Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I am considering adding an auxiliary tank to my GQ (TD42). I want to configure it as an independent tank using a 6 Port Polak valve or similar device. I have inquired of LRA and Brown Davis and was told that they will not install an auxiliary tank in that manner; they will only install the aux tank to pump into the main tank.

Brown Davis said the reasoning behind this is that the independent tank requires a hefty pump to feed the injectors and this makes the configuration too expensive.

My query is, does the fuel system on the GQ (TD42) include a pump at the fuel tank that feeds fuel to the IP, or does the IP suck from the tank to feed the injectors?

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,802 Posts
There's no pump in the tank, the IP sucks the diesel up. I (and I'm sure many others) have a 6 port changeover valve. It really came into its own last year when the auxiliary tank sprang a leak out in the desert.

Flicked the switch, and suddenly I was draining that tank, rather than waiting several days for the LR tank to be empty enough to pump the fuel over.

If I had my time over again, I'd seriously consider using two three port valves (one for pickup, and one for return) and switching them independently so that I could pump fuel from one tank to the other using the engine.

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks dkril, I thought that was the case re the pump. Sounds as though they don't want the job. Will find someone to fit a tank with 6 port valve somewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts