Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
World Rally Championship

Just watching the WRC on One HD and at the intro, the commentator said that this was the last season for the 2lt turbo engines and next year they'll be running 1.6lt turbo engines. WTF? I wonder when the 100cc turbo WRC cars will hit the road? :rolleyes:

Has anyone else noticed that you cant use capitals in the subject field ie WRC gets converted to Wrc. How stoopid!

Cheers

Ray

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Yep, its a new thing to make sure when someone types in all capitals, other people can read it.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Oh and I agree that it is chit about the 1.6s much the same as the F1s being V8s. As much as I like a high revving V8, I LOVE a V10 or V12 even more!!

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
But its not like they're getting killed

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems a strange way to go about it, as it just reduces the tractability of the engine, as noted in the article (loss of low down torque). You'd think that they could just speed limit the cars in any number of ways. Even handicap them like they do with horses.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Ray

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
it would be the same reason that they put restrictions on formula 1 , it used to be a "free for all" and some guy put a W16, 12 liter aeroplane motor in a race car ( think it still holds speed records ) they then limited the size of engines allowed , and as they became faster they reduced the size limit again, something like 3 liter naturally aspirated , or 1.5 liter turbo charged were/ are the options

it is to keep it competitive and it also advances the technology used which is then put into production cars as more efficient and more powerfull motors , as well as the traction control devices

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,063 Posts
As far as I can remember, the current regulations restrict them to 300bhp anyway. So not sure why they would change the engine capacity, when you could just change the power regulations.

Having said that, it is the combination of power and torque, not just power, so perhaps this was an easier solution.

Not sure why though. :rolleyes:

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what makes motor racing so boring to me nowadays, as it no longer has all that much to do with who makes the best car (power, handling etc), it's more or less just a competition between driver skill. That's probably why I like drag racing, it's still one of the sports that hasn't been totally level fielded, so that everyone has a chance at winning.

Cheers

Ray

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Dropping MotoGP bikes from 1000cc to 800cc made them go faster (less rotating/reciprocating mass in the engine makes for higher corner speeds, exactly the thing they were trying to reduce) but also made them boring at the same time as there's only one racing line now and it's harder to pass... the Law Of Unintended Consequences at work.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
it is to keep it competitive and it also advances the technology used which is then put into production cars as more efficient and more powerfull motors , as well as the traction control devices
Absolutely and so much from F1 filters on down to road and other forms of transport. The fact that reduced engine size from 3L V10 to a 2.4L V8 and now have similar power outputs is quiet amazing. Whats even more amazing is that since the rules on changing engines has come in, reliability has been phenominal. You would often see a few engines let go over a weekend, now that happens over a year. The tyre rules have also seen much better durability and lap times are faster than ever, even with much less downforce. The WRC rules will see a similar advancment in efficiency and performance.

That's what makes motor racing so boring to me nowadays, as it no longer has all that much to do with who makes the best car (power, handling etc), it's more or less just a competition between driver skill. That's probably why I like drag racing, it's still one of the sports that hasn't been totally level fielded, so that everyone has a chance at winning.

Cheers

Ray
Not sure about that, the F1 season this year was the closest since the 80's. 4 drivers going into the final race with a chance of the title and mutliple teams capable of podiums. 5 world champions in 5 years. Supercars this year multiple outcomes available. Lorenzo knocks off Rossi, Dungey wins supercross championship as a rookie. I think racing is just that - seeing people steer and show off their skills. Otherwise, if its just car technology, they might as well be robots. Motorsports pretty healthy atm.
As for drag racing, each to their own, but I would rather be poked in the eye with a hot needle than watch it. :)

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As for drag racing, each to their own, but I would rather be poked in the eye with a hot needle than watch it. :)
Go to an actual drag racing event (and I include tractor pulls) and you'll happily sit on a hot needle, rather than be forced to leave. :D

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Go to an actual drag racing event (and I include tractor pulls) and you'll happily sit on a hot needle, rather than be forced to leave. :D

Cheers

Ray
Lol, maybe. Its an old debate, but I've never seen the point. Its all about power, very 1D. Motorsports all about the 'basic' bits and pieces like braking, cornering and stuff. Oh and skill...;)

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I agree with Ray, there is nothing - NOTHING - that approaches the buzz of being at the dragstrip when two Top Fuelers do a sub-5 second side by side pass. The noise and fury is simply unbelievable.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Drag races are ok if your used to premiture ejaculation, presonally I like races that go a longer. I would like to see more manufacturers in V8 Supercars so there is a bigger brand vs brand competition and I love Le Mans as there is always a mix of vehicles in the race and some end up suprisingly good.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, but most modern car racing is like going at it as hard as you can, but in the end, nothing happens and everyone ends up dissatisfied.:p

Cheers

Ray

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Yeah, but most modern car racing is like going at it as hard as you can, but in the end, nothing happens and everyone ends up dissatisfied.:p

Cheers

Ray
Nah, a couple modern races that have only been birthed in the last decade or so are Drift and Ute racing. They are both very entertaining.

In the end, at least we don't have NASCAR as the national motorsport, that sht sucks arse!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts