my roof for a trip last year and ran the wiring out the rear door and under the rear dust deflector and held it down with mounting tape in the gutter. Unless you looked very hard you would not have noticed it
This may be a silly question, but what is "Mounting Tape" ?? A search on google finds everything from Sticky tape to some 3M double sided foam stuff.

What do you refer to ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Basically it is the same stuff as what is used to mount a weathershield. Souds terrible to use but it came off with a bit of effort and and lot neater to use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts