Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I thought Id get an un-biased opinion from people who dont know me..Well here goes, after years of randomnly applying for mining jobs over the net, making phone calls to employment agencies, I applied for a mining job after stumbling across it because I was all annoyed with the rain that wont stop here at the moment.
A week later, I got an email back with a date to attend a assesment centre.. I attended that an didnt think too much of it as there 150 other people.
Today I got an email to say yes I have the job and will be put through to training within 3 months. Dump truck driver, 5 on 5 off at Blackwater (2 hours from where I live), $110k a year, 6 weeks holiday..this obviously means I would only work 4.5months of the year!!!

Now the reason I have a hard decision to make is because I am a self employed bobcat operator and have been for the past 6 years, business has had its ups and downs (big down in the GFC) and generally speaking going pretty good.

I have always wanted to go to the mines and play with the big gear but it is so hard to get an oppurtunity now I got that oppurtunity I dont know if I could handle being away from my wife (wife works full time) and 3 kids for 5 days at a time but could do bobcat work on my days off while the mrs is at work..

$110k a year guaranteed is pretty tempting, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
Nissan
97 Posts
Do it, good thing about working for someone else is you can leave at the end of the day, or quit-while they get all the stress and responsibility.
look at it this way- while your away from home more, the time you're back will be better quality- off work and cashed up.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
The family side of the equation is the big one! The money is, like you say, guaranteed. would you earn that bobcating? Will the opportunity come again?
In the end, only you can chose

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
No brainer mate, go for it! you have been given the green light! worst case , it's only a year out of your life.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
187 Posts
Go for it man. I worked for my self all my life and usually it works out to be 7days 24 hours , cause you might be at a bbq and at the back of your head you thinking what you will be doing on monday, tuesday, and so on.
Working for awage the boss have the worries not you.
True you work for 5 days but you can have good quality time for the next 5 days with
the family or do a little bit of work if you like.
The money is not something to sneeze at either,
good luck

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
5 on 5 off sounds great, if you didn't have a family. You might want to consider how many weekend your will miss with the kids. I personally would take it, if I was in your situation WITH NO FAMILY TO WORRY ABOUT. I have worked 2 and 1, shutdowns, rotating shift.... they all suck in their own way. But you will regret the amount of weekends you miss.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Mate I think you should go for it. At least get a year under your belt, if it doesn't suit quit and go back to what your doing and you'll still have the year under your belt with a foot in the door should things better suit at a later date.

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys so far. I would have 2 weekends a month at home. The thing that I really like about the mine oppurtunity is the stability, superannuation and not having to worry if its going to rain and be too wet to work, like it is now. The past month because of the rain I have worked about 5 days, so wet weather dont pay well, unlike my cousin who is at Moranbah for Leightons, he has barely worked the past 5 weeks and been on full pay!!!

One other thing that I didnt mention is that will bus me in for the 5 days and bus me back for my days off, so no costs of driving vehicles etc..

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mate I think you should go for it. At least get a year under your belt, if it doesn't suit quit and go back to what your doing and you'll still have the year under your belt with a foot in the door should things better suit at a later date.
Yeah very true, only thing though is because they are training me up which they say costs $30,000, if I leave within the 1st year I have to pay back $15,000. If I leave within 2 years I have to pay back a percentage..

·
mechanical necromancer
1,682 Posts
there's a saying in the car trade, "suck it and see" give it 6 months and re assess then give it 12 and do the same. good cash, good holidays and 5/5 work fortnight sounds pretty darn hard to knock back. you'll still have the bobcat to go back to if you don't want to stay in the mine.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Why don't you

Why don't you interview for a bobcat driver to help build your business while you're away, that way you could come back to it easier and you can be making money from that aswell. The trick is to get a good driver, I know, but that is what I would do.

Cheers Gordo'

·
Registered
nissan
400 Posts
I can tell you the travel, and the time spent away from home and family can get tedious. I have spent almost 3 years commuting between Gladstone and Bluff and starting to get a bit tired of it. My shifts are not quite as good as yours. My money is better than yours.

Money isnt everything. Family is.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
When I assess a job I work out my hourly rate. This includes time away from home, travel and lunch breaks as they are not my own time (I'd rather be doing something else).

110k sounds great but you are away from your family and what you'd prefer to be doing for 4.5 months.
4.5 months = 135 days = 3240 hours = $33/hour before tax.

Also bare in mind that you will probably spend more money than normal during your time off.

Up to you.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Usually I'd be the first to steer you away from mining positions. I have watched my friends lives fall apart as weeks away from loved ones forces relationships to the brink. The money seems so good but generally people end up very unhappy. I have watched them become so driven by the $ that their values change significantly, to the point where i barely recognise them.

THAT SAID 5/5 with 2 weekends a month is a remarkable swing and only 2hrs each way travel is a very different situation. Most of the people i am talking about are doing 22 - 27 Days on fly in/out work. one of them is away for almost 3 months at a time. You may be a stronger person than they are but only you can work that out. Good luck with your decision. Just remember money is not everything.

·
Registered
nissan gq
23 Posts
My opinion is that as long as you look at it like a business and have a plan then I say go for it.

I have seen many people go to the mines and earn the good $$$ but start living the lifestyle that goes along with having a high paying job, then they are stuck there because they need to earn $100k plus to survive.

I could not think of a worse job to spend 20 years in. Missing family and events cause your working etc.

If you say to yourself, I will work for 3 years but smash out your mortgage or throw your money into super then I think that is the best idea.

I also like gordonmichaellee idea about subbing out your bobcat and still keeping that business active and drawing some coin from it.

At the end of the day speak with your family. They will be your deciding factor.

~Allan~

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 1998 ST 2.8
22 Posts
well known sayings

Here's 2 for you.....

You will always miss 100% of the shots you never take!!!!

There are those who dream about being successful and there are those who get up early in the morning and do something about it......

Hope this helps

·
Registered
nissan
58 Posts
For the last 10 years I have been on a 6x6 fly in/out overseas and the money was good. We sat down and worked out our priorities and then stuck to them (eg kill the mortgage) and have quality time together.
I have now finished full time work but I still do casual contracts and we are going to do everything we have always wanted to do but were too busy working. We have our bucket list.
The mine work with good money is an opportunity too good to waste and if used to clear debts quickly the whole family will benifit, but also eggs have to be broken to make a good omelette; only you and your family can make the right decision.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts