Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
naturally asthmatic
4,383 Posts
Worst one for me was loosing brakes while out wheeling with a friend in his father's company truck down a long hill on a logging road with a 90 degree turn at the bottom. It was a road his dad's company had pushed into the bush. Of course, we didn't make the corner and flew off the edge. For some reason, the boys building the road decided to leave four big fir trees halfway up the embankment about 40m from the top and another 40m from the bottom. Usually, all trees on the right-away are taken and sold to the mill. Anyways, we hit the upper 3/4 of these trees sideways with the undercarriage taking the main impact and slid down them. The trees and their branches absorbed the worst of the impact. Had those trees not been there, it would of been another 40m to the bottom landing on boulders the size of a shed. It wouldn't have been pretty. We got away with just cuts and bruises - mainly from escaping the wreck. The truck was totaled.

Sorry, no pics. We didn't have a camera and this was before the time of digital cameras in glove boxes.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Geez Canuck - I hope you thanked the fairies or angles or whatever it is you believe for saving your ass after that one!

My worst - got distracted looking up a gnarly track we went passed whilst driving on a twisty mountain 2WD dirt Rd. Looked up to realise the blind corner just got a whole lot sharper and we were going to fast to make it. I lined up for a tree just off the edge to stop us disappearing into oblivion down the incredibly steel hillside and threw out the anchors. The old (non-ABS) disco slid across the track ploughing up gravel in front of the wheels, until we hit the last 2 feet or so of soft verge - then (fortunately), the front end really sunk / dug in. We ended up sitting on 2 wheels with the front left dug deep into the last few cm of the verge, front right hanging in the air off the road, and car tipped so far over the back left was lifted about 2-3 feet off the ground. We sat there, hardly daring to breath until another car in our group (GU) had a drag chain hooked on and was gently easing us back onto the track!

I'll have to have a good hunt around for photos, this happened about 8-9 yrs ago.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,771 Posts
Slid off the road near the top of Kroombit Tops. I was doing less than 40kph at the time.
I aimed for a couple of small trees as we went over the edge. (Thanks Roothy)
Luckly as it rolled, it hit the tree and came back down onto 4 wheels. The trees held it in place untill I got the kids & missus out and self recovered. It was about a 150m drop.

·
Registered
nissan gq
701 Posts
One of Mine would be the towbar tounge snapping off the 4x4 that was snatching me out,Didnt even see it till it hit the windscreen piller.Got out to look and found that it had hit the bonnet inline with my head but was deflected off line a bit hence it hitting the piller.Found 10 metres behind the car had to dig it out of the bank.Wrecked a bloody straight bonnet too.

Sorry no pic's

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
iv had a couple now.one was up at wedge island for new years.a lime green shorty was giving me a run on the beach except i was high in the softer stuff any way 120km an hour and a set of woops that i forgot about that were about a foot and a half high and a fair distance apart.lets just say i came second after blowing 4 tuff dog big bores 4 rims a banna front diff two gaurds and a lower control arm to match the diff hahaha.who said white man cant jump

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,855 Posts
Slid off the road near the top of Kroombit Tops. I was doing less than 40kph at the time.
I aimed for a couple of small trees as we went over the edge. (Thanks Roothy)
Luckly as it rolled, it hit the tree and came back down onto 4 wheels. The trees held it in place untill I got the kids & missus out and self recovered. It was about a 150m drop.
:shock:
mate, I just shat my pants! can only imagine what it would have been like to be there!

Club rally + Hilux surf = Rollux! hahah. Oh, and a new patrol by demand of the missus!

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/420769-post22.html

My MK after a tree hugging session at 60 KM/H.
Was doing high speed forrest trails and took a hump, got off track in soft roadside and was unable to stear back and there was not enough time to come to a halt without hitting the tree.
Impact at 60Km and wearing no seatbelt.
Got off with bruises and a battered ego.
My mate didn't wear a belt either and smashed my windshield,broke the glovebox and broke off the bar on the dash.

front axle bent 6 cm, right spring bent hood and fender shredded,rim flattened and front bar bent and this was made of 8mm thick high strenght steel.

Am glad I didn't take it full front but just on the corner so the car flipped round.
Full frond would have been a killer crash as I mounted a U beam of 240mm between the chasis-rails with the winch.

Was able to drive home in this state.(had to because it was a closed game reserve and cars are prohibited)

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,567 Posts
This all happened nearly 10 years ago, I arrieved home at Sunday aftertoon at Lake Eacham after driving from Darwin, left Darwin early Saterday morning. When I got home my dad told me about a 4x4 track and falls near Mt Bartle Frere, so I decided on my first day of holidays back at home that I would do this track early in the morning and be back for lunch, thats what I told my olds who both had to work that day.
I left home around 8 with all my recovery gear and had no breakfast as I thought I would be home soon!
My rig was a space cab rodeo with 31 bfg ATs, I took no food, no water and no shoes!
It was very late November or early December so bloody hot and wet, I got little lost and turned down the wrong track, I went down the old Cairns track but was ment keep going straight.
I stuck in the biggest muddy hole and had to hand winch out, I was sweating like there was no tomorrow and was thirsty already.
I continued on and ran onto some people on horse back this was not far from the Y in the track. These people told me that if I went left I would end up down at Goldborough valley and if I went straight I would go down to the water fall, at this stage I realised I was on the wrong track and asked how far it was to goldborough and they told me at that point it I was close to half way there.
I continued on to the falls and had swim and my first huge drink of water for the day. On the way back I didn't get far past the Y only a few 100m and I was stuck on this steep offcamber left hand turn. I started hand winching and it bloody slow going as my car wheels kept turning the wrong way so, I would walk down straighten the steering, hand winch again only about a meter and then go down to fix the steering. After about 30minute my car was close to the top but one my tie rods had snapped!
At this stage I new I was stuffed and walking out was the only option!
I was super thirsty by this and decided it would be easier to walk downhill to water than walk up hill to no water and I though I was around halfway down the track!
I had my mobile with me and I though I might get reception on one of the ridgelines on the way down, I first went back the falls for my second drink and then walked back to the Y and went left to goldborough.
Early in this walk I though this was going to be rather easy and at this stage I was in the Army and had done some huge marches 15-20klm with a 35kg pack, 10 kg webbing and weapon and I though this should be easy as I was travelling very light only carring a moble phone it was around 12 o'clock when I started left on the Y.
It was bloody hot but relatively easy going for the first few hours, I stopped at high clear spots so see I could get phone reception but got zero.
After few hours I was started getting very thirsty and dehydrated, I kept hearing water as I was walking but didn't want to leave the track, my bare feet were getting very sore and bruised, toe nails were getting smashed also, my vision was staring to go bit, I stood and huge long green leaf and had dead set though that I had stood on green tree snake!
I was very dehydrated buy 5 o'clock and all my toes were bleeding badly, the bottom of my feet were bruised very badly, the whole time I was walking I was saying to my self when I find water I need to drink it very slowy or I will get sick.
I found river at about 6 o'clock and I drank water like there was no tomorrow and got a very bad belly ache. This river was basically the last of the downhill section and now I was walking parrell to river, by this stage I was over walking and decided it would be easier to float in the river.
The river had a fare current but this was only in the shallow sections so I got smashed into heaps of rock, I was trying to float down the river with one arm up holdind my moible. On the first rapids I got smashed into a rock and my arm went under and I watched the air bubbles come out of my phone! Once the rapids stopped it was deep and no current!
It was getting dark so I decided that I was exhausted and I had no clue how far I still had to go! So I thought I should fall asleep pretty easily as I was stuffed. I was worried about my olds as I couldn't get in contact with them and I new they would be worried.
I then curled up on a huge boulder near the river, it didn't take me long to realize that sleep wasn't going to be an option as I was getting hammered by moisies and march flies!
It was pitch black by this stage, I couldn't see my hand I front of my face, but I now needed to find the track in the dark, I slowly started to climb up the river edge trying to find the track. The only way that I knew, that I was on the track, was when I wasn't walking into things! I walked with both my arms stretched out straight so I could feel the plants either side of the track, my feet were getting smashed heaps worse now as I could seen anything and had no clue what was coming.
At one stage stopped as I felt something wierd near my noise, I flicked my finger in front of my face and got a huge screach from bat that scared that crap out of me as it bloody loud.
At 8 o'clock found another creek and I realised the track continued on the other side, I then ran into barbed wire fence I was happy now, I new a house wouldn't be that far away now. I started walking across the cane field towards a single light in the distance. It took very long to time get closer to this light and I was starting to think that I was walking to a empty shed. Within 300 meters of this shed 4 dogs started barking and racing to wards me, I was exhausted and new I stood no chance against these dogs, I couldn't run and I couldn't hide as I was in the middle of huge cleared sugar cane field. I looked towards the shed and couldn't see any movement and the dogs were less than 50 meters from me, I knew that I was on my own and just looked at the dogs coming unsure what was going to happen, suddenly a voice called out and stopped the dogs.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,567 Posts
I stood still as the dogs were circling me and I saw a flash light coming towards me. Naturally the first question was " What are you doing here" It took me about 10 minutes to tell my tale and he was amazed that I had made it out especially in the dark and bare foot and through the wader-while. He knew this track well and from my story he said if I had gone back up hill it would have been roughly 8 klm to the first house and coming down was roughly 40 klm.
We then went back to his shed, which was very simple, no electricity, one gas light and one gas fridge and a phone line.
I call my olds straight away as I knew they would be worried its was 8:30 now and my mum finished work a 1 o'clock and my dad had finished work at 5 o'clock.
My olds were initially pissed off and rude and said "Where are you?" I said Goldsborough Valley! They were then a bit surpised with that answer and said " What are you doing there" I then explained my adventure again, my dad then drove down to pick me up.
While I was waiting for my Dad to arrive which took an hour roughly I had my first drink for the day that wasn't water and had some food the first meal of the day.I looked at my bloody toes most of toe nails were missing only the big toes had nails left, both my arms were scratched badly due to me using them as guides to feel my way though the rainforest in the dark.
When my dad arrived I went to get up and was stuggling to stand the lactic acid had built up in my legs while I was sitting and waiting. On the drive home I got their version of their day.
Mum thought there was something wrong when she got home and called all my mates they all said, they hadn't seen me but not to worry. She waited a few hours and then called my dad at work, he thought I might have rolled my car and could be stuck in it some where on the track. My mum them called the Police and they said it was too early I had to be missing for 24 hours first.
When my dad got home jumped on his motor bike and drove past the old cairns and started searching the track that I was ment to be on and it didn't take him long to realize that no 4x4 had been down there recently due to the wet ground and no fresh tyre tracks.
They then waited a few hours and called all friends again and got the same line, they then called the Police and they agreed to starting searching with the SES the next morning, they asked my parents how prepared I was, did I have surival gear, food, water, maps. My olds said no to everything, so due to me being so under prepared and due to the terrain, the SES needed a helicopture and I was going to get bill for $10,000 a day of searching!! My olds rang the Police straight after my call and the search was cancelled so no bill.
On the drive up the gillies my Dad told me he would take Tuesday of to help recover my car, I said I had no plans to go back for week as, I was in a lot of pain, my car was undriveable, in the middle of no where still hanging of my hand winch! He said NO its getting recovered tomorrow because someone might steal it or release the hand winch and send it down hill.
I reluctantly said ok, and started to plan the recovery, we had old 4x4 suzuki on at home so I thought we would drive that in, my dad said NO as he had no recovery gear to get through the mud hole, his plan was for both of us to ride in on mountain bikes with a few hand tools. I reluctantly again said ok.
Very early the next day we drove to the last property on the old cairns track and left the car there and jumped on the bikes with a few hand tools, we had left rather early as we were unsure how long the recovery would take and didn't want to drive out in the dark.
I can't recall how long it took but I was rather surprised how fast we got to my car, most of it was downhill this helped. My car was still how I'd left it both front tyres pointing outwards and still hanging of the hand winch, we had rain that night and I wasn't sure if the tree would still be there because it had my car hanging of it and all the rain and it was lucky to 5 inches in diameter all the bigger trees were to far away. We diconnected the one brocken tie-rod and rode out, this took long time as most of it was uphill and my legs/feet were killing me.
At home my dad welded 4 pieces of reo onto the tie-rod, we went back and rode in again, bolted the tie-rod back in and threw the bikes on the back and drove out around 1 o'clock so it went a lots faster than expected.
Well that was story of my first run down the old cairns track and the first day back home out of a 8 week holiday, I didn't leave home for the next few days as it took my body a while to recover from that experience.
This is one 4x4 adventure I will remember for rest of my life and its that clear and detailed in my memory it feels like it happened yesterday.
I have since then done this track on numerous occasions with no issues and have also riden down whole track on twice on mountain bikes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.