Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a search on this and didnt find much. I was wondering if anyone knows the best/cheapest way to replace the steering wheel on an 03 troll as mine is ****ed and is sticky and has an airbag in it so probably very expensive to replace. Any ideas?

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
64 Posts
Has anyone successfuly recovered and air bag'd GU steering wheel?? i know motor trimmers can do a air bag course to allow them to remove and refit seats (which before you ask are part of the airbag deployment sustem). surely this covers air bags in wheels too??

surely there are trimmers around who can do it and someone can confirm here that its possible and how much?? did any ever confim pricing with NIZZBITS??

$12k sounds even too expensive for nissan! are you suggesting that a vehicle which suffers steering wheel damage (ie the airbag deploys as a result of a relatively minor accident) is halfway to being written-off by insurers just by virtue of the cost of a replacement wheel??

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Saw a type of converter on ebay that allows you to put an aftermarket thing on..... Mine was buggered when I bought my troll and the dealership changed it for a reasonable used one... couldn't have been that expensive otherwise the [email protected] wouldn't have done it....

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
forkliftdrew (99GUTD42) said:
surely there are trimmers around who can do it and someone can confirm here that its possible and how much?
There was 1 that was interested in doing it in Moorabbin. They do BMW repairs for a mates work, and the price was 'mates rates' at 300 or 390 cant remember (i think price is in other thread).

None of the other dozen or 2 trimmers I called would even discuss it.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
I had the same problem ( sticky deteriorating wheel )
I got a cover from supercheap ..... Thinking about it now it may be a size too small...... It was a real bastard to get on .... The first one split whilst putting it on but luckily this was in the carpark went in and got another and gently stretched and coaxed it on, took about 15min and lot of effort but eventually got it on. Now it's a lot better.. It's slightly spongy .. But the best part is the thickening of the steering wheel, feels a lot nicer.

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
I've had 2 out of supercheap in 7 years and both went straight on in 5 minutes.
Last one i bought the other day was a nice rm williams leather jobby for 17 bucks.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,253 Posts
Wrap it in a leather or a material the same as used on golf clubs.
Friend of mine did his wheel some time back and certainly looked the goods.

·
Workin for the weekend
nissan
431 Posts
Get a cover, i got a wheel skins cover for mine, got it from fleebay bout $25 from memory plus you can order what ever colout you want and it looks almost factory if put on rite.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,103 Posts
Why dont you take the air bag off and get a wheel from wreckers, then put the airbag back on new wheel.
I have taken the airbag off about a dozen times with no problems.
If thats no good, when bag is off recover the wheel. Guy next door recovers in leather $200.00 depending what colour.

cheers Shane.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments fellas i will make some enquiries and let yuz know how i go. Cheers.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
I've had 2 out of supercheap in 7 years and both went straight on in 5 minutes.
Last one i bought the other day was a nice rm williams leather jobby for 17 bucks.
nutta i tried fitting that rm williams cover to mine, the 17" was too large and the 15" was too small, where did you get yours and do you recall what size it was?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wrap it in a leather or a material the same as used on golf clubs.
Friend of mine did his wheel some time back and certainly looked the goods.
X2 here in Panama some people opt for the leather, which by the way looks great and has a nice feel to it.
Anyhow others like me who dont want to spend the extra dough, get a cheap cover! Works wonders as well!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I need my wheel done too. I got a price from Nissan New Zealand for a replacement wheel today (you don't need to buy the airbag) and it was NZD$2,210 plus GST.

I let someone else drive it for 9 hours in the weekend and the stench of his sweat coming out of the worn leather and onto my hands was revolting untill I got some baby wipes from a roadside store and cleaned it

If I could do without the truck for a few days I would look at having it re-stitched, but I guess a cover will have to do.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I need my wheel done too. I got a price from Nissan New Zealand for a replacement wheel today (you don't need to buy the airbag) and it was NZD$2,210 plus GST..
pretty much what I expected from Nissan. but still its :shock:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was a bit surprised TBH Truckster. I had thought perhaps it would be $500 for a wheel that only lasts 70-80,000kms...... but no.

I might just sand back the fluffy bits of leather and tell my mate to wash his hands before he drives it again.

I can't complain too much though. All I have had to do to this truck in two years is a set of shocks, machine the rotors and fit new drive belts. I went from a Range Rover that cost $1k a month in maintenance to the Nissan that costs virtually nothing - except for the hideous fuel useage (still at 26l/100kms around town)

·
Registered
nissan
1,113 Posts
I had mine re-covered about 6 months ago in black leather, you can remove air bag no problem if you follow correct procedure and have correct tools such as large tamper proof socket ends (have removed and reinstalled mine a few times)

If you dont want to touch airbags, as long as the wheel does not have big chunks missing out of it etc, drive in drive out for this only costs around $160. :cool:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts