Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I'm turboing a TD42 here in the UK and wanting to fit an EGT gauge while everything is apart, any recommendations on good and bad makes etc, are the probes a fixed length or on a gland, do probes ever wear out, can they break off and go into the engine? do the gauges need to have a probe matched to them, do gauges have calibrations adjustments to say ambient temp when car is cold for example, new to all this

Looking on ebay uk there are gauges from old aircraft ones to boy racer stepper motor ones, etc etc, I'm a bit lost.

And lastly, probe before or after turbo, perhaps you could post pictures of your probe installs, thankyou!

Here is the turbo setup I have FYI, don't know much about it other than it was put on a TD42 when it was new in 1991 in Australia.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more questions: how is probe held in the bung, collar with olive in? (single use?) what is this made from, would brass withstand the temps or would it have to be stainless steel? How much probe do I need sticking into the exhuast gas, was thinking its a bit of restriction, especially in the exhaust, as its narrow there just where it exits the turbo. ta. Also I was thinking of buying a gauge and probe separately (some very cheap items out there) but would want to test this before installing to check accuracy, do you think i could hold a piece of aluminium (melting point 660°c) next to the probe and put them in a flame and check what temp the gauge says when the aluminium melts?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hi dude... Uuuummm, you posted this in the GU (Y61) section.

Might have more luck if you wack it in the GQ (Y60 area of the Forum)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll answer some of your questions for you:
can they break off and go into the engine? No, however if it's mounted before the turbo (between the engine and the turbo) then it's possible for a broken probe to damage the turbo.
do the gauges need to have a probe matched to them? I think all of them have matched probes and wiring - ie don't shorten or lengthen the wire between the probe and the gauge or it will be inaccurate.
do gauges have calibrations adjustments to say ambient temp when car is cold? Mine doesn't (Autometer) but other brands may do.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, sorry I get confused as the car is known as Y60 worldwide and for some reason the Aussies decided to call it something else, and I can never remember which is which. Any idea why they named them _Q ? But i guess the question is just as relevant for Y60 as its a general EGT probe question.

I've seen people selling very low priced probes such as
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250719385230

he also sells LED meters I see (not usually used on vehicles I would imagine but they make 12 volt ones )

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Thanks, sorry I get confused as the car is known as Y60 worldwide and for some reason the Aussies decided to call it something else, and I can never remember which is which. Any idea why they named them _Q ? But i guess the question is just as relevant for Y60 as its a general EGT probe question.

I've seen people selling very low priced probes such as
Thermocouple K Type Probe Temperature Sensors 50mmL 2m (eBay item 250719385230 end time 07-Nov-10 08:58:15 AEDST) : Industrial

he also sells LED meters I see (not usually used on vehicles I would imagine but they make 12 volt ones )
Yes the Y60 is the known model world wide, its also known as a GQ in Aus.
The above item from ebay is adequate for the application that you have described above. Many people in Aus have purchased the digital readouts without any issues.

Below the GU/GR section, there is the GQ/Y60 section, which is what the evil twin is refering to.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'll answer some of your questions for you:
can they break off and go into the engine? No, however if it's mounted before the turbo (between the engine and the turbo) then it's possible for a broken probe to damage the turbo.
do the gauges need to have a probe matched to them? I think all of them have matched probes and wiring - ie don't shorten or lengthen the wire between the probe and the gauge or it will be inaccurate.
do gauges have calibrations adjustments to say ambient temp when car is cold? Mine doesn't (Autometer) but other brands may do.

Hope this helps.

You don't need to exactly match probes as long as you use the "type" of thermocouple for that particular gauge and you can shorten or lengthen the wiring as much as you want to (within reason). You just need to, again, use the correct thermocouple wire for the "type of thermocouple probe.

Most people won't bother too shorten the wire, I certainly don't... just coil any excess up in an unobtrusive spot.

To lengthen... VDO include extension wiring with most of their Thermocouples otherwise you can buy it at any better Electrical Instrumentation outlet

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks
Chap selling those probes says his meters don't work properly on 12vdc :( where did you guys get your meters like that from?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts