Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is the best way to run a wire for my work light situated by my spare on barn doors

from battery to switch inside 4x4 from switch to work light

any suggestions

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Might get more of a response in electrical thread mate. But

a. Is it led?
b. Do you want it to have power through ignition or constant?

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Hi Mate, although it is sometimes a good idea to connect ya work light to the reversing lights it can be a better option to have it totally seperate say when you are camped somewhere or are performing a recovery or similar so you can have rearward light when moving forward. ALso if you have a major melt down if the light is seperate you can usually be asured that at least ya work light will be working. If using a halogen ensure you use a relay so the switch isnt switching a high current which will eventually burn out the switch contacts. I would wire it directly to the battery using an in line fuse as close to the supply end as possible (the battery). Make sure you use heavy enough cable if using halogen to avoid voltage drop from all the way up front to the rear and to ensure sufficient size for the current passing along it. Use rubber grommets when ever running the cable thru the fire-wall of metal so the wire isnt chafed thru, causing fireworks and fires. If using LED lights then you may be able to dispense with the relay and a light duty wire will suffice.
You will only need to run 1 wire to the light as the body (or bracket) on the light will be your earth or negative point. For wiring diagrams check the net type in spotlight wiring there are plenty of em on there. If in doubt visit ya local electronics parts store like Jaycar or Altronics they have all the bits you will need like relays, in line fuse holders, grommets, switches, cable ties etc and they will even do you up a quick diagram if ya ask em nicely! Easy !!

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
thats what the +12 from the 3 way switch is for, 1-power when in reverse, 2-off, 3-on

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that

But I did not explain myself properly, when running the wire is it best to run the wire thru the chasis under the patrol or through the interior of the patrol to connect up to the light, or can you run the wire through the firewall all the way from front to back

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
OR just do what i did unplug your rear dimisater and hook them up of that. probly not the best way but it works i never used my rear dimister and this way theres already wire and a switch run for you hahahaha

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
thanks for that

But I did not explain myself properly, when running the wire is it best to run the wire thru the chasis under the patrol or through the interior of the patrol to connect up to the light, or can you run the wire through the firewall all the way from front to back
I drilled a small hole in my door behind the wheel carrier, then routed the wire through the barn door following factory harness out under right rear quarter along the chassis

·
Registered
nissan
73 Posts
All great ideas i was thinking how to run the wire aswell and thought of hooking it up to my 12Volt axillery station at the back of the wagon. Also think LED are the way to go

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
If I had the extra cash I would have gotten LED's for sure, that way you can use them longer as lighting if setting up camp or something with the engine off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts