Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my y62 back from the 20k service and the stung me for $137 for an "air cleaner kit" according to the invoice. I open up the air box when i get home and the old one is still in there, and they haven't even cleaned it. The air cleaner elements are time and date stamped (11/2012), so I am sure it it the one that was in the car when I last checked it back in May. It still has lotsa leaves jammed in the dirty side.

I assume an "air cleaner kit" is a new element? Doesn't anyone know for sure? For a hundred and forty bucks I assume it's the whole element.

I check the handbook and nissan don't require the air cleaner to be replaced until 40k. So it seems that not only have I been charged for something I didn't need done, but they seem to have charged me for it and not done it. :confused:

Second issue is that the alternator doesn't seem to be charging all the time. I watch my volt meter and it is all over the place, sometimes less than 13v and sometimes more than 15v. Has anyone noticed this on their y62? I have a redarc dual battery controller on the aux circuit that feeds the trailer brakes and the Anderson connectors on the tow bar, as I am driving along the voltage drops below 12.6 and the redarc relay switches off, as a result I no longer have trailer brakes sometimes! Nissan said there is nothing wrong with the alternator, but when idling there is only 12.0v only the battery which can't be right. Suggestions? Doesn't anyone know what the active battery voltage control system is supposed to do?

Mick.

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Your correct the air cleaner is not due at 20k, I just had my 20k service done cost me $585 part of the fixed price servicing, plus I ordered a K&N air filter from the US, took a few months to get it though. If your looking for one its the filter out of the Infiniti QX56
If you have and accessory negatives connected straight to the battery negativeincluding the redarc, there is a current monitor and it won't detect anything connected straight to the negative and then the variable voltage alternator won't charge properly, you need to connect all negatives to a negative point on the body or engine
I installed a negative post near the battery with the a heavy cable from this to the negative plate on the body and all my negatives connect to this

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My service was fixed price too-$585, of which $137 was the "air cleaner kit". Did they change your air cleaner? Or give you a discount?

There is nothing directly connected to the battery, I read that it the manual and checked.

Reactions: Willys Jeep

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
No they didn't because I had the K&N, but they did say it wasn't due either, I will have to check that out now

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No they didn't because I had the K&N, but they did say it wasn't due either, I will have to check that out now
Reading the book the 20k service is basically an oil change, combined with inspect exhaust, brakes, belts, fluids etc etc.

Basically change the oil, put the thing on the hoist, check nothing is falling off, connect diagnostic tool, check codes, then bill customer the best part of $600.

It's a joke.

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Well I just checked and my K&N filter is still in the car yet they have charged me the $132 for a new filter, so Monday I'm going down there to get my $132 back

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geezus. That's fraud. Pure and simple. Charging for a service you didn't provide is a crime.

By the way it's your shout if I see you down the pub. I just saved you $132!!!!!

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
Could be an honest mistake. Dont go in guns blazing. I imagine the ecu would control the alternator charge rate on a y62. Therefore it would basically switch off the alternator when not required.

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could be an honest mistake. Dont go in guns blazing. I imagine the ecu would control the alternator charge rate on a y62. Therefore it would basically switch off the alternator when not required.
Honest mistake? What are the odds that the Perth dealer and the Wollongong dealer both didn't change or even check the air cleaners and still charged $132? I smell a rat, big time.

I have had 2 flat batteries in 3 months. I am not convinced that the alternator isn't required!

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
The guys at Midland Nissan have been pretty good in the past and I did say to them when I dropped the car off that if the airfilter was to be changed not to as I had a K&N in there so possibly and oversight,see what they say on Monday

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
Ah I didint read the thread properly. Didint realise there were 2 cases.

·
Registered
nissan
268 Posts
I recently changed my air filter. The old one is not too dirty so will clean and have as spare. Newie cost me about $60.

On the charger....it seems to move through a range between just below the mid point to just above. Not always obvious reason for movement. I assume the main management system is constantly dealing with the whatever
needs. No battery issues to date.

John b

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
All stealerships do it. Jf I ever trust a dealership to service my cars again Ill be marking all filters and any parts they might change. I once had Ford look at my wifes car as she broke down just down the road from them. $1000 just to diagnose the problem. F that!! Changed out a $120 coil, all good!!

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Went and saw Nissan today and the air filter kit listed on the 20k service is for the air and pollen filters for the Air-conditioning not the engine air filter

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$132 for the air conditioning filter? Wow. At least I haven't been overcharged I suppose.

Reactions: DVG

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: alternator is cactus, needs to be replaced. Need to pull one off the Ti-L on the showroom floor as there aren't any in Aus. Can't be done today. At least they know what it is now.

I suppose that means they aren't thinking they will sell that Ti-L anytime soon!

Reactions: preacher
1 - 20 of 34 Posts