Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Over the last 6-7000 k's I've noticed an increasing amount of harshness in my '88 LWB. I would almost call it a vibration but there's no shaking involved, it's more a high speed buzzing you can feel through your arse. It's worse from 80k's on and reaches optimal skull numbing resonance around 100-105k's.
I was at the local diesel mechanic today and put her up on the hoist. The uni's seem fine but there is movement across the axis of the rear tailshaft (if you grab each end and twist)... Anyway, mech reckons it's due to worn splines. I know bugger all about tailshafts. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this or have had the same problem? Where can I get a reco'd tailshaft or will i get away with one from the wreckers?
Vehicle is a 88 TD42 GQ with 2 inch lift. The lift was done well before this noise/vibration started.
I live in South Gippsland but anywhere from here to Eastern Suburbs is fine if someone knows a good tailshaft mob.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

·
Registered
93 SWB Maverick
1,388 Posts
if you lived in SA i have a LWB shaft sitting here doing nothing ide sell for a 6er.. to bad..

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try the grease again but I don't think that's going to fix the amount of play it has. I'd still be keen to hear from anyone that can recommend a reliable tailshaft place. I'd be happy to pay the $200 as the reasonance/noise is really starting to take it's toll on my sanity.
Thanks AussieMav - my frige is FULL of beer if you want to come for a drive. :D

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
If you can get a new slip joint and a balance for $200 I would be suprised.
I would expect it to be somewhere between $300-$400.
Hardie spicer are very good for driveshaft rebuilds and i belive they have a shop in victoria somewhere..

Cheers

Tom.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,797 Posts
My front one has sh*t itself and I am replacing it with one from a wreckers in good nick. I had also bought a short axle with cv for $100 so he threw the drive shaft in for nothing. Good b*st*ard that bloke.
Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.