Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday guys not actually sure whats going on but moved the patrol in the back yard to get ready for the auto glazier to replace my windscreen parked her up made a cup of coffee came out and there is a puddle of ATF fluid under the vehicle and also some leaking from the breather along the wheelarch passanger side? Also notice oil is all the way up the dipstick? Transmission serviced about 4 months ago and just yesterday i checked all my fluids before heading out on my usual 1.5 hour drive, wtf is going on!!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Road surface Asphalt Brickwork Brick Flooring

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,627 Posts
You have an auto trans I assume.

Have a look at the breather on the top of the box and see where it runs to. I am not aware of the factory spot, but engine bay sounds likely. Make sure your breather is not blocked.

The oil on the bottom of the gearbox has not leaked from the drain hole in the bottom of the bellhousing by the looks of it. It seems to be coming from where the housing bolts on to the gearbox. The breather on the RE4 is on the rear of the box, on the LH side, just in front of the extension housing. Seems unlikely that the oil would be coming out of there and then dripping off the bottom of the box. Also if the breather was blocked, you would not get ATF in the engine bay. Not looking good.

@JFF45 is our resident authority on the RE4, so perhaps he can help here.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have an auto trans I assume.

Have a look at the breather on the top of the box and see where it runs to. I am not aware of the factory spot, but engine bay sounds likely. Make sure your breather is not blocked.

The oil on the bottom of the gearbox has not leaked from the drain hole in the bottom of the bellhousing by the looks of it. It seems to be coming from where the housing bolts on to the gearbox. The breather on the RE4 is on the rear of the box, on the LH side, just in front of the extension housing. Seems unlikely that the oil would be coming out of there and then dripping off the bottom of the box. Also if the breather was blocked, you would not get ATF in the engine bay. Not looking good.

@JFF45 is our resident authority on the RE4, so perhaps he can help here.
Hi mate the breather goes to the engine bay and pokes through the passanger wheelarch which is where it also leaked from so ill rule out a blocked breather ive just washed her down after she is dry.ill start her up and see where she is leaking from..

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,627 Posts
If the oil level is now way up the dipstick and it wasn't yesterday, then that is an odd issue. The oil level will vary when the engine is running, as the engine drives the oil pump in the box. So you start the engine, the gearbox oil pump starts working, and in turn the sump level lowers. Just like our engine.

·
Registered
nissan
5,213 Posts
Taking the time to read workshop manuals doesn’t make me an authority :)

If the level was correct yesterday and way too high today that just doesn’t make any sense..

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gday @JFF45 , im completely lost mate, oil level is correct (even though ive just arked may dipsick on the battery and melted it🤬) only thing i can notice is once the vehicle is running the oil level is way too high on the dipstick and the dipstick is frothy like? Also the gurgling noise that i can here from the pasanger side when i turn her off ive never heard that before?? I have an external trans cooler.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update, seems like a problem with the breather, ive just disconnected the hose from the breather on the bottom of the trans as it goes to a rubber hose, i blew air into the hose and the trans oil came out of the dipstick which explains the loss of oil from there, ran the vehicle shifted through gears with the hose off then turned her off and checked the level on my dipstick its low which its what it should be, now going to investigate more...
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas Bumper

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok correct me if im wrong but it seems the breather should be a one way valve? So it should suck or blow but not both like mine is doing?
Also it seems like the breather for the diff is connected via T piece to the trans breather hose that goes to the wheelarch?.
So i connected the bottom hose to the trans again removed the pipe that goes through to the wheelarch blew in there and also sucked in and i was able to, also now im certain this is where my issue with the gurgling noise is!
So now how do i go about repairing it?
Wood Finger Gas Nail Building material
Automotive tire Gas Wood Bumper Rim

·
Registered
nissan
5,213 Posts
You shouldn’t have fluid coming out of the breather. It suggests the trans was overfilled at some point.
Here‘s a pic of the breather on the top left rear of the casing. I’ve put a tungsten in the hole to show where it breathes from.

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Alloy wheel Vehicle brake

·
Registered
nissan
5,213 Posts
I would drain the pan into a clean container and measure it. Should be 4 - 4.5 lts, then blow the breather clear and put the fluid back in through a fine gauze.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts