Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i need workshop manual to repair tappets

Hello, i´m in spain and i need to adjust my 4.2 diesel tappets, but is imposible to find the workshop manual, and i can´t download it from here,
Could some one of you send it to me to [email protected] please.

i need to know if it must be done in a hot engine and the mm.

thank you very much friends

·
Registered
92 Posts
"(engine @ operating temperature)....

w/- No.1 piston @ Top Dead Centre on the compression stroke, the TDC mark on the crankshaft pulley will be aligned with the mark on the timing cover, both valves of No.1 cylinder should have clearance, the exhaust valve of No.6 cylinder will be closing, and the inlet valve of No.6 cylinder will be starting to open....

w/- the valves numbered 1-12 from the front of the engine....
Adjust the rocker arm adjusting screws until a 0.35mm feeler gauge slides neatly between the rocker arm and the end of the valve stem on valves No. 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, and 9...

Rotate the engine 360 degrees until the TDC mark on the crankshaft pulley is aligned with the mark on the timing cover, valves No. 11 and 12 have clearance, valve No.2 is closing, and valve No.1 is starting to open....
Adjust the rocker arm adjusting screws until a 0.35mm feeler gauge slides neatly between he rocker arm and the end of the valve stem on valves No. 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, and 12.... "

Hope this helps

·
Registered
Nissan
85 Posts
The service manual pdf file is about 90mb size - very large for email.
Yes - adjustment is done hot. Set at 0.35mm. Remove rocker cover end bolts first, working to centre, reverse order when refitting - torque to 1-3 Nm - not very much at all.
Use timing marks on crank pulley to set TDC #1. If it's on compression, then tappets (count from front) 1,2,4,5,8,9 will be loose and can be adjusted. Then rotate engine one turn and do the rest 3,6,7,10,11,12.
Tappet lock nut torque spec is 16-22 Nm.
I rotate engine by jacking a rear wheel, putting in 5th gear and rotating. If an auto, then you need another method - large socket on crank nut and bar. You probably need to clean the pulley and timing case to see the marks easily.

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you!! I have changed the gear box oil and i think it was the first time in 150.000 km that it has been done so i am sure that it wil change a lot after adjusting valves.

thank you again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts