Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/mq
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hay im onto my 4th l28 in my mq rig :D the just dont like how i drive!!.
ive got a 2inch suspension, 2inch shakle, 2inch body lift with 33" coppers on it! and on tha engine had a webber ,2 1/2 inch exshaust !! i ve resprayed it monaro yellow its looks tank just need sumthin descent in it! :(
so im thinking of putting an ls1 gen3 into it but cant find any adapter kit so im gonna settle for a 350 chev any1 got any tips for me !! and wat its gonna set me back !!

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Castlemaine Rod Shop (4WD Transmission Conversions) sells adapters to suit MQ conversions. I did one up in the late 80s for my MQ and after a lot of research, it seemed that the Holden engine was the best choice overall. However, the biggest factor in the Holden's favour was that all of the components were on the same side as the MQ diesel engine, radiator hoses etc, so the fitment of all of these parts was a walk in the park. Check this out before you make a choice of engine, as it can save you lots of heartache.

The engine mounts were also an easy setup and considering that I did the conversion while I was in Queensland and it passed the motor branch inspection first go, says something about how easy it was to do. Queensland roads department had a pre-approved set of rules for engine conversions to 4WDs, so that made the Holden choice easier.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
ive started compiling info here: http://nerok.info/general/engine_conversions/index

what ray mentions about hoses is sort of correct. diesel radiators are top hose on the right and bottom hose on the left, same as the holden v8 engines. L28 are top hose on the left and bottom hose on the right, same as a chev.

cost aint cheap, its ~600 for the bellhousing, the whole kit might go up to 1500 when you factor in the clutch and flywheel etc. then you gotta buy the engine and get exhaust made up for it. then you got all the little fiddly things to do like air cleaner and radiator hoses. so cost can easily go 4k+.

or be thrifty and buy one with a v8 in it. i got one with 253 in it and it still had 6 months rego for $1000. the car was beat-up but everything was in it, bellhousing, engine mounts, exhaust etc. pulled those bits off, wrecked a few other bits and sent it off to scrap, saved a fortune.

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
I had one just like yours & put an 010 block 350 chev in it, got all the gear off Marks adapters & it was a very easy straight forward conversion I ran it on straight gas (& gas was only 11c a litre then)

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
LOL god I wish it was still that cheap, at over $1.50 I'm now considering making my own diesel (from deep fryer oil) :toothmis:
I should have said LPG gas!! lol I thought when I said straight gas it would have made scence.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Best bet is to contact the relevant authorities in your state,because depending on the vintage of the motor relevant to the car,the 350 chev mite need to run on straight LPG
Each state has different road laws and regs for this
Converting to LPG could throw another few K in the pot
You must be seriously given the L28 a hard time,there a tuff little motor
I break gearboxes before motors

·
Registered
208 Posts
3000 with all the bits u need...everything from the air filter to the exhaust tip..... Whole car or I can put it on a pallet for freight....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
33 Posts
hey mate, i just finished putting a 302 windsor into my MK patrol, was pretty straight forward.
im running an auto behinf it as there is no way the standard 4spd manual and clutch will hold up
to my driving style.
i made everything myself including the transmision mounting bracket, mate u will save heaps doing
it all yourself.
the only thing i got made was the driveshaft from the auto to the divorce transfer case.
but if yours has a 5spd in it then u will need to buy a bellhousing kit.
but i cant justify the price some of these places charge for some of there stuff.

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,307 Posts
I should have said LPG gas!! lol I thought when I said straight gas it would have made scence.
I'm not American so it was exactly what I was thinking LPG, i was just reflecting over the fact that the price has gone up by what, 600%?!? :crazy:

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Beats me why you would turn a good 4WD into a pile of junk just by putting Ford bits on it, and a whole Ford motor, well there should be a law against it.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Nothin wrong with ford motors
Think the 351 in the GTHO used to flog any new comers for many many years

FORMUD,
If your running a remote transfer sounds like you have a LWB
There aint alotta room to do this in a SWB

·
Registered
nissan patrol
33 Posts
MQ MAD

yeah im running a divorced transfercase
the drive shaft between the auto and the transfer has only 10mm of
tubeing between the 2 uni joints. is a verry tight fit
u would be better off buying the bellhousing for your gearbox to go to your motor

and to ChOps, why go posting **** like that in this thread, go start your own thread titled
ALL FORD PARTS ARE CRAP and post whatever u like in it

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
ive started compiling info here: http://nerok.info/general/engine_conversions/index

what ray mentions about hoses is sort of correct. diesel radiators are top hose on the right and bottom hose on the left, same as the holden v8 engines. L28 are top hose on the left and bottom hose on the right, same as a chev.

cost aint cheap, its ~600 for the bellhousing, the whole kit might go up to 1500 when you factor in the clutch and flywheel etc. then you gotta buy the engine and get exhaust made up for it. then you got all the little fiddly things to do like air cleaner and radiator hoses. so cost can easily go 4k+.

or be thrifty and buy one with a v8 in it. i got one with 253 in it and it still had 6 months rego for $1000. the car was beat-up but everything was in it, bellhousing, engine mounts, exhaust etc. pulled those bits off, wrecked a few other bits and sent it off to scrap, saved a fortune.

How does the 253 go?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
that particular car was a heap, stalled 4 times getting up my driveway lol, it had a hard life. but i bought it for the permits etc, not the engine itself.

a mate bought a mq lwb 253 for 1200, it was an animal! we would go 4wding with other mates mates and they would be like 'why you bringing this bunky old POS along, im not towing it home', but guaranteed we showed them up every time. it would get up dunes that a twin locked td42 gq couldnt even get up with bigger tyres on it.we were up the top of a dune watching new navaras and rodeos failing to get up for 10 minutes, so we followed them down after another failure and slapped it in reverse at the bottom and went back up lol. they left after that.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Must have been a freak of a motor

Ya can get 1 here and there

But seriously the SD33T would shake a sh*tty little 253
There like a loud little dog
All bark no bite

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
253 are a good motor, for what they are. i wouldnt hesitate putting one into a 4wd if the price was right. but often a 308 is the same price, or only a few hundred more.

the one i speak of was a factory high compression, other than that it had an old msd-6 on it (still points dissy) and the rest was stock. even stock cast manifolds.
YouTube - MOV00186.3GP
YouTube - Mud Pit - 2
lost all my videos of it 4wding though :( and it would leave an sd33t for dead in speed. would loose in economy and water crossings although it was still a great tower.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts