Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

woops no brakes

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kiwi4x4 
#1 ·
Hi guys
pulled in to the drive today braked, BANG extra travel in brake pedal, heading towards the shed hopeing to stop in time, changed my pants.On inspection i had thrown a front brake pad on further inspection front disc is cracked. I have two questions first what causes pads to pop out like that and second do i have to replace both brake discs.
And No i didnt hit the shed Ha Ha
cheers

#2 ·
sounds to me like either the rotors are way below minimum thickness and the pads are also very worn causing the pads to pop out of the retaining clips or the pins have broken off causing all the caliper to have fallen off and making the pads fall out.
to replace both rotors is no real biggie but you need a 54mm hub socket and some hub seals to repack the wheel bearings at the same time. then its just a case of pull fwh and hub off. bash rotor off hub and clean up, replace rotor back on and repack wheel bearings. reinstall all onto vehicle and pretension wheel bearings correctly. most likely need to replace pads as well.
what is the condition of the calipers? they may need a freshen up as well. new seals and slide pins.

#6 ·
Same thing happened to me once. Pulled up at work, pedal went almost to floor and heard a clunk. Got out and found a front inside pad sitting in the rim. Worn down to the metal on the leading edge and rotors 1mm undersize.
Bloody mud soup does that :angryfir:
Replaced the rotors with slotted ones.

#7 ·
X2 but i was half way between Beachport and Robe in the dunes when the pedal went to the floor. About 5 pumps and it was back so i continued. Sure enough, got to Robe and had spat a pad.

Fortunately i had a spare set in the drawers so replaced them when i got back to camp.

Did a full change over to slotted rotors and good pads when i got home and never looked back.

#10 ·
Thanks for your guys input. Pulled it apart today rotors at 15.5mm, 2.5mm under min spec. replaced both sides repacked bearings, noticed one caliper leaking and dust cover on other stuffed so guess what im doing today. will look at the back end on the weekend might end up doing that to.
cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.