Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the specs for the ford xflow they seem to be not bad comparaison to sd33t 300 rpm higher for torque ( early xflows) easy to get easy to work on
What's your thoughts

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
are talking you about a 250 x flow?. if so yeah i like em they got balls when you spruce them up abit,bigger carby, cam, port polish. they'll run mid 13 quaters in the early 80s falcons.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Mates fitting a 250X to his MQ at the moment inplace of an L28, hes taking his time tho, Ill let you know how it goes. Cam, dished pistons, big carby, ported and polished all the good stuff.

I found him a Dellows (I think) conversion kit from a member on here.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,260 Posts
Traditionally, when Ford 250s are used in fourbys, they tend to overheat due to small water capacity in the block. So make sure your radiator is ample big enough.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys
Benos I know there diff in size but also looking at other moor options besides v8 the 250 xflow has better torque at lower revs than most of the other sixes

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The 250 x flow are a really good cheap donk,especially the xd,xe,xf era
Free to a coupla hundred will get ya a complete running falcon
They looove the juice,always have
Comparing the engine cost Vs conversion cost ,6 cyl against V8
V8 would be the better option
Compring a 4.1 L petrol against an SD33T,well would ceratinly be a good little test

Money is on the SD
Comparing the L28 petrol against the x flow well thats different
Really depends what sorta vintage x flow your chasin,pre EFI,post EFI ect ect
Comparing say and old school x flow against an old school hemi 6,the hemi will absolutely smash the x flow
Then again so will the wallet cope a hiding running the hemi
The new later model falcon motors are the go

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
I would put an AU engine in it! wiring isn't hard! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
ok, could you possibly get a late model engine and incorperate a old inlet and carby on. that way you would have OHC engine with a carby.

or maybe a EA center point injection ,they are simple as and are easy to get a hold of

if you go with an older style x-flow i think you can put Cleveland roller rockers on to change rocker ratio for more power,not positive though

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cheers oilrig
i looked online to the hp/torque and the older xflow has better torque at lower revs
i was thinking the ohc type and puttin holley etc and modifying xe dizzy tofit but at 2300 rpm for the peak torque on the old xflow thats pretty good add decent cam extractors better carby and would be pretty good
i used to have an xc falcon with an awesome 250xflow was a pretty quick car

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
ok cool,good engines hey. im not 100% on my cleveland roller rocker statement but i think my old man told me that when i was younger,cant recall.

good luck with it mate. also a small turbo could make it a bit more fun :)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Not 100% certain,but mixing and matching inlet manifolds between older motors and newer motors
Could have issues with the port design ect
Youve determined nothing injected
So id be looking for an XE 2V (factory 2 barrell) motor,althought it would be electric ignition

The duks guts is the newer falcon turbo donks
Man these have lots of power
Know of a few 12 sec street cars,and very docile for street duty
Well over 500 KW from these
But $$$$$

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
The alloy head xflow from late xe and early xf i believe to be the best to look for.
They are the last of the leaded models (but can run on unleaded anyway - this was just before all the unleaded fuel was being used). All alloy head models can use unleaded - alloy heads came in half way through the XD model but the xd alloys still used the single barrel stromberg. earlier xe heads still had the smaller valves as the cast iron head models.
The engine to look for should have a "'C1 or C1a" cast into the head in between the 1st and 2nd inlet ports.
The later xf has C2 cast there and that is known as the unleaded model, these ones do ping badly using 91oct fuel, also the electronic distributor is not as simple.
the c1 head engines are best i believe as:
-They have larger inlet valves and the manifolds are already fitted with 2bbl weber adm34.
-Simple module type electronic distributor.
-weight 18kg less than cast iron models.
If you use and earlier cast iron head model you can fit an allloy head later to it, but use the C1 head as the C2 will give way too much compression (it has a small chamber).
Note though, the cast iron has different intake and exhaust bolt patterns and they are not interchangeable with alloy heads (but you can get multi fit extractors.

been researching this for myself for a few months now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts